Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > New Member Introductions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
boatsnhos

Drives: 08 wrx sti
new guy

Hey guys i just joined the forum and i dont actually own a camaro, i own an 08 subaru wrx sti. My dad, however, own a 12 camaro rs/ss. Its a black with grey sport stripes hardtop 6 speed. Hes a diesel mechanic and im a regular mechanic. When he was a kid he had all the chevy muscle cars back in the day and he wad always a gearhead. He taught me well and i pretty much eat sleep and breathe fast cars. I was working on anything with an engine since i was probably 13. Naturally im a chevy guy but i am also very into japanese cars. Ive heavily modified my sti, including rebuilding the engine with bulletproof internals (damn you subaru for using cast pistons). I do all my own work, except for tuning. The reason im joining this site is because my dad isnt very computer savvy and i know he wants more power but since he hasnt really worked on gas engines for years hes a little behind on the tech. He already has a catback, intake, and skip shift eliminator. For now hes not gonna go crazy, probably just some headers and a tune maybe. Were actually 10 minites from tune time which i heard alot of people like. I was thinking for christmas maybe getting him a ported throttle body for a little better throttle response? Any input is welcome im ready for the flaming since i own an import
boatsnhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
“Welcome to the party, pal.”
-John McClane
Old 12-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsnhos View Post
Hey guys i just joined the forum and i dont actually own a camaro, i own an 08 subaru wrx sti. My dad, however, own a 12 camaro rs/ss. Its a black with grey sport stripes hardtop 6 speed. Hes a diesel mechanic and im a regular mechanic. When he was a kid he had all the chevy muscle cars back in the day and he wad always a gearhead. He taught me well and i pretty much eat sleep and breathe fast cars. I was working on anything with an engine since i was probably 13. Naturally im a chevy guy but i am also very into japanese cars. Ive heavily modified my sti, including rebuilding the engine with bulletproof internals (damn you subaru for using cast pistons). I do all my own work, except for tuning. The reason im joining this site is because my dad isnt very computer savvy and i know he wants more power but since he hasnt really worked on gas engines for years hes a little behind on the tech. He already has a catback, intake, and skip shift eliminator. For now hes not gonna go crazy, probably just some headers and a tune maybe. Were actually 10 minites from tune time which i heard alot of people like. I was thinking for christmas maybe getting him a ported throttle body for a little better throttle response? Any input is welcome im ready for the flaming since i own an import
Welcome aboard.

If I can be of any help don't hesitate to contact me always happy to help.

Happy Holidays.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Ported throttle body is a great mod. It will give your dad's car better throttle response.
Here is the rub- most throttle bodies have a $150 core charge. So it costs you $300 up front, then you get a $150 refund when you return the old throttle body.
Just food for thought

You could also get him a Vitesse Throttle Controller. I think they run in the neighborhood of $180, but I am not 100% sure.
The throttle controller allows the butterfly valve to open quicker.

Both are great and easy to install mods.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
KriticalFlaco

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Welcome to the forum
KriticalFlaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
boatsnhos

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I didnt know they have a core fee thats definitely something to keep in mind.

I have a couple questions about tuning since you guys seem nice. Are chevys tuned using open source(just a laptop and a cable) or is a handheld tuner required? If a handheld one is required, do they flash the computer so if the battery is didconnected the tune stays or it has to be reloaded every time? Is there a certain one most tuners use?

For example i have a cobb accessport for my sti. It reflashes the computer so if the battery is disconnected the tune stays. The accessport comes with a couple "one size fits all" maps but pretty much every subaru tuner uses their(cobb's) software to tune cars then that map can be loaded onto your accessport. If there is one like that it would be a great option
Old 12-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsnhos View Post
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I didnt know they have a core fee thats definitely something to keep in mind.

I have a couple questions about tuning since you guys seem nice. Are chevys tuned using open source(just a laptop and a cable) or is a handheld tuner required? If a handheld one is required, do they flash the computer so if the battery is didconnected the tune stays or it has to be reloaded every time? Is there a certain one most tuners use?

For example i have a cobb accessport for my sti. It reflashes the computer so if the battery is disconnected the tune stays. The accessport comes with a couple "one size fits all" maps but pretty much every subaru tuner uses their(cobb's) software to tune cars then that map can be loaded onto your accessport. If there is one like that it would be a great option
Nice to have you aboard.

I offer Remote Custom tuning via the SCT handheld device, the device is tool, it will store the factory tune on the device, read and clear codes, stores up to 10 custom tune, and is a very powerful data logger, it also does some special functions.

Disconnecting the battery does not change the tune, you must physically flash it to change it.

I have tuned over 2500 Gen5 camaros successfully all around the globe, I write each tune for your specific mods.

Depending on what mods you have I may have you log to check the tune is spot on.

Most popular combinations are dialed in perfectly.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
Thumbs up

Old 12-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Welcome ot the forum.

LOTS of good info to be had for mods.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
Matt@Tick

Drives: All GM Performance
Welcome to the forum, and a handheld tuner can come in handy sometimes if small changes are made but from a performance standpoint using a quality and reputable tuning software like HP TUNERS will always net bigger gains and allow you to access more parameters. SCT has some nice features and if you can find someone that uses their software for tuning you can load files into it and not have to travel back and forth between a dyno for changes, you can also return the vehicle back to stock, add to that the benefit of a code reader it really can be a useful tool.The new SCT X4 even has built in WIFI for updates.
Matt@Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
ModBargains

Drives: Camaro RS/SS, 996TT, E90 335i
Welcome to the Forum
Great to have you here
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
TX/ZL1

Drives: '14 ZL1 RRM M6
Welcome.....
Old 12-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Welcome!

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
boatsnhos

Thanks guys, im really leaning twoards having him take it to tune time so ill have to give them a call and find out what kinda tuning software they use before i buy anything just yet.

Once again thanks to all you guys