Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-12-2023, 01:56 PM   #15
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Here is some pictures from my install. This is using the ACS drip tray and included template. I gave my other scoop to Leadsled if you wanna check out how he mounted his. He just used some aluminum bar stock, and used it as an open vent. That won't work if your driving in the rain and snow as seen in your pictures though. Don't mean to hijack your thread with pictures, these are just so that you have a visual reference.

*** side note *** There is not alot of room for error, even with the template. The foam on the backside of the extractor just barely covers the hole. So make sure you are very steady handed with whatever tool you use and don't over cut with a grinder cut off wheel. You will see it if you make a small mistake. Just take your time. Its aluminum so it cuts really easy.
Looks cool, didn't even think about putting the blanket under the hood which is probably a good idea, also those hash marks on the border of the template are probably a good idea too for making sure it doesn't shift. Now I think the only thing that kind of bothers me is cutting those support beams from inside to fit the tray, seems like if you aren't careful you can cut a hole in the hood from bottom up, should be easy to avoid with some time tho. Will pick up some cutting disks today and hopefully try it this weekend, my Dremel is not namebrand so won't cut metal but I found a 3" cutter for the compressor that should do fine.
Old 05-13-2023, 10:19 PM   #16
Eddymel1998

I did it, whole thing thing sucked massive... members, but I got it done, the compressor couldn't feed the cutter very well so it was taking at some points half hour just to move couple inches, especially when cutting the supports, disk would basically just stop as soon as it touched the metal.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2023, 10:23 PM   #17
Eddymel1998

In the end I needed to go about quarter inch or so forward and didn't feel like wrestling the cutter so just drilled a handful of interconnected holes.

Also let the little metal piece and put it above my workbench.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2023, 06:24 AM   #18
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Looks great! It's amazing how much the hood vent changes the appearance.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:31 AM   #19
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Nice that you saved that car. I would scared shitless to cut my hood lol
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:00 AM   #20
Eddymel1998

Yeah I was pretty scared too, after I masked off the area I sat there for 5 minutes with the drill in my hand hyping myself up. But I think it was worth it, was a little worried because most of the cars I've seen with this mod either have no stripes on them or had what looked like ones put on after the fact, thought maybe people knew something I didn't but guess it was just a preference thing.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:41 AM   #21
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddymel1998 View Post
Yeah I was pretty scared too, after I masked off the area I sat there for 5 minutes with the drill in my hand hyping myself up. But I think it was worth it, was a little worried because most of the cars I've seen with this mod either have no stripes on them or had what looked like ones put on after the fact, thought maybe people knew something I didn't but guess it was just a preference thing.
Looks great man! I honestly kinda miss my Orange stripes on my car, but they were pretty faded and chipping in multiple spots. I have thought about putting them back on but I don't have alot of patience and dealing with vinyl requires both skill and patience so I'm screwed.

Whats the next mod on your list?

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 01:48 PM   #22
Eddymel1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Looks great man! I honestly kinda miss my Orange stripes on my car, but they were pretty faded and chipping in multiple spots. I have thought about putting them back on but I don't have alot of patience and dealing with vinyl requires both skill and patience so I'm screwed.

Whats the next mod on your list?
Thanks, mine is pretty faded and has few chips as well at this point but looks good enough from the distance, plus I also don't do well with anything vinyl or sticker related
Next big project is gonna be the 2015 zl1 belly pan or tray or whatever it's called under the engine bay, I bought one online and I have a feeling that will need some rivnut action, also still need to even out the splitter, its slightly bowed upwards, I have some spacers just need to sit down and suffer with it for a day.
Old 05-16-2023, 02:06 PM   #23
Eddymel1998

Guess I'll use this to ramble about a theoretical mod that just came to me. So after installing the front splitter there is a an opening because of the shape of the facia that traps air and whatever debris comes in, I've been looking around for a way to block it all classy like and when browsing around home depot I noticed the nets used for screen doors and thought that would block debris but still let air in which is not great, but sitting here just now what if I use that air and run brake cooling ducts by putting in the intake at the bottom of the facia in the open space between it and the splitter and use all that air getting shoved in. There would be issue of rain getting in and basically lubing up the brakes, but I can't imagine a small electric diverter would be that hard to make work.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:32 PM   #24
Eddymel1998

