Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
Help with Ceramic Coat process

Hello all,

I tried emailing Adam's Polishes tips and help section a few weeks ago, but they still haven't gotten back to me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am wanting to get a ceramic coat applied to my car. After months and months of looking around, I decided that I don't trust any local shops to do the work right, and I also don't want to drive hours and hours away to have it done at a trustworthy shop. Plus, I don't like the prices shops are quoting me. This means I am going to do it myself.

If you all would be so kind, could you please help guide me a bit here? These are the steps I believe I need to take:

1. Strip wash the car (water and Dawn Ultra soap)
2. Spray and wipe down with 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol
3. Clay bar entire car
4. Multi-step polishing of entire car (i will admit I am nervous about this, but I am going to practice on two other vehicles before I touch the Camaro)
5. Adam's Polishes Ceramic Prep
6. Adam's Polishes Ceramic Coat (everything I am finding says 1 coat is enough)
7. Adam's Polishes Ceramic Boost

A. Are there any steps I am missing here? Are there any steps I should skip here?

B. My 2SS has gloss black rear defuser and I also got ZL1 style side skirts in gloss black to match. Do I polish them the same and is it safe to apply the ceramic coat to them as well?

C. Do I apply the ceramic coat onto glass such as the windshield?

D. How often do I need to reapply the Ceramic Boost? Is that something that goes back on after every car wash?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
There are several step-by-step how to ceramic coat videos on YouTube. I spent several hours watching several from different detail pros. I’d recommend doing that. You will pick up good tips and advice from all of them.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
1. Wash with high surfactant soap such as Dawn. 3 bucket method
2. iron x wash then wash again Dawn
3. Clay with clay bar or clay rag
4. Paint correction using new pads and new high quality microfiber towels
5. Wash with dawn using new wash mitt
6 It’s time for the eraser 70:30 alcohol or Car pro eraser works really well
7. Now the ceramic nano coating and after application microfiber towel or applicator should not be reused
There are many ceramic nano coatings on the market.
I prefer the optic-coat it will last for years and is easy to apply
No experience with other nano coatings except cquarts not much difference IMO
there are many to choose from good luck

I do not apply ceramic nano coating on windows but specifically use glass sealant. My lower skirts or rear diffuser did not need buffing but safe to put ceramic nano coating on them and wheels.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
You got the idea. Watch some videos and you'll gain some confidence. Anyone can do it
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Dawn is for dishes. There are youtube videos showing that Dawn leaves a rinsing agent that makes dishes spot free. This is what makes it appear that Dawn has stripped the wax, but when the rinsing agent is removed, the paint beads water again.

There are plenty of threads on this on Autogeek forum and Reddit detailing forums.

If you want to see Dawn stripping, head over to Pure Platinum!

Just use a good car shampoo that will strip old wax like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss or Chemical Guys Clean Slate.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
You can also use glass cleaner. It will take the wax off as well.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
Hello all,

I tried emailing Adam's Polishes tips and help section a few weeks ago, but they still haven't gotten back to me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am wanting to get a ceramic coat applied to my car. After months and months of looking around, I decided that I don't trust any local shops to do the work right, and I also don't want to drive hours and hours away to have it done at a trustworthy shop. Plus, I don't like the prices shops are quoting me. This means I am going to do it myself.

If you all would be so kind, could you please help guide me a bit here? These are the steps I believe I need to take:

3. Clay bar entire car
4. Multi-step polishing of entire car (i will admit I am nervous about this, but I am going to practice on two other vehicles before I touch the Camaro)

A. Are there any steps I am missing here? Are there any steps I should skip here?

B. My 2SS has gloss black rear defuser and I also got ZL1 style side skirts in gloss black to match. Do I polish them the same and is it safe to apply the ceramic coat to them as well?

D. How often do I need to reapply the Ceramic Boost? Is that something that goes back on after every car wash?

Sorry that no one got back to you.
Sounds like you have your steps and process down in the right order.
Check out this video and links I think that they will help!
If you have any questions after watching let me know.
Thanks!
http://adamspolishes.com/paintcoating

http://adamspolishes.com/ceramiccoating

https://youtu.be/YeUTBeOSPYU
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Dawn is for dishes. There are youtube videos showing that Dawn leaves a rinsing agent that makes dishes spot free. This is what makes it appear that Dawn has stripped the wax, but when the rinsing agent is removed, the paint beads water again.

There are plenty of threads on this on Autogeek forum and Reddit detailing forums.

If you want to see Dawn stripping, head over to Pure Platinum!

Just use a good car shampoo that will strip old wax like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss or Chemical Guys Clean Slate.

This, Dawn is not good, I've seen a few people test it out and it's a common myth.

IMO strip wash shouldn't be necessary either if you're using a clay bar and ISO wipe down afterwards. Claying will strip your protection off the paint and ISO will strip anything left over from claying. Claying and an ISO wipe down should be sufficient.

Don't worry about compounding or polishing. If you'r using a dual action polisher it's almost impossible to hurt your paint.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
Cobaltct

Drives: 2018 camaro ZL1 in Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Hello all,

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Clay bar entire car

Dawn does not strip wax or sealant just a heads up it has been proven in multiple YouTube videos
Cobaltct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #10
Cobaltct

Drives: 2018 camaro ZL1 in Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
You can also use glass cleaner. It will take the wax off as well.
Nope, apc will strip wax just poor like 3 ounces in your wash bucket when washing your car and your good to go
Cobaltct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #11
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
I really appreciate all the responses here! Lots of good info. Any negative experiences with ceramic coats that you know of? I haven't been able to find anything beyond horror stories of it being applied incorrectly.

BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #12
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
The entire process is a LOT of work. I’m not in athlete shape by a long shot....but there are just so many steps that require elbow grease. My back isn’t as bulletproof as it was in my 20s.

I spent 25 hours on the full chemical/physical decontamination, Polish, coating, Reload, wheel/caliper coating, and interior detail.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:31 AM   #13
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
I really appreciate all the responses here! Lots of good info. Any negative experiences with ceramic coats that you know of? I haven't been able to find anything beyond horror stories of it being applied incorrectly.
Ceramic coats are still subject to swirl scratches from improper washing. If you are the type of person that can’t stand seeing a scratch or swirl, coatings are not the best idea. If you polish out the scratches, you have to re-coat the area you polished.

If you are the type who loves rubbing on your car (detail spray, wax, etc), coatings may not be for you. Coatings require you to wash and detail less.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:49 AM   #14
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
[QUOTE=BAMF;10146718]I really appreciate all the responses here! Lots of good info. Any negative experiences with ceramic coats that you know of? I haven't been able to find anything beyond horror stories of it being applied incorrectly.”

Like others have said with ceramic nano coatings they are very labor intensive with the initial application and preparation process.

Washing properly weekly- or the interval of your choosing-this should include a semi annual wash with a product similar to iron x. The purpose of iron x is to remove surface contamination that is hard to remove during normal washing intervals.

Yes if you wash improperly you can induce swirls. However, these swirls will be substantially reduced in your clear coat in comparison without it.

I have personally applied ceramic nano coating to five different cars ,two trucks and one suv all were brand new except for one which had aprox nine thousand miles. I prepared the surface in the manner explained above in earlier post and the product still beads well after many years. Now keep in mind these automobiles are garaged ,keep under a carport , daily driven and some are weekend toys.

The theme has remained constant easy to clean and beads water for a longer period of time than any wax can.

The negative maybe I think wax may make some colors pop just little more.
I’m at the point in my life that I do not want to spend hours washing and waxing or even nano coating my cars.

So for the Camaro and slect others a full PPF wrap is only thing I found better than a ceramic nano coating. If you can afford it have Paint Protection Film applied to entire car then apply nano coating after film has cured. Normal cost for 6 th gen $5k.

If you enjoy waxing every few weeks than niether are for you.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adam's polishes, adamspolishes, ceramic coat, ceramic coating, paint correction