Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Paintless Dent Repair Not Possible?!

A few day after I picked up my car from the dealer, I noticed a series of 8 small dents along the bottom of the drivers side door. It's probably damage that occurred before the car was even painted. I went to the dealer yesterday for the service manager to look at it, and then made an appointment for tomorrow to leave the car for their paintless dent guy (outsourced) to fix them. I just got an e-mail from the dealer that they had to cancel the appointment because their guy says he can't fix them without drilling holes in the door! I've watched several videos on youtube of door dents that look far worse than mine getting paintless dent repair.

Am I missing something? Is there something unusual about the location and type of dent? The guy that was going to do the actual work has never even seen my car (unless they forwarded pictures to him). I've yet to see the inside of a Camaro door, but I suspect you could access the back of that area if you really had to by removing the inside door panel.

In any case, I hate the thought of having to break the paint and respray just to deal with something like this.

Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
I can't speak specifically to accessing those dents but is the PDR guy refusing to repair it because he has to drill an access hole in the door jam area? I had multiple similar dents pulled on my 5th gen. A few just above the area in your picture (but on a 5th gen). The guy informed me he needed to drill a hole in each door to fit his tools. I knew that was part of the process, agreed with him doing that, and got excellent results.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Whitespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post
I can't speak specifically to accessing those dents but is the PDR guy refusing to repair it because he has to drill an access hole in the door jam area? I had multiple similar dents pulled on my 5th gen. A few just above the area in your picture (but on a 5th gen). The guy informed me he needed to drill a hole in each door to fit his tools. I knew that was part of the process, agreed with him doing that, and got excellent results.
It was not specified in the e-mail where the holes would have to be drilled. In any case, I'm pretty confident that that area would be accessible with the door panel removed. However, I suspect that a repair guy might prefer to save himself some time by just drilling holes rather than dealing with the hassle of removing the door panel.

Nigel
Old 04-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
We've had some pretty nasty dents removed with PDR. A reputable professional would be able to smooth that out while being minimally invasive. Typically a small hole is drilled, if removing the door panel wouldn't provide access, and then after the procedure a small rubber plug is inserted into the hole to keep out moisture and dirt. I'd much prefer a small plugged hole then dealing with a respray on the door.

2019 GMC Terrain SLE 1.5T - Blue Steel Metallic/Black Cloth "Soccer Mom Spec"
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
Whitespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzinQueen View Post
We've had some pretty nasty dents removed with PDR. A reputable professional would be able to smooth that out while being minimally invasive. Typically a small hole is drilled, if removing the door panel wouldn't provide access, and then after the procedure a small rubber plug is inserted into the hole to keep out moisture and dirt. I'd much prefer a small plugged hole then dealing with a respray on the door.
I will definitely be asking for clarification on exactly where these holes would need to be drilled. I noticed that there are already 4 existing holes on the bottom inside of the door that are directly behind the dented area. It looks like at least a couple of them would give good access.

On another note, the service manager thought the Camaro doors were plastic Doesn't fill me with confidence when I hear things like this. I had to resort to getting him to use a magnet to convince him they were steel.

Nigel
Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
Triple D

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Hyper Blue
I have had much worse dings removed from an assortment of cars. I would try another PDR guy. Those dents don't look like they would be that hard to remove.
Triple D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:47 PM   #7
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Dude, take it to a professional pdr shop. They can get those out. Probably cost you a couple hundred bucks given how many there are. May have to drill a small hole in the door jamb area of the door if they cant access by removing the panel. I've used pdr on almost every car I've owned.

On a side note, wonder where those came from.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:47 AM   #8
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
I would find a goor PDR shop and pay out of pocket it will be worth it
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 AM   #9
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Was this caused by the dealer lift arm not being pushed out all the way before they backed it out?
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #10
Whitespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
Was this caused by the dealer lift arm not being pushed out all the way before they backed it out?
I suspect it happened to the sheet metal in the factory before it was even painted.

Nigel
Old 04-25-2018, 06:16 AM   #11
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
thats to low on the door for the dent less guy to get the tools behind!! they have to be pulled.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #12
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I doubt that would have got through GM and the inspection process after painting- that's a very obvious defect. It probably happened at the dealer or during transport. PDR might need to drill access holes on an inner panel in order to push the dents out- definitely get clarification. The door skin should not need to be repaired and re-painted- that would be a huge job and to repaint the side of the car would be costly. Dealer should be all over it to fix it- and fast.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #13
Whitespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
thats to low on the door for the dent less guy to get the tools behind!! they have to be pulled.
The dents are just over 1.5" from the bottom of the door. One of the 4 holes (5/8" dia) along the bottom of the door that I mentioned earlier is literally right behind a dent. I can see the back of the dent. These are be accessible from behind. I'd be very surprised if more clearance was needed.

Nigel
Old 04-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #14
Whitespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I doubt that would have got through GM and the inspection process after painting- that's a very obvious defect. It probably happened at the dealer or during transport. PDR might need to drill access holes on an inner panel in order to push the dents out- definitely get clarification. The door skin should not need to be repaired and re-painted- that would be a huge job and to repaint the side of the car would be costly. Dealer should be all over it to fix it- and fast.
They are actually very subtle and easy to miss because that part of the door angles down and the lighting has to be just right. I only saw them when the sun was setting and the car was was parked in such a way that the sun lit up the bottom of the door. Of course, I'll never know what actually caused them. But by the nature of them, they don't look like something that would be caused post production. I've spent enough time in automotive assembly plants to suspect it happened pre paint as I mentioned previously.

In any case, now that I know that they're there, I see them easily. I will be working with the dealership to resolve this to my satisfaction.

Nigel