This is way smaller then I thought, have a feeling it's gonna see some Dremel action, now have to dig around the garage and see if I actually own a rivnut gun.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2023, 09:31 PM   #25
Eddymel1998

So finally got all the parts needed to attempt installing the belly pan but started eyeballing the next project already. Basic jist is that I'm a total goober who just can't leave a functioning thing alone, basically I have the drip tray for the hood vent and it is erfectly fine, what bothers me is I don't thing air flows through it, and I think the heat escaping through it is actually just heat radiating through the drip tray, not hot air moving through the vent. The smart thing to do would be to get a second ACS drop tray and cut some holes in it, but because I'm cheap (even tho by the end this will probably end up close in costs anyways) and a masachist looking for a challenge I bought the GM tray with hopes of cutting off stuff from it to make it fit. Took the vent off today just to see how I'm going to tackle it and got some ideas, because of weird shape of square bolts I'm not even going to bother finding longer ones but getting a female to female standoff (or extension, whatever you call it it's just a long nut to join two bolts) can help close the gap hopefully. Is this necessary? Nope. Why am I doing it? No clue. But I might as well give it a try.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2023, 05:28 PM   #26
Eddymel1998

Coming live straight from my garage is me, I went to install the belly pan but looks like my progress is halted because my drill bit is a fraction of a mm off from what the rivnuts are, but I'll sum up the story so far

I started off by attaching the pan best I could, thankfully the two clips in the back portion of it had holes already so I was easy to eyabll want needs cutting

Name:  PXL_20230604_191018764.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  96.4 KB
I then masked off the rough area of the cut, cut out a piece of cardboard with a curve that the back side of the bumper follows and used it to draw a line on the tape
Name:  PXL_20230604_194204977.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  169.6 KB
Then a prepped a place to cut it, cut out the inside but, leaving two tabs to help install it, then I test fitted it, and afterwards cleaned up the cut with a knife and some sandpaper
Name:  PXL_20230604_194730787.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  224.8 KB
Name:  PXL_20230604_200713166.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  216.1 KBName:  PXL_20230604_201009720.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  140.8 KBName:  PXL_20230604_202052942.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  212.5 KB
I think went through and drilled the holes for riv nuts, I did it in two passes because final drill bit size was a little too large, biggest issue is that there is barely any space under the car to push the drill up, so it took forever and I got absolutely perlted with shavings bracing it best I could (lots in my hair).

This is where it ends for the day, I may or may not have had a drink or two so can't roll down to local home depot for new drill bit, so guess I'll wrap it up next weekend, not that much left to do
Old 06-12-2023, 11:05 AM   #27
Eddymel1998

Wrapped up the undertray install yesterday, drilled all the holes out just a tad biger and installed the rivnuts, kinda felt a bit uncomfortable drilling holes in support beams but if GM put those there in the future gens then it should be fine I hope.

Name:  PXL_20230611_211446755.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  156.7 KB
Because of the cutting the front of the tray sat just a little low, so I stalled a long threaded rod to bring it up just a hair and close the gap, seems to have worked out good.
Name:  PXL_20230611_212753590.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  136.6 KBName:  PXL_20230611_215009424.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  192.8 KBName:  PXL_20230611_220022832.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  170.2 KB
Also not sure if here or in another thread but I asked if I could use the jack point on the main bar even with the tray on and seems like it's fine, I'll keep going until something breaks
Name:  PXL_20230611_220907793.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  175.7 KB
Old 06-12-2023, 01:34 PM   #28
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddymel1998 View Post
Wrapped up the undertray install yesterday, drilled all the holes out just a tad biger and installed the rivnuts, kinda felt a bit uncomfortable drilling holes in support beams but if GM put those there in the future gens then it should be fine I hope.

Attachment 1128848
Because of the cutting the front of the tray sat just a little low, so I stalled a long threaded rod to bring it up just a hair and close the gap, seems to have worked out good.
Attachment 1128851Attachment 1128852Attachment 1128853
Also not sure if here or in another thread but I asked if I could use the jack point on the main bar even with the tray on and seems like it's fine, I'll keep going until something breaks
Attachment 1128854
Looks really good. I actually really like how you installed it with the rivnuts and threaded rod. That tray isn't going anywhere! I want to do something similar for my rear diffuser.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote