Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #29
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkedmongo View Post
I'm dropping mine back off in the morning due to misc shuddering coming and going. It had the triple flush done at 1400 miles and car has just over 10k miles on it now.

I'm past the point of being pissed, it's just whatever at this point, and honestly its why the stack of mods for my car have been sitting on a shelf, because I knew this would come back after reading what everyone else has said, and I want any and all problems handled prior to bolting on a single thing.
Torque Converter.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #30
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Anyone know what range of VINs they are talking about?

My 2017 shows:

Build Date: 08/19/2016

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #31
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post

My 2017 shows:

All of them.
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #32
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
that sounds like you need to get gm corporate involved. I'm not sure I'd try that dealership again, but I'd definitely let someone know of their unprofessionality. Gm can also give you other dealers that are trustworthy and help get your problem solved.
If you mean GM Customer Service, They Have No Teeth At All! They provided me with no assistance what so ever. It only added another level of complexity in dealing with them as well as the dealership. If i could trade the car in and not loose my A** i would do it in a heart beat. I love the car, just not all the problems that come with it: Rear Diff Groan, Transmission Shudder, and all the little things that keep failing (Computer screen failing, pasanger side door not opening, drivers side door light failing, etc.). Each problem is multiple trips to the dealership. If GM would step up and take care of there coustomer i would not mind, but it seems they are turning their backs on us with this transmission and read diff thing.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #33
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post

My 2017 shows:

Mine was built on February 17 2017. And I was one of them.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #34
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
Went to my dealer today - we talked about the flush fix.. fluid is hard to come by so they are just going to replace the TC. No waste
Don't let them do that. You should wait and have them replace the fluid also.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #35
VelvetHammer

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS, A8, NPP
Mine got the flush at 10K and all was well untill the shudder came back at 15K. Torque converter was replaced along with the filter and fluid and the car is perfect. The service manager told me that the latest from GM is to go straight to the converter and forego the flush even if the flush has not been done.
Gone but not forgotten:
1978 Dark Blue-Green Z28 w/1970 LT1 power
1978 Bright Blue Z28
1976 Light Blue RS
1973 Green-Gold LT
VelvetHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #36
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
Don't let them do that. You should wait and have them replace the fluid also.
Ill have fluid too.. but form my understanding the issue is the redesign of the plate and the additive. Thanks
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #37
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetHammer View Post
Mine got the flush at 10K and all was well untill the shudder came back at 15K. Torque converter was replaced along with the filter and fluid and the car is perfect. The service manager told me that the latest from GM is to go straight to the converter and forego the flush even if the flush has not been done.
Well, that’s interesting. Had a flush (only) 2 weeks ago....
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #38
VelvetHammer

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS, A8, NPP
The original fluid for the A8 was Dexron HP. This was not a sythetic fluid. It was determined that the friction modifiers in this fluid were incorrect for the application which is why initially the triple flush did not work, even with a new converter. Same fluid, same problem.
Now the required fluid is Mobil1 LV. It masks the issue temporarily but if you had the shudder, the damage had already been done (burnished TC clutch plates).
In the meantime the TC has also been redesigned to alleviate future issues.
I only recently left a Chevy dealer where I worked as a parts-to-service liason and can assure you that the TC has a new part number as well as revised TCM programming. I can also assure you that Mobil1 LV is NOT scarce, we kept cases of it in stock, find another dealer.
Gone but not forgotten:
1978 Dark Blue-Green Z28 w/1970 LT1 power
1978 Bright Blue Z28
1976 Light Blue RS
1973 Green-Gold LT
VelvetHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #39
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
The original fluid for the A8 was Dexron HP. This was not a sythetic fluid. It was determined that the friction modifiers in this fluid were incorrect for the application which is why initially the triple flush did not work, even with a new converter. Same fluid, same problem.
Now the required fluid is Mobil1 LV. It masks the issue temporarily but if you had the shudder, the damage had already been done (burnished TC clutch plates).
I only recently left a Chevy dealer where I worked as a parts-to-service liason and can assure you that the TC has a new part number as well as revised TCM programming. I can also assure you that Mobil1 LV is NOT scarce, we kept cases of it in stock, find another dealer.
Very concise information, particularly about the revised converter and program. Thank you
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:04 AM   #40
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Thank you for that info. I am headed to a different dealer this coming Monday. Perhaps this will help. Would love to get this behind me and enjoy the car.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:56 AM   #41
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
VelvetHammer is correct. Yes it was the fluid not the TCs (for the most part), and yes getting the new fluid is critical. But once damage is done to the TC (extended shuttering) you need to replace both.

Folks you need to go read the ASK AL post on this for all the details. Print it out and bring it with you to the dealer if you get a runaround ... and have them look up the TSBs.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527133
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #42
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
VelvetHammer is correct. Yes it was the fluid not the TCs (for the most part), and yes getting the new fluid is critical. But once damage is done to the TC (extended shuttering) you need to replace both.

Folks you need to go read the ASK AL post on this for all the details. Print it out and bring it with you to the dealer if you get a runaround ... and have them look up the TSBs.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527133
while I'm not in the position to disagree with AL, I do. He mentions that after March, *every* car came with the new fluid, filled from the factory.

My car was built in may, months after the cutoff. Not only did I get the shudder, but 2 triple flushes with the new fluid didn't cure it, requiring a new torque converter.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote