Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
Rassassin7

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS (Manual)
Android auto update? Not working need help

I'm not sure if it's my software, but the phone and app are all up to date, and I double checked the date and time on the screen. My car is a 2016 and I just cant seem to get the android auto to work. Anyone know how to update the software on the screen?
Attached Images

Rassassin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
Did you, by any chance, use a different cable to connect recently?

FWIW, I ask that because I had the exact issue(s) you had, just recently. The cable/cord I was using seemed overly long to me, so rather than have all this cord meandering all over the front seat/console area, I figured I'd use the shorter cord from my A/C charger.

Turns out, this shorter ( and narrower ) cable may have worked just fine for charging, but was not at all up to the task of data transmitting from phone to the MyLink system. Drove me nuts for days figuring out what was wrong. It took me a while to put two and two together and suspect the cable. Swapped cables and Android Auto worked just fine.
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Biggdummy

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss vert
I had that happen and i went into the settings and unpaired my phone,then re paired the phone with car.Hope that helps.
Biggdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Rassassin7

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS (Manual)
Thanks guys I got it to work. Used both of your guys' methods. Reset the date and time, used a different cable, repaired the phone and disconnected the negative battery for 2 minutes and voila
Rassassin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I got tired of Android Auto always starting up on my phone every time I started the car. I don't want my phone using up the battery every time I get in my car (pita). Deleted it off my phone and will re-install when I want to use it for trips.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
Biggdummy

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
I got tired of Android Auto always starting up on my phone every time I started the car. I don't want my phone using up the battery every time I get in my car (pita). Deleted it off my phone and will re-install when I want to use it for trips.
I just saw that in the settings on my phone or car.You can choose to not activate until you want it.
Biggdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #7
Smokin19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggdummy View Post
I just saw that in the settings on my phone or car.You can choose to not activate until you want it.
I did that also but, it still opens on my phone every time I get in the car. I have to turn off Android auto on my phone before I leave the driveway every time.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:27 AM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
There are 3 reset options in the infotainment screen menus, I believe the bottom one fixed this issue for me when I had it along with reinstalling the Android Auto app.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:25 AM   #9
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
I had a LG phone with a crappy USB cable and it worked great. Then I got a Note 9, and it would not work with the Camaro. Had to replace the USB cable to a quality one and it worked for me. Seems like some phones are finicky about the cable with android auto.
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
99% chance this is a bad cable.

like 99% of all android auto issues.

The main part of the problem is that there are supposed to be internal resistors that measure a specific ohm and tons of cables that you would get thru amazon / microcenter / walmart etc are cheap chinese brands that either dont put them in at all or use crap resistors that range in and out of the acceptable limits (cable lottery).

I'd verify that your cable + phone work with android auto in another person's car correctly before blaming anything but the cable.

(of course, i'm assuming your 2016 got flash updated to actually even support android auto, since they did not from the factory that year - for the larger screen mylinks. The small screen 1lt base models I believe had it from the factory.)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
Peelam

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, Jet Black, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

(of course, i'm assuming your 2016 got flash updated to actually even support android auto, since they did not from the factory that year - for the larger screen mylinks. The small screen 1lt base models I believe had it from the factory.)
I actually wish I could even use Android Auto in my SS. I'm one of the unlucky few that has the above. Dealer did not flash the update and the previous owner did not take it in to have done. I tried to get 2 different dealers to do it but they wanted to charge me almost $200 for it. So now I have a mag mount on my dash and put my phone there for it. Would rather use the larger infotainment screen but not paying $200 for it.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
Rob13567

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss NGM
Quote:
I think you can change that in the settings, mine does not do that and my Amazon cable charges and android auto is still useable
Rob13567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #13
sonikk71

Drives: 2017 Summit White V6 1LE
Quote:
I did that also but, it still opens on my phone every time I get in the car. I have to turn off Android auto on my phone before I leave the driveway every time.
There is a setting in the Andriod Auto App that allows you to specify how it launches. Go to settings\autolaunch in the app.
sonikk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #14
Smokin19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikk71 View Post
There is a setting in the Andriod Auto App that allows you to specify how it launches. Go to settings\autolaunch in the app.
OK got it, could not find this before, THANKS!