Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-29-2022, 01:10 AM   #1
SpeedFreak14

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Vibration in Track mode PTM active

I have ‘17 SS 1LE with about 19k miles. Over the past few months I started using track mode and it’s PTM modes more often for spirited street driving, rather than only using sport mode with competition mode active. I noticed when using track mode, I’d get a vibration throughout the vehicle primarily when transitioning from a medium ‘g’ turn to returning the steering wheel back to center. This vibration was initially just audible, sounded like a stereo bass vibration throughout the interior in about 1 second bursts each time when returning to center on the wheel. It’s been getting worse, more frequent even while turning in higher ‘g’ maneuvers and felt in the steering wheel and pedals. It’s rare in low ‘g’ maneuvers. Weirdly enough, it occurs with track mode only when any PTM mode is active or when traction + stability control are turned off. Doesn’t occur in track mode when only traction control is off or when everything is kept on. Noticeable throughout the vehicle with the radio on or off.

Any ideas what this is? I can upload a YouTube video off the noise if desired. It’s starting to concern me that there’s something worth investigating.
SpeedFreak14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Could be an e-diff or powersteering related issue
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:04 PM   #3
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Is it the sound of the engine cutting power to manage traction? It does it in a different way when your in the PTM modes and sounds very strange if you don't know what it is.
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
SpeedFreak14

No loss of power, no strange handling inputs, no lost of traction. I haven’t tried it at a super wide range of speeds but I know it happens at least between 35-65mph consistently. Just a vibration in about a 1 second burst. I had the rear diff fluid changed at about 2000 miles. The car gets regular maintenance. I figured it had to be something unique about using PTM, but was surprised when it still did it by just holding the button to disable traction and stability control. But again, doesn’t do it in sport mode PTM, only with track.

I’ll give a look to power steering, but that wouldn’t really explain it being mode specific.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:02 PM   #5
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak14 View Post
No loss of power, no strange handling inputs, no lost of traction. I haven’t tried it at a super wide range of speeds but I know it happens at least between 35-65mph consistently. Just a vibration in about a 1 second burst. I had the rear diff fluid changed at about 2000 miles. The car gets regular maintenance. I figured it had to be something unique about using PTM, but was surprised when it still did it by just holding the button to disable traction and stability control. But again, doesn’t do it in sport mode PTM, only with track.

I’ll give a look to power steering, but that wouldn’t really explain it being mode specific.
Suppose it could if you are using different power steering settings for track and sport.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:49 PM   #6
SpeedFreak14

I use tour steering for everything.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:42 PM   #7
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Being that it only happens in Track mode is definitely strange. Could it be the MRC dampers?
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:47 PM   #8
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Do you have PDR?
Old 08-30-2022, 07:50 PM   #9
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Drives: 22 1LE 2SS M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briland_1LE View Post
Is it the sound of the engine cutting power to manage traction? It does it in a different way when your in the PTM modes and sounds very strange if you don't know what it is.

This is right on the money, if it sounds similar to a tractor trailer engine braking then it is normal when driving in PTM mode.

Try the same road or turns in different modes and it will be a different experience.

PTM "Wet" mode it will happen more often and PTM 3 and race mode will be almost non existent.

Also could be diff fluid need change again or maybe time for elsd module fluid change given the age of the car?

2020 Red Hot Camaro 2SS 1LE/PDR /Sold

2018 black Camaro 2SS M6 Redline Edition/Traded

2016 summit white Camaro RS V6 M6/Traded

Last edited by mano_camaro; 08-30-2022 at 08:11 PM.
mano_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:08 PM   #10
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
He said it happens when he turns everything off though so that can't be right.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:30 PM   #11
SpeedFreak14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Do you have PDR?
Yep, I haven’t tried recording while it happens though.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:39 PM   #12
SpeedFreak14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano_camaro View Post
This is right on the money, if it sounds similar to a tractor trailer engine braking then it is normal when driving in PTM mode.

Try the same road or turns in different modes and it will be a different experience.

PTM "Wet" mode it will happen more often and PTM 3 and race mode will be almost non existent.

Also could be diff fluid need change again or maybe time for elsd module fluid change given the age of the car?
It’s independent of throttle on/off. But it’s not anything cutting power. I’ve felt the ESC cut in and it’s 100% not that. My thought was it has to be something in the dampers or steering, or maybe the e-diff, but I really have no idea how to even pinpoint it without extensive instrumentation.

I supposed a fluid change in the diff wouldn’t hurt.

Little background on me: I’ve worked in automotive test engineering for about 6 years. It’s something I’ve definitely thought about contacting GM to see if they’ve got any ideas but figured I try this forum first. Also there’s no performance mods on the car. Just rockers panels and a wickerbill.
Old 08-31-2022, 12:17 AM   #13
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Sounds really weird.

I would have guessed it was PTM cutting timing, as that does definitely generate a vibration of sorts, but it's throttle position dependent which the OP has refuted, so I guess that's out.

Also thought it could be ABS related (I've seen ABS activate on track in some unexpected places by looking at the PDR data in PI toolbox), but then presumably that would be PTM mode independent, which also doesn't fit the bill.

E-diff seems like a possible culprit, since it's modes do change with PTM and nannie status.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ptm mode, ss 1le, track mode, vibration