Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-22-2023, 08:48 PM   #15
SDF62

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Ok guys, I worked for Weights and Measures in Missouri for 10 plus years. Half of that time, I worked in the petroleum lab and was a field compliance inspector. I was the guy that checked all the stations for fuel quality and quantity.
So, for the question about tankers...most of the time there won't be a problem. There is always some sediment present but the pump filtration likely will pick it up. Water on the other hand, can get through the filtration. The fill process will stir up the tank contents. As said earlier, water being heavier will sink to the bottom. Water can get in through faulty fill caps or often times, the caps covering the tank vents are missing. So, for me...if a fill is going on, I pass. Just my $.02.....
SDF62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:42 AM   #16
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDF62 View Post
Ok guys, I worked for Weights and Measures in Missouri for 10 plus years. Half of that time, I worked in the petroleum lab and was a field compliance inspector. I was the guy that checked all the stations for fuel quality and quantity.
So, for the question about tankers...most of the time there won't be a problem. There is always some sediment present but the pump filtration likely will pick it up. Water on the other hand, can get through the filtration. The fill process will stir up the tank contents. As said earlier, water being heavier will sink to the bottom. Water can get in through faulty fill caps or often times, the caps covering the tank vents are missing. So, for me...if a fill is going on, I pass. Just my $.02.....
Exactly! It’s not the sediment, it’s the water.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:54 AM   #17
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
If it makes you feel better

If it makes you feel better then do what you need to do. I know I've moved on to the next station when a fill was occurring.

But realistically, and for all any one of us really knows, that tanker may have finished it's fill and left the station 5 minutes before you arrived...
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 08:19 AM   #18
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Ok guys, I worked for Weights and Measures in Missouri for 10 plus years.
Thank you for your expertise.
I actually googled into this a bit, and sdf62 probably knows all this.
Water in the holding tanks is almost unavoidable in small amounts. Larger amounts suggest ingress. The main problem is tank corrosion in older tanks, which leads to sediment which typically gets caught by the filter. There are fuel/water separators available, but it is up to the facility to decide if they are needed. And none of this makes much difference if the tanker refill of the ground tank is actively stirring things up.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 08:49 AM   #19

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I avoid the station when a tanker is there....not because of bad gas, but for fear of the damn thing blowing up....lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #20
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Yep, water…that can definitely be an issue. I hydro-locked my new GTI in 2014 after filling from half to full. It took less than a mile to occur. Whether ingress or a recent station fill up was the cause, I’ll never know. My brother works at a dealer and an Audi came in w/the same problem from the same station. The volume of water in my tank was pretty staggering (I’d say 30-40% just based on eyeballing their buckets) .

The gas station kept selling gas from that pump, all day….while accepting blame for my issue as well as the Audi.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 10:13 AM   #21
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP08jrf View Post
But realistically, and for all any one of us really knows, that tanker may have finished it's fill and left the station 5 minutes before you arrived...
Now that is a very pragmatic answer and very much true. Skip the station with a visual tanker fill, but there is no assurance any other time.

Around my home, I stick to the same stations. As long as no issues, I continue using them. I just came from a 1,500 mile cross country road trip and there were times I just had to use the gas station that was on my way. No guarantees in life, some times you just have to wing it.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:29 AM   #22
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I only gas up between 7:00-8:00 AM on a Saturday unless travelling, and haven't done any of that for almost 2 yrs, so I never expect to see a truck at that time.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 10:35 AM   #23
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Exactly! It’s not the sediment, it’s the water.
BINGO!
Old 06-23-2023, 10:40 AM   #24
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Just thinking . . . if gasoline is drawn out of reservoir tank that is underground, wouldn't it be pumped from the bottom of the reservoir? I wouldn't expect it to be taken from up higher. So if it is taken from the bottom of the reservoir, and water is denser than gasoline, wouldn't it be more likely to have water pumped out if the reservoir is 'quiet'? Would it mean you would be less likely to get water when the contents being moved around when new fuel is being added from a tanker truck?
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:09 PM   #25
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMaro View Post
What is your take on this theory/story/whatever:

I will not fill up my gas when I see a tanker truck refilling the tanks at the gas station. I will give it a day to settle in their tanks before I fill up. The idea that the gas filling the tank at the station would cause sediment to be stirred up which would then feed into my car from the pump.

Is this a bogus thought? Is there any truth to it? The tanker trucks themselves have filters, the tanks/pumps at the station have filters, and the majority of stations now all use plastic lined tanks so the amount of sediment in the tanks would be minimal at best.

A completely moronic thought process?
Worst story I heard which happened recently where I live. Tanker Driver knew he was being fired, so he mixed Diesel and regular gas tanks. Caused a whole bunch of damage to car engines.

Last I heard the gas station paid for repairs and compensation for those people.

So even if sediment isn't an issue might be good to wait a day just in case.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote