Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
ColombianJesus

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
CPO 2017 Camaro 1SS w/ 20k miles but was part of a rental fleet. Safe to buy?

Hey guys, first post here. I'm currently looking into buying a certified pre-owned 2017 Camaro 1SS with 20k miles on it. The dealer's asking price is $28k. I know I can probably get that price down, however the big thing for me is the fact that the car was used as part of a rental fleet for 1 year.

Now, I've heard the horror stories of buying cars that were part of a rental fleet, however do you guys think the CPO eliminates some of that risk? A lot of the other 1SS's in this price range have also been used in rental fleets but this is the only CPO in metallic gray that I've seen in close proximity to my area (Orlando, FL).

Here is the listing on CarGurus for those curious: https://cargur.us/mxyZY

The dealership also provided the CarFax here, however from what I've read online I know that rental car companies can often fix issues and repairs without reporting to CarFax so that is also something that worries me.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this. I appreciate any help and advice!
ColombianJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
If you get it for about 22k, maybe. If you can afford 28-30k for a personal car instead, that would be my recommendation.

Depends on use case too. Whether you track it or not. Or if you plan on major mods.

Check cargurus. You can choose to not show fleet/rental/accident vehicles. The asking prices for a personal non-rental camaro 1ss are right around 28-30k
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
ColombianJesus

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
If you get it for about 22k, maybe. If you can afford 28-30k for a personal car instead, that would be my recommendation.

Depends on use case too. Whether you track it or not. Or if you plan on major mods.

Check cargurus. You can choose to not show fleet/rental/accident vehicles. The asking prices for a personal non-rental camaro 1ss are right around 28-30k
They took $1,000 off their asking price so it’s $26,975 now which I still don’t think is enough off.

In terms of the use case, I wouldn’t do any crazy modifications really. The only things would be stuff like adding an axle-back quad tip exhaust, the quad tip rear valence, a front lip splitter and some other cosmetic things. Judging how the car performs I might add more in the future.

What do you think of the CPO aspect of it though? Still think it’s risky?
ColombianJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
indyz

Yes. Still risky. It all depends on your budget and personality. I was offered a rental car locally for 24k + taxes. I choose to spend 5k more, since I can afford to. I'm also risk averse when it comes to buying cars.

CPO, what exactly does it cover? Extra power train warranty or are other parts of the vehicle also covered. On a recent rental that had 5000 miles, the knobs were working intermittently, one of our phones refused to pair up. I don't know if it was a glitch in the system, it may have been because of rental abuse. I wouldn't want the headache of prematurely worn parts, especially electrical stuff.

For 27k, you should be able to get a personal 1 owner 1ss. You may need to exercise patience and or travel a bit. I always buy my cars out of state since our local stealers have ridiculous demands compared to dealers in nearby states.

"Everyone in FL pays $1300 doc fees". Sure they do. . My GTO, I saved almost 7k by traveling less than 500 miles.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
CPO means it went through a 172 point inspection. If anything doesn't pass it gets fixed, otherwise they won't Certify the vehicle.

By making it a CPO, a Chevy factory trained tech stands behind the mechanical condition of the vehicle. You get the balance of a 4 year/48,000 mile bumper to bumper and a 6 year/100,000 mile power train warranty. Rental or not, the car has checked out.

Price inline with KBB Fair price for CPO car
Factory certified with tons of warranty left

I wouldn't worry about personal car vs rental car.

I sold my 2016 1ss for $27,500. I did 100 drag strip passes and 4 or 5 autox days. I was honest and told my buyer all this. If you buy private party, you might get the honest story. If you buy a personal vehicle that was traded in to the dealership, you get some history on the vehicle, if you managed to run into the salesman that took it in on trade. You don't know what has been done to a rental but do you think the rental car you're looking at has been down the strip 100 times?

If its in good shape, has good warranty, is a good price, BUY IT!

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
If it’s CPO you’re fine. Id love a 100k Powertrain warranty.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
indyz

Well, there you go. I guess the CPO is why it's 26k+ instead of 24k

Tags
2017 camaro ss, cpo, rental fleet, used car