Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
OP, have you actually flushed/replaced your brake fluid? Watching your video, you appear to have a LOT more pedal travel (based on your brake channel) than I've seen on anyone else's video. You'll probably be surprised at how much better the pedal will feel after a flush/replacement with a quality fluid.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #16
Sleeks

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
OP, have you actually flushed/replaced your brake fluid? Watching your video, you appear to have a LOT more pedal travel (based on your brake channel) than I've seen on anyone else's video. You'll probably be surprised at how much better the pedal will feel after a flush/replacement with a quality fluid.
This. I even got some air bubbles out with the factory fluid when I swapped in new stuff.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackpack View Post
I too am still on the stock pads and with over 7k miles on the clock the pads are bedded. I was surprised by the soft pedal. The car stopped cleanly and the brakes didn't fade. This was a completely different feel than the 2015 Mustang GT Performance Package. This car has very strong initial byte. The SS brakes are much better for every day driving than the Mustang which is hard to brake smoothly. Interesting how the two manufacturers approach braking differently.
If you don't burnish them in literally the day before, the transfer layer of pad starts to come off almost immediately as the factory pads start to clean the rotor surface. Have to bed them every time right before a track day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
This again. Do a complete brake fluid flush (about two pints of Motul 660 or Castrol SRF). I typically bleed out about 4oz of fluid per caliper. I suck out all the fluid in the master and start with fresh fluid in there. Takes about two pints in total with refilling the master when finished.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #18
Trackpack

Drives: 1LE
I don't find the brakes to be a problem only noticing the interesting the differences between a 2008 Corvette, a 2015 Mustang, and my 2007 Lotus Exige S on the track. Not sure if GM puts DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid in these from the factory. Bleeding brakes always helps;}
Trackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #19
Sleeks

Drives: None
Quote:
I don't find the brakes to be a problem only noticing the interesting the differences between a 2008 Corvette, a 2015 Mustang, and my 2007 Lotus Exige S on the track. Not sure if GM puts DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid in these from the factory. Bleeding brakes always helps;}
With the amount of brake pedal travel you have, I would bleed them. If you watch other PDR track videos from Gen 6 camaros, you will see that rarely will anyone have brake pedal travel that lights up the last 20% of the brake indicator on the PDR. You are getting a lot of travel out of your pedal.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #20
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
GM puts regular "street" brake fluid in! The manual recommends changing it for track duty. Either high temp Dot3 or 4. It is a must! Incl properly bedding the brakes as suggested above. If you haven't changed the fluid you may boil it and go home on a flat bed...
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #21
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
I used up my stock pads already and started running Hawk DTC/60's on front and from what I've gathered along with the feedback from my instructor at Barber with Chin Trackdays the stock pads do have a lot more mushy feel to them meaning they work great but it's a lot softer pedal feel. You don't get that with the Hawks. They have immediate bite and they do not over brake the tires. Try them on track. You will love them I promise. But be forewarned, they aren't the best for daily driving. I changed back to oem after track days until they were gone. I have 14500 miles 6 track days and a USCA weekend on my car and it is such a beast on track. This car is phenominal!!!
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #22
Trackpack

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
I used up my stock pads already and started running Hawk DTC/60's on front and from what I've gathered along with the feedback from my instructor at Barber with Chin Trackdays the stock pads do have a lot more mushy feel to them meaning they work great but it's a lot softer pedal feel. You don't get that with the Hawks. They have immediate bite and they do not over brake the tires. Try them on track. You will love them I promise. But be forewarned, they aren't the best for daily driving. I changed back to oem after track days until they were gone. I have 14500 miles 6 track days and a USCA weekend on my car and it is such a beast on track. This car is phenominal!!!
Track pads would greatly improve the car as would a set of Hoosiers!

Nice job driving your car. 14500 is the highest mile 2017 I've seen on the forums.
Trackpack is offline   Reply With Quote