#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Anyone using an RPM Roll Bar?

Hello,

Trying to find a Roll Bar for my ZL1 1LE. The Studio RSR looks great but it's very expensive. My installer recommended a company called AutoPower but they don't have one for the 6th gen yet. I found RPM has one however the site only shows photos of the 6 point and I'm wondering if anyone has installed the 4 point RPM roll bar. Any photos or opinions would be welcome.

Thank you,

David
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
It is a slippery slope, and I am by no means an expert.

No bolt -in
weld in to chassis only
needs top bar
cant use stock seats
need 6 point harness
hans

do it right or not at all

trust me , I too wanted to go "harness bar only" on stock seats. not worth it man.
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #3
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by full*throttle*therapy View Post
It is a slippery slope...trust me , I too wanted to go "harness bar only" on stock seats. not worth it man.
Thanks very much for your post, I gave up on the harness bar long ago. I was told all about how they make things worse in a roll-over. I'm asking about the RMP roll bar (they have a 4 point and a 6 point version.)

Too bad we can't order the cars from the factory with all these safety items pre-installed.
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
It looks more like a drag style bar to me. I’m thinking about going custom. Hesitant to go down that road as modern cars are super safe. I also like using AC seats while on track, ha!
Old 08-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
Red Lightening

Drives: 2016 SS Camaro Convertible
RPM Chromoly roll cage install

I just installed on my convertible. I am sure it was much easier than a hard top, but the install is similar on both. About an 8 hour job, but certainly can be done DYI. Very little instructions on important elements such as cutting the side panel trim, so a little sketchy, but overall turned out awesome! Feel free to pm me for additional questions.
Attached Images

Red Lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:

No bolt -in
weld in to chassis only
needs top bar
cant use stock seats
need 6 point harness
hans

trust me , I too wanted to go "harness bar only" on stock seats. not worth it man.
TELL ME ABOUT IT!!
I am a perfect lab rat!
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lightening View Post
I just installed on my convertible. I am sure it was much easier than a hard top, but the install is similar on both. About an 8 hour job, but certainly can be done DYI. Very little instructions on important elements such as cutting the side panel trim, so a little sketchy, but overall turned out awesome! Feel free to pm me for additional questions.
Hope like heck you now wont street your car, unless with a helmet on.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
I have a bespoke half cage for sale. It is a weld in and built by a very reputable shop. I never installed it. It is powder coated red hot.

I paid too much for it, and will take a loss. If anyone is interested message me. I'd like to sell it to someone here and not joe public.
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #9
Homeless Junkie

Drives: around in circles few days a month
Quote:

No bolt -in
weld in to chassis only
needs top bar
cant use stock seats
need 6 point harness
hans

I trust you but was hoping you would explain your post and gimme advice. Harness bars don't work well with the stock seat? I don't need a six point roll cage and Hans equipment until I run with the fastest, Expert/Advanced, group. I'm far from that group so I was thinking of going half way.

I was planning to buy a harness bar from Winding Road Racing and a 6 point harness. I was thinking this should help with sliding around in the seat during high speed turns. Plus this way if I get stuck in immediate/advanced I'm legal. Next, I was thinking the next mod would be a more secure seat but down the road a few months.

I'm guessing this isn't a good plan considering what you wrote. So, just to be clear, Six point cage, seat and harness or nothing? right? Any suggestions? I'm open to advice.
Homeless Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #10
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I would recommend against using a harness bar/harness with stock seats. Just a personal preference at this point.

However,

In years past there has been a lot of discussion on the safety of this. The theory is stock seats are designed to "break away" or "recline" in a rollover. Using a harness bar, harness, stock seats, and no rollover protection would prevent this from happening. In my line of work I have come across a few rollovers and have not seen this happen. So I don't know if this is still a factor.

What I will ask is, what is your reasoning for wanting all this? Just to hold you better in the seat? I tend to agree with the all or nothing mentality. Though, there are now ASM approved 4-points that work in a completely stock car. This may do the trick for you? Never used one.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #11
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Whew that roll bar in that convertible looks dangerous.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #12
pierrotss

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS 2019 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lightening View Post
That is sharp!
I just had one installed on a 2019 SS convertible. I'll get the car back later this week from the shop and was shopping padding so I needed a good view of one installed. I'll get BSCI padding SFI 45.1 compliant.

You got the best ever pictures of the roll bar and the install. My shop had a hell of a time installing it I heard, no clear directions or instructions, but that's an excellent rollbar they say. Dying to get the car back.

What kind/brand of harness did you install? and what type? 4 points? 5? latch? Did you modify your seat for the anti-submarine strap, if one used?

Thanks for the post!

Pierre
pierrotss is offline   Reply With Quote