Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-24-2023, 08:57 AM   #1
Cristi

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro ss
Trunk will not open w/ unique circumstances

Hey folks I REALLY need some help here. I believe I have a relatively simple problem with my 2010 Camaro ss coupe but have an incredibly unique and complicated set of bad circumstances happen that are preventing me from fixing it. Without making the post too long the basics are that I badly need to get access to my trunk. I have a loose battery connection that has left me without power. I can get enough power to it to push the button and it clicks but the trunk still does not release. And yes I know there is an emergency release that can be accessed by lowering the back seat but a few months ago I had a $5000 custom built audio system put in the car and there is a large non-movable speaker box in the way that only has maybe a half inch gap from the top the box to the trunk lid to work with. I can't get enough power to it to start it. Locksmith won't touch it. HELP!!!
Cristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
only has maybe a half inch gap from the top the box to the trunk
Make a hook end of the iron wire and try to open the emergency release with it.

Btw.If you can open it, put a thin nylon string/fishing line in emergency release.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
Cristi

Yes I've been trying for 4 days to catch that release with a slim Jim, a plumbing snake, a wire hanger, and even got an endoscope to help with no luck yet. Maybe it's the blonde hair but I don't seem to be very good at finding it. Lol
Old 06-24-2023, 10:23 AM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Hey folks I REALLY need some help here. I believe I have a relatively simple problem with my 2010 Camaro ss coupe but have an incredibly unique and complicated set of bad circumstances happen that are preventing me from fixing it. Without making the post too long the basics are that I badly need to get access to my trunk. I have a loose battery connection that has left me without power. I can get enough power to it to push the button and it clicks but the trunk still does not release. And yes I know there is an emergency release that can be accessed by lowering the back seat but a few months ago I had a $5000 custom built audio system put in the car and there is a large non-movable speaker box in the way that only has maybe a half inch gap from the top the box to the trunk lid to work with. I can't get enough power to it to start it. Locksmith won't touch it. HELP!!!
If you can get it to click try having someone either push down on the trunk lid, or pull up on it and see if it will release when it is clicking. Mine did that a few times when the weather strip stuck to the underside of the trunk and wouldn't let it "pop" up when I pushed the button, it clicked but didn't open until I did that. Good luck, hope ya get it!
Old 06-24-2023, 04:39 PM   #5
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Try hooking up a battery charger under the hood at the battery cunnections there. May get enough juice to activate the solenoid.

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 06:37 AM   #6
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Sounds like someone didn't think things through spending a truckload of money on a sound system that is essentially no use for getting access to the trunk.

Lesson learned. If you're going to block emergency access, rig up a fishing line as mentioned to the back seat area as a contingency plan.

Concur with Levon's plan here. Hook up a battery charger to the connections under the hood. It should provide enough juice to the system to pop the solenoid proper.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #7
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
Let us know how things turn out
Old 06-26-2023, 07:25 PM   #8
Cristi

I finally got it! Connecting cables either to another car or to a jump starter would give it enough power but still would not open the trunk. I finally got to the emergency release with an endoscope secured to a plumbing snake and a coat hanger in this 105° weather we are having here. I have replaced the battery and have rigged a wire up to the release and run it over the speaker box to the back seat area in case anything like this happens again. Only now the trunk didn't want to close. I used a screwdriver to pry open the closing mechanism and have got it to close but it still won't pop open with the buttons. I will be trying to check that out and fix it as soon as it cools down a bit. Thank you everyone for the help.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:26 PM   #9
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Appears your solenoid may be dying on you. GM p/n 13501988, superseded to 13513995.

They list for 179.23 from GM, but if you buy it elsewhere, it's <120. They're on a grunch of other car models too.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...latch-13513995

There's used on ebay, but then, what's the chance of you getting the same as what you have now?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385574624198

Unless you want another brand of Chinesium. There's aftermarket stuff that they're selling out there, and remember, they're cheaper for a reason. That I wouldn't do, but it's not my money.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:20 PM   #10
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
rigged a wire up to the release and run it over the speaker box to the back seat area in case anything like this happens again.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote