Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #29
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Now that MGW option is truly dead, I'm very interested in this.

@vtirocz about how long would you estimate a trained mechanic take to do the install?
See these videos as well as the revised step by step instruction manual .pdf file I attached in post 14.

(SS)
(LT)

The first video mentions 2 hours from start to finish, while the second video mentions 3-4hr. I would probably plan for 3-4 hours for a realistic time (even that seems optimistic to me if they are taking time and torquing everything to spec). It took me much longer to do that in my garage with no lift, but I was taking my time and trying to document everything.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #30
vtirocz

Track testing the new Hurst shifter (shift to 3rd and 4th using no-lift shift feature).

In my haste to get the camera mounted before the run, I see now that I mounted it too low!

Old 04-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #31
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Track testing the new Hurst shifter (shift to 3rd and 4th using no-lift shift feature).

In my haste to get the camera mounted before the run, I see now that I mounted it too low!
Yes sir love the Hurst shifter, I've purchased a black ball for the shifter honestly it should be an option! Love it though! Really enjoy 2-3, 4-5 gates much more precise now
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #32
vtirocz

After driving with the Hurst shifter with stock knob for about a month now, one thing I've noticed is the shift effort is on the high side, particularly when shifting from in gear to neutral. This is no problem for racing, but a bit much for daily driver. Maybe I'm just picky, but I thought I'd try out the following solution.

What I did was buy a 2" shock extension (9/16-18 threads... $10) and used the Hurst white ball / stick that came with the shifter. This brings the shifter height up by 1.25" compared to stock, but gives excellent mechanical advantage. Shifts are still very precise and throw is still reduced from stock (see calcs below), but the shift effort is now much closer to stock.

I want to drive with this setup for a little while before reinstalling the boot. This way if I don't like it I can easily swap back to the stock stick/knob setup.

Here's my calculations on shift throw and % reduction.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2018, 03:29 AM   #33
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
would a 1.6lb shift knob make shifting easier? I have a TWM shift knob
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:15 AM   #34
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
Good question. The stock knob i had been using is weighted. I’ll weigh it and get back to you.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #35
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
The stock knob is around 14oz. I don't think a heavier knob would help the issue I described (in fact, that might make it worse). For instance, with the Hurst / stock knob setup, when trying to shift from 5th to neutral I was finding that so much force was needed to get it out of 5th gear that it was hard not to overshoot and go straight to 6th. You get used to it and the added shifting effort isn't a big deal when racing or shifting gear to gear, but found it a little annoying for daily driver type stop and go traffic specifically when shifting from in gear to neutral. Once you adapt to it, then it's not really a big deal, but I thought I'd try the 1.25" longer shifter height to see if I like that better. I'll report back after I have more seat time in the car.

Hurst,
Question for you: Would there be an easy way to modify the lower end of the assembly below the fulcrum (ie. slightly shorten the end below the fulcrum) to provide a little more mechanical advantage without having to change the upper stick height?

Old 06-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #36
vtirocz

After experimenting with a couple different options (see posts above), I've determined the best setup is the Hurst shifter with stock knob. I think this is the best balance between crisp/precise shifting, shift effort, and appearance.

At some point I'd like to test out the SS 1LE shifter to see how it compares. If I get the opportunity to test that in the future, I'll post a comparison in this thread.

Thanks again to the Hurst team for the shifter! I wonder when the upper stick for use with stock knob will be available to purchase?

Old 06-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #37
ZNix

Drives: 1987 Buick Grand National
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
After experimenting with a couple different options (see posts above), I've determined the best setup is the Hurst shifter with stock knob. I think this is the best balance between crisp/precise shifting, shift effort, and appearance.

At some point I'd like to test out the SS 1LE shifter to see how it compares. If I get the opportunity to test that in the future, I'll post a comparison in this thread.

Thanks again to the Hurst team for the shifter! I wonder when the upper stick for use with stock knob will be available to purchase?
I hope soon. I would love one.
ZNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:31 AM   #38
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
I wish the install wasn’t suck a bitch to do :(
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:36 AM   #39
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeJATT View Post
I wish the install wasn’t suck a bitch to do :(
Its like headers. It looks worse than it really is

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #40
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
did they list this product to purchase? i don't see it.
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #41
Tech@HurstPerformance

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeJATT View Post
did they list this product to purchase? i don't see it.
This shifter has not come to market as of yet. But due to the overwhelming interest, I know that this design has not been put on the "back burner". As soon as any new information becomes available you will see it posted here on Camaro6 first!

- Jason @ Flowmaster
Tech@HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #42
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@HurstPerformance View Post
This shifter has not come to market as of yet. But due to the overwhelming interest, I know that this design has not been put on the "back burner". As soon as any new information becomes available you will see it posted here on Camaro6 first!

- Jason @ Flowmaster

I'd also like to see this product offered for the LGX M6.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote