Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-02-2022, 10:40 PM   #15
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
I think its time for some letter writing to GM Customer Service. Different for USA and Canada.

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:38 AM   #16
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
You can go with a magride delete and adjustable coil over setup and end up with a better performance set up, personally I prefer to keep the original magride. Its hard to believe how little parts support there is even for common base model cars now days. A sure way to kill brand loyalty GM!!! Eventually the aftermarket will pick up the slack once there is money to be made but don't hold your breath on ZL1 support.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:02 AM   #17
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
I was lucky and was able to get my rears replaced under warrenty. In the future if I cannot replace with magride I think I will go with AirLift Performance. Something like this.

Complete Air Suspension Kit - 2010-2015 Chevrolet Camaro - LEVEL 4 w/Air Lift 3P
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183459114144
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2022, 11:22 AM   #18
Whisper1
Never Satisfied

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Waiting for the Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revster View Post
I am in same situation, GM rears are available on Ebay and my dealer found Rears, I have contacted atleast 20 GM parts distrubuters and parts departments no front struts anywhere. Are there any other replacements to keep mag ride, or delete mag ride and do different shocks, or go with coilovers, just looking for some advice.

Thanks
Waiting for the same issue to occur on my 2012 with 21 K miles. Thought about buying a set of mag rides when Summit had them 2 years ago but how do you justify 2-3 K in parts on a 32K car that may or may not break? So, for those that have swapped to coil overs, I get that I have just lost my selective ride control and the error message will have to be tuned out. I'm hoping this would not impact the 5 performance traction /active handling modes. To engage the modes your toggling through the same tour and sport mode buttons that effect the Mag ride settings. This is also referred to as StabiliTrak. Any idea if the Tour and Sport buttons would still remain functional in regards to StabiliTrak? If not, I might even try some mag ride shocks off a wrecked ZL1 if there was no seepage evident.
Thanks
Old 09-05-2022, 07:12 PM   #19
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
BYPASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper1 View Post
Waiting for the same issue to occur on my 2012 with 21 K miles. Thought about buying a set of mag rides when Summit had them 2 years ago but how do you justify 2-3 K in parts on a 32K car that may or may not break? So, for those that have swapped to coil overs, I get that I have just lost my selective ride control and the error message will have to be tuned out. I'm hoping this would not impact the 5 performance traction /active handling modes. To engage the modes your toggling through the same tour and sport mode buttons that effect the Mag ride settings. This is also referred to as StabiliTrak. Any idea if the Tour and Sport buttons would still remain functional in regards to StabiliTrak? If not, I might even try some mag ride shocks off a wrecked ZL1 if there was no seepage evident.
Thanks
There are Magride bypass components that plug into the strut wire harness, they fool the system that the struts are still installed so the rest of the performance traction /active handling modes work.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-St...52330575&psc=1
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2022, 12:51 AM   #20
diddies

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have 2 front struts that got replaced about a year ago at a chevy dealership that I just took off the car. Maybe we can work out a deal.
diddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #21
Whisper1
Never Satisfied

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2017 Challenger Scat Pack
That's a Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
There are Magride bypass components that plug into the strut wire harness, they fool the system that the struts are still installed so the rest of the performance traction /active handling modes work.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-St...52330575&psc=1
Thanks Vicster. I will cross this off my list of things to worry about. If my struts go out and the mag rides are available then fine. If not, I will have a high quality shop do the swap to coil overs and won't look back. I sure understand folks wanting the OEM but at least we have a work around that does not leave the Stabilitrack dead in the water. Have a Redeye coming in a month so I want to roll into the post ICE era with 3 nice muscle cars and plan to keep them running for quite a while. A 6th Gen ZL1 was my hip pocket plan. Better car than the 5th Gen but just never could warm up to the C pillar. Hope this board lives on. It's helped me immensely through the years.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:47 PM   #22
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

I've sent letters to Dorman and Luft Meister inquiring about availability. Arnott next. Maybe if we all did this it might trigger a build.

Levon H. Bone Stock
Old 09-18-2022, 02:01 PM   #23
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper1 View Post

Thought about buying a set of mag rides when Summit had them 2 years ago but how do you justify 2-3 K in parts on a 32K car that may or may not break?
They will fail because it is a factory defect, as evidenced by the fact that there have been two part number revisions since (see my initial post which started this entire discussion). It was written and discussed on this subforum at length, that they start failing around 40,000 miles, which is ~64,000 km. Mine started leaking right around 64,000 km, almost on the dot.

Current hypothesis is that the factory defect occurs because the coils are of incorrect length. Whether this is true or not I have not verified yet, however it seems plausible.

Also, let us bear in mind what this vehicle will be worth if well cared for, correctly maintained and kept stock 40 to 60 years from now. If the 1st generation Camaro SS' and ZL1's are anything to go by, the value should quadruple, which means that all of us who kept their vehicles well maintained and stock will have been driving them not gratis, but at a profit.

The internal combustion engine vehicles are going the way of the dodo; the V8's were the first on the chopping block, with pony cars being a rare, temporary respite. Now they will be discontinued as well. In Europe, the situation is even more serious as the ZL1 cannot be imported any more since it cannot meet the Euro VI b emission norms, so whoever got one, got one while they still could.

With all of that in mind, I am led to conclude that our cars are collectible and will climb in value over time. We might not live long enough to reap the benefits of that, but for any who have offspring, that offspring might, in the form of inheritance.
Quote:
So, for those that have swapped to coil overs, I get that I have just lost my selective ride control and the error message will have to be tuned out. I'm hoping this would not impact the 5 performance traction /active handling modes. To engage the modes your toggling through the same tour and sport mode buttons that effect the Mag ride settings. This is also referred to as StabiliTrak. Any idea if the Tour and Sport buttons would still remain functional in regards to StabiliTrak?
Modifying the firmware, as well as these questions are precisely the reasons why I for one empathically do not want to replace the suspension with aftermarket, non-magnetorheological shocks.

What did surprise me and still surprises me, is that the aftermarket did not come up with magnetorheological options, for I would opt for those given that the original parts are no longer available for purchase. I could very well imagine that I am not alone in thinking that way.

Last edited by Annatar; 09-18-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:37 PM   #24
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Spoke with senior people at GM tech support today. Product tesing in progress. Not forgotten bur are coming.
No date as yet.

Levon H. Bone Stock
Old 10-26-2022, 08:25 PM   #25
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Spoke with senior people at GM tech support today. Product tesing in progress. Not forgotten bur are coming.
No date as yet.
I wouldn't hold my breath imo. Gm has been discontinuing parts left and right for the 5th gens for the past 4 years.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:36 PM   #26
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath imo. Gm has been discontinuing parts left and right for the 5th gens for the past 4 years.
No kidding I had to buy the last of the rear pinion seals that were a special run by American Axle.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:00 PM   #27
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Im an optimist ��.

Levon H. Bone Stock
Old 10-26-2022, 09:06 PM   #28
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
No kidding I had to buy the last of the rear pinion seals that were a special run by American Axle.
Yeah gm is a joke to be honest. Why support a manufacturer who can't keep parts available?
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote