Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
swizzy

Drives: Lowered 98 sliverado, 18 1SS 1LE
Questions about getting headers

Hi all,

I'm very excited to do my first mods to the Camaro! I'm pretty sure I want to go with Speed Engineering headers with the X pipe. Along with a Roto Fab CAI. Seems to be the best way to go for my $1000ish budget. But I have a few questions about the headers and X pipe.

1. Since I mostly use my car for time attack and mountain roads, Will the steering shaft rubbing issue some people have be a huge deal? I definitely don't want any rubbing while driving. (After watching the engine masters header bash ep, I don't feel too bad about making a 1/8th inch dent to fit)

2. Does the header and X pipe kit come with everything you need to go from the heads to the stock muffler? Or will I need connection pipes/cats or anything else?

3. Will a tune be necessary for these small mods? I understand there are gains to be had with one. But really if I can just do it after a cam or something several months down the road I would be fine as long as it runs good.

4. Does the kit connect onto the stock muffler before or after the crimped sections of stock exhaust near the axles?

Thanks for any input, I am open to any suggestions!
swizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
SteveFrench

Drives: Summit White 2018 SS
Im not sure about your other questions but i do know you need a tune after headers or the car will run pretty rough
SteveFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
zoutlawss

Drives: 2018 1LE
If you are ordering the headers and xpipe you can just get them installed and they will let you know if you need anything for the fitment to the exhaust. Get the car tuned after the headers and rotofab

You can talk to dynosteve on here and probably get a faster response and he does excellent tunes as well
zoutlawss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
swizzy

Drives: Lowered 98 sliverado, 18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoutlawss View Post
If you are ordering the headers and xpipe you can just get them installed and they will let you know if you need anything for the fitment to the exhaust. Get the car tuned after the headers and rotofab

You can talk to dynosteve on here and probably get a faster response and he does excellent tunes as well
Thanks for the reply! I will actually be installing everything myself. Mostly why I'm trying to be so thorough with planning.
swizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Definitely pick the right tuner. My buddy beat a Procharged 6th gen last night in my old car(H/C/I LS6 4th gen Z28) from both a dig and a 40 roll. We are neck and neck with my light bolt-on e85 setup, with me edging him out the last couple races since doing some tweaks to my torque tables and torque management. Point is you can make all the power in the world and these cars will not go down the road any faster if the tune is not setup right. No way a properly setup/tuned procharged 6th gen shouldn't be gapping my old car even though it is a high 10/ bottom 11 sec car.

My personal recommendation would be to contact Brett @ Pray Performance or Ryan @ GPI for tuning. I would request 2 tunes...one tune that has some Torque Management and other that has all Torque reduction turned off. When I turn off all torque reduction in my TCM, the difference is like hitting the car with a small shot of nitrous. It's insane how much these A8 cars are held back by the stock trans tune. If they were tuned like A8 Challenger Scat pack's from the factory, they would be consistent 11.7-11.8 cars in decent air stock.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
Matt@Tick

Drives: All GM Performance
I'm not sure about the speed engineering, but we have used Kooks, ARH, and Hooker. Just my opinion, the Hooker headers are easy to install and they fit perfectly. They will overstep your budget for sure, but the quality is there also.
Matt@Tick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headers, speed engineering, tune