Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

View Poll Results: What brand of transmission and resr end fluid for your 1LE
Redline 24 36.92%
Royal Purple 12 18.46%
MTL 2 3.08%
OEM 14 21.54%
Something else 13 20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #15
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
I'm with X25 on this. My cases of Amsoil shoud be delivered on Monday and now can't wait for the weather to warm up. Going with the full run of Amsoil front to back including the brake fluid. Did go with the 75w-140 for the rear as the car will spend most of it's time on a track in one form or another. Will be doing a post on all the fluids once the season gets underway and offer opinions and results. Hoping for good things for sure and will keep it updated.
It will likely be very hard to compare before/after performance since it is very hard to know what is exactly causing traction issues at the track during the sessions (overheated tire? differential giving up? driver thirsty?); good luck!

With -140 oil, diff might also run a little bit hotter ironically due to diff being more operational during the whole session (and having more friction during operation), but I am honestly not sure what would be the impact on overall temps. The thicker oil might also help take heat away from the clutches. That diff cooler kit (from Z/28) comes to mind as an excellent companion : )
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #16
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe View Post
I did. There is a bunch of "internet knowledge" out there about not using anything thicker than ATF (such as D4), but I don't believe it.

I did a bunch of research on it, and the bottom line for me:
  • 100% MTL would be preferred for me if I tracked the car under warm weather conditions.
  • For warm weather and street use only, I would use a 50/50 mix of MTL and D4 (which I am using now, since my car is stored during the winter and never tracked);
  • And for winter driving, I would use straight D4.
I'm confident enough in MTL that I am partial to using it 100% for warm weather only, even if not tracked. But, haven't made that leap yet.

See my thoughts/research here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374798
I remember the tread, you collected a lot of good info and was one of the reasons I started looking into it.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #17
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Quote:
I'm with X25 on this. My cases of Amsoil shoud be delivered on Monday and now can't wait for the weather to warm up. Going with the full run of Amsoil front to back including the brake fluid.
FYI I boiled their 600 on the track TWICE and I flush/fill with new, every time I go...
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #18
X25

I've been happy with Motul RBF600. If I run into issues, instead of switching to SRF, I'd try to upgrade the brakes and cooling first, since fluid is not the only component badly impacted by very high temps in the brake system.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #19
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
I boiled the motul too.......putting cooling ducts and castrol in this weekend. Interesting enough X25, I have decided I like the 4 piston setup with aggressive carbotech's over the 6 piston zl1( with eagle f1's on the car) setup. They do generate a lot more heat though...
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #20
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I accidentally voted MTL slip of the finger really, , so please subtract 1 from it, because I really wanted to vote Redline, thinking MTL was an other brand or something, (mind you, I do plan on using a lil' Redline MTL in my tranny), but then I was like wait! He really did mean "Redline" MTL, but then realized who in their right mind would use Redline MTL in their diff ???

Sledge and I disqualify this pole!!!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #21
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe View Post
I did. There is a bunch of "internet knowledge" out there about not using anything thicker than ATF (such as D4), but I don't believe it.

I did a bunch of research on it, and the bottom line for me:
  • 100% MTL would be preferred for me if I tracked the car under warm weather conditions.
  • For warm weather and street use only, I would use a 50/50 mix of MTL and D4 (which I am using now, since my car is stored during the winter and never tracked);
  • And for winter driving, I would use straight D4.
I'm confident enough in MTL that I am partial to using it 100% for warm weather only, even if not tracked. But, haven't made that leap yet.

See my thoughts/research here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374798
I'm with you, and I'll be posting up my MTL/D4 observations the 1st week I take Sledge out from winter hibernation.

This ride never sees winter or rain for that matter, and when its driven, it's driven hard, so it almost makes no sense at all, for me to be using 100% D4.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #22
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Redline makes a fantastic product. I have been using it for over 20 years in various vehicles/boats with great success. I would recommend that you switch to their 5W40 motor oil. Servicing all the fluids will ensure a long life for your Camaro.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #23
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
When I purchased my TKO Tremec's for projects I alway used GM Syncromesh from the dealer, it ain't cheap, but I never had the knotchy feelings other people always felt.

For the rear I have always used the royal purple
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #24
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle

Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #25
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
I boiled the motul too.......putting cooling ducts and castrol in this weekend. Interesting enough X25, I have decided I like the 4 piston setup with aggressive carbotech's over the 6 piston zl1( with eagle f1's on the car) setup. They do generate a lot more heat though...
I know this is a little off topic from what the OP's question is but it is an interesting conclusion on your brake set up. Can you elaborate more on why you like the 4 piston set up better? Is it due to the increased weight of the 6 piston set up?

I would think that the 6 piston set up with the same carbotech pads would be even more aggressive than the 4 piston set up due to the increased pad size.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #26
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-AMSOIL View Post

Yep, that's what I used, but you don't need the additive.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 02-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #27
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
Redline makes a fantastic product. I have been using it for over 20 years in various vehicles/boats with great success. I would recommend that you switch to their 5W40 motor oil. Servicing all the fluids will ensure a long life for your Camaro.
I too have used Redline's driveline fluids for approx 2 decades, and have experienced zero issues with any of those components that relied on this product.

However regarding engine, I'm actually more comfortable using Amsoil's group lV type of engine oil, as opposed to Redline's Group V for my type of driving and use, and I emphasize the latter. However, if I was going all out racing on a road course, with TT mod, just basically ALL OUT, then I would instantly switch over to a Redline Race series for the event. The Group V race formulated package makes perfect sense to me here.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:23 AM   #28
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
So 75w-110 is the best for the rear end it seems.
Stay away from additives ??

Still undecided on the transmission but leaning to the Redline D4.

Come on guys, need some input LOL
TREMEC TECH TOLD ME TO USE MOBIL ! ATF FLUID. THEY TESTED THESE TRANSMISSIONS WITH THIS AND RECOMMENDED IT.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote