Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Another Oil Pressure Thread - "OIL PRESSURE FILTER"

So I found out today that the LS 3 has an "OIL PRESSURE FILTER - Dorman# 917-143" (GENERAL MOTORS #12585328)

Could this be something that has been causing all these oil pressure issues ??
I haven't had any issues yet but it is always in the back of my mind.

Product description describes as "Save time and money with Dorman's Engine Oil Pressure Filter. Now, you can replace just the failed filter screen instead on the entire assembly. Also, this direct replacement part restores proper oil pressure to prevent engine damage."
- Screens engine oil before the oil pressure sensor Reduce Repair Cost
- Replace the failed filter instead of the entire assembly - See more at:
- See more at: http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde....Hh1bvSeW.dpuf

Anyone ever replace this ??
Old 06-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Nice find!...I didn't know this part existed either, subscribed.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
By the way, I noticed my dorman brake/clutch reservoir cap is leaking just like factory, had it on there for about 8 months now, wtf?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
That's the valve lifter filter. Sits under the oil pressure sensor. Filters oil before going to the AFM valley manifold.

If an engine's AFM is acting screwy or setting codes, the service manual has you check and replace that filter.

Has nothing to do with anything else. If you want to protect your pump and pressure relief valve from debris.... use a magnetic drain plug, a filter mag, change oil/filter often, cross fingers.

That screen is protecting the AFM system and lifters from getting debris in them.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
That's the valve lifter filter. Sits under the oil pressure sensor. Filters oil before going to the AFM valley manifold.

If an engine's AFM is acting screwy or setting codes, the service manual has you check and replace that filter.

Has nothing to do with anything else. If you want to protect your pump and pressure relief valve from debris.... use a magnetic drain plug, a filter mag, change oil/filter often, cross fingers.

That screen is protecting the AFM system and lifters from getting debris in them.
Well I just learned something new today. !
Old 06-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post

I'm pretty anal about my oil changes, but it does appear to be a luck of the draw thing. 55K miles of smiles and acounting
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:06 AM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
thats a replacement oil pressure sensor filter. It comes stock under the oil pressure sensor. The stock one can be cleaned. if you loose oil pressure on the gauge but not the engine sometimes its this filter clogged. All you have to do it clean it with soap and water. brake clean might damage the plastic.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:14 PM   #9
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
So I found out today that the LS 3 has an "OIL PRESSURE FILTER - Dorman# 917-143" (GENERAL MOTORS #12585328)

Could this be something that has been causing all these oil pressure issues ??
I haven't had any issues yet but it is always in the back of my mind.

Product description describes as "Save time and money with Dorman's Engine Oil Pressure Filter. Now, you can replace just the failed filter screen instead on the entire assembly. Also, this direct replacement part restores proper oil pressure to prevent engine damage."
- Screens engine oil before the oil pressure sensor Reduce Repair Cost
- Replace the failed filter instead of the entire assembly - See more at:
- See more at: http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde....Hh1bvSeW.dpuf

Anyone ever replace this ??
More Misinformation spread by the ignorant.

This filter never came on the LS3.

This filter came from GM on the 2007-2011 5.3L LC9, LMG, LH6, LY5 Engines, also on the 6.0L L76.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #10
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post

This filter came from GM on the 2007-2011 5.3L LC9, LMG, LH6, LY5 Engines, also on the 6.0L L76.
Well now, I've learned 2 things now in this thread,

Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #11
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

i'd consider it misinformation if the OP stated it as a fact, but instead the OP was merely asking a question.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
[QUOTE=LSX Camaro;9138309]More Misinformation spread by the ignorant.
QUOTE]

Really ??
I would hardly say I was "spreading misinformation"
Simply asking if anyone had heard of this filter before. It was a GM Master Tech that had mentioned it to me, dont know the guy personally but I would say he is even more misinformed than me if he works there. I think you would be better off venting your distain his way.

So sorry to waste your time with my ignorance. I guess if we were all GM Master Techs we wouldnt need this forum, or maybe we would hmmmmm
Old 06-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #13
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:

Well, according to this, it does... so the ignorance runs pretty deep.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-12585328.html

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #14
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
that doesnt say LS3 or L99. I bet its for the L99. the op has a LS3
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote