Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-03-2023, 05:03 PM   #1
Ckmerc

Drives: 2013 zl1
Mag Ride time bomb?

So are the mag ride on our gen 5s zl1 just a ticking time bomb?

Been reading about mag ride issues and parts availability..etc.

What I was wondering is it a matter of when not if. Ie do mag rides fail for most gen 5s and then we have to convert to air alternatives?

Are gen 6s better or would those experience same issue?

My new to me 13 zl1 with 26k miles is wonderful but now I am wondering how much more I will need to stick into if this is inevitable?
Ckmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:56 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckmerc View Post
So are the mag ride on our gen 5s zl1 just a ticking time bomb?

Been reading about mag ride issues and parts availability..etc.

What I was wondering is it a matter of when not if. Ie do mag rides fail for most gen 5s and then we have to convert to air alternatives?

Are gen 6s better or would those experience same issue?

My new to me 13 zl1 with 26k miles is wonderful but now I am wondering how much more I will need to stick into if this is inevitable?
The 6th gen is the 3rd generation of Mag for GM, ZL1 was the 2nd, STS caddie Seville was the 1st..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:35 PM   #3
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
The 6th gen is the 3rd generation of Mag for GM, ZL1 was the 2nd, STS caddie Seville was the 1st..
Thanks..but two questions please….

Is it just a matter of time before it fails?

How much for mag delete work that still allows for use of the various modes?
Old 06-03-2023, 10:05 PM   #4
ZMEnow

Quote:
Thanks..but two questions please….

Is it just a matter of time before it fails?

How much for mag delete work that still allows for use of the various modes?
The question when is inevitable for any strut. Most struts have diminished ride after 28k, but most people don’t notice it. By mid 40k you are already feeling bumps harder and more roll in turns. Some will say not mine, they are just lucky that they don’t have the sensitivity to tell the diff and should just enjoy their rides but struts all wear. The mags have issues with the seal going bad and you will see a leak. The strut may still perform but over time it will lose more fluid and the ride will diminish.

I can’t answer
your second question because I don’t know what type of coil over your would go to and there’s endless options, but most have tried to come back to a mag strut if they can find them except those doing serious tracking.

Just enjoy it while you have it, it won’t be around for every and neither will you..
Old 06-03-2023, 10:51 PM   #5
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
The question when is inevitable for any strut. Most struts have diminished ride after 28k, but most people don’t notice it. By mid 40k you are already feeling bumps harder and more roll in turns. Some will say not mine, they are just lucky that they don’t have the sensitivity to tell the diff and should just enjoy their rides but struts all wear. The mags have issues with the seal going bad and you will see a leak. The strut may still perform but over time it will lose more fluid and the ride will diminish.

I can’t answer
your second question because I don’t know what type of coil over your would go to and there’s endless options, but most have tried to come back to a mag strut if they can find them except those doing serious tracking.

Just enjoy it while you have it, it won’t be around for every and neither will you..
First Thank you for responding..…on the second question….

Perhaps I am just not following…. So if mag ride fails..

Is mag ride no longer offered on vehicles so parts will be limited?

If so, and I do a standard coil over…do you lose all the zl1 performance mode suspension capabilities?

Just trying to understand..thanks again
Old 06-04-2023, 08:19 AM   #6
ZMEnow

Quote:
First Thank you for responding..…on the second question….

Perhaps I am just not following…. So if mag ride fails..

Is mag ride no longer offered on vehicles so parts will be limited?

If so, and I do a standard coil over…do you lose all the zl1 performance mode suspension capabilities?

Just trying to understand..thanks again
Assuming you know how the Mag strut works.. if you replace with a coil over it’s in a fix position while driving vs auto adjusting based on the ride sensor. You still have Tour, Sport modes and PTM if a coupe, but your struts no a longer adjust with the suspension control module. In those modes the suspension works with stabilitrac to keep the car straight.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:27 AM   #7
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Like anything mechanical eventually they will fail. GM is no longer offering replacements but there are plenty of solutions you just lose your push button for adjustability and ride quality. Hopefully someone will come up with an aftermarket mag ride or offer a rebuilding service but don't hold your breath. My suggestion is enjoy the car and don't worry about it.

FYI

My 20 year old 29,000 mile Corvette also has mag ride and they are still working perfecly.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:28 AM   #8
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Just enjoy it while you have it, it won’t be around for every and neither will you..[/QUOTE]

This has been my view since replacing the rears but every time I drive it I find myself thinking about this issue. Diminished pleasure has me thinking about selling it.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:34 AM   #9
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutale arancia View Post
This has been my view since replacing the rears but every time I drive it I find myself thinking about this issue. Diminished pleasure has me thinking about selling it.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.. this is what I also think… makes me consider selling and upgrading to a newer year zl1 or switching to mustang Shelby. However, looks like those have magrides as well.

What is typical cost of coil over mag ride delete on zl1 ? (I would not do it myself…)

Assume if one starts going (leaking)…..do you need to replace all struts with coil over?

Appreciate the advice
Old 06-04-2023, 12:55 PM   #10
Triple5even813
Learner of things

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 coupe, black
It's not cheap... several thousand dollars in parts and a couple days labor to do it right and re-align. I did mine and it was worth it. Have many many launches down the strip and tens of thousands of street miles since then and wouldn't go back. Went with dual adjustable coil-overs all around. Strange in the back and QA1 in the front. I would have gone with Strange for front also, but QA1s were available quick and priced right.

Only problem I have had is the shock sim modules failing prematurely, but luckily I have had great support and warranty on them from the mfr. (X-ineering). I suspect it may be heat or vibration killing them and no fault of the part.
2013 M6. Cammed, straight piped, 17# boost, E85. Tuned by CHenry Motorsports. 825rwhp @ 6450, 812 rwtq @ 3500. Stock unported blower, stock heads, stock bottom end, stock throttle body. Boost only, no meth, no nitrous
Triple5even813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:15 PM   #11
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple5even813 View Post
It's not cheap... several thousand dollars in parts and a couple days labor to do it right and re-align. I did mine and it was worth it. Have many many launches down the strip and tens of thousands of street miles since then and wouldn't go back. Went with dual adjustable coil-overs all around. Strange in the back and QA1 in the front. I would have gone with Strange for front also, but QA1s were available quick and priced right.

Only problem I have had is the shock sim modules failing prematurely, but luckily I have had great support and warranty on them from the mfr. (X-ineering). I suspect it may be heat or vibration killing them and no fault of the part.

So really…the magride system is
- a ticking time bomb that is great while it lasts but will likely fail prematurely
- there are really no long term magride replacement options
- the coil over replacement options are expensive and results in loss of factory features

So like $5k to replace magride with coil over replacement?

Want to understand if this is worth sticking more money into or just moving to another performance car before the magride blows.

I find it difficult to believe that GM would not have a Mag replacement option considering how recently magrides have been available on recent vehicles

I guess shame on me for not researching this better before purchasing. I have always been a mustang fan…but I simply fell in love with the newer Camaro look and the relatively easy mods for the zl1 engine

They just look badass..

Last edited by Ckmerc; 06-04-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 03:59 PM   #12
bsn

The cost to convert s all dependent on what you plan to do with the car and how its driven.
You can spend less than 1K in parts on a coilover conversion all the way up to the sky's the limit. You will also have to either but load resisters to fool the computer about $400.00 or you can make your own for next to nothing. Labor at a good shop should be 5-7 hrs + an alignment, not sure why the above poster said a couple of days.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:12 PM   #13
Ckmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
The cost to convert s all dependent on what you plan to do with the car and how its driven.
You can spend less than 1K in parts on a coilover conversion all the way up to the sky's the limit. You will also have to either but load resisters to fool the computer about $400.00 or you can make your own for next to nothing. Labor at a good shop should be 5-7 hrs + an alignment, not sure why the above poster said a couple of days.
That is fair good sir. For me..it would be just a fun street car to cruise and road trip with and not take to drag..

So sounds like $4k or under for reasonable coilover magride conversion when system fails. Am I off base?
Old 06-04-2023, 05:51 PM   #14
bsn

3k total including labor would get you a nice adjustable set up.