Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #29
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Does it actually matter? Auto is faster, so is it because it has less loss? Or because it has more years to go through?
The auto is not "faster", it will go down a 1/4 mile drag strip in less time because the automatic transmission is quicker and more efficient upshifting at exactly the right time. The manual car will actually have a greater top speed because it has less horsepower loss to the transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
All very interesting resting indeed. We used the track to dyno or the engine builder back in the day. So I'm not very up on this chassis dyno thing. After reading all of this though, my conclusion is that it's only good for baselining a car and seeing the results after a modification. It wouldn't appear to be a tool used for coming one car to and other for the purpose of bench racing.
Posting a dyno number is like posting a time for a 2.5 mile race track. There is a lot of variation in the possible layouts of the tracks and the weather can make a big difference also. Comparing results on the same dyno is good, same dyno on same day is best.

I agree with Ted and think the 1:1 (6th gear) is the best way to dyno the car. If it takes longer to make the pull it is probably going to be more accurate than trying to quickly zip through the pull in a lower gear.

My '16 SS made 395 on its first pull, I'm used to a modified ZL1 so I was a little shocked at how small that number seemed to me....To me it just shows how good the chassis and suspension are that allow this car to feel this fast with so little horsepower....and it tells me this thing is going to be a terror when it gets a power bump.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #30
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
The auto is not "faster", it will go down a 1/4 mile drag strip in less time because the automatic transmission is quicker and more efficient upshifting at exactly the right time. The manual car will actually have a greater top speed because it has less horsepower loss to the transmission.
Going down a measured distance in less time than another car is "faster". A car with more HP can still lose a race to a car with less HP right? You can turn a 14 sec 1/4 at 120mph if the car struggles with traction. But it's not because of the few hundred milliseconds faster in shifts compared to a manual(especially considering the A8 shifts more in the 1/4 than the M6). The effective gearing of the A8 is what is making it faster, course those fast shifts definitely don't hurt. The trap speed is a lot like a dyno reading. It gives a clue how much power the engine is making, but means nothing in terms of what is the faster car. Throw a set of DRs on a car and the trap speed usually drops but the car is now faster in ET.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #31
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Going down a measured distance in less time than another car is "faster". A car with more HP can still lose a race to a car with less HP right? You can turn a 14 sec 1/4 at 120mph if the car struggles with traction. But it's not because of the few hundred milliseconds faster in shifts compared to a manual(especially considering the A8 shifts more in the 1/4 than the M6). The effective gearing of the A8 is what is making it faster, course those fast shifts definitely don't hurt. The trap speed is a lot like a dyno reading. It gives a clue how much power the engine is making, but means nothing in terms of what is the faster car. Throw a set of DRs on a car and the trap speed usually drops but the car is now faster in ET.
Technically if a car covers the measured distance in less time it is "quicker". The car that is "faster" is the car that achieves the highest velocity commonly measured in mph. Often in drag racing the fastest car (the one achieving the highest mph) does not win the race because the purpose of drag racing is not to be fast (mph) but to be quick (seconds). Drag racing is a poor venue to determine how fast a car is compared to events like land speed racing. In land speed racing the only relevant measurement is speed in mph.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #32
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Technically if a car covers the measured distance in less time it is "quicker". The car that is "faster" is the car that achieves the highest velocity commonly measured in mph. Often in drag racing the fastest car (the one achieving the highest mph) does not win the race because the purpose of drag racing is not to be fast (mph) but to be quick (seconds). Drag racing is a poor venue to determine how fast a car is compared to events like land speed racing. In land speed racing the only relevant measurement is speed in mph.
I don't think you will find many people who will agree with that definition. There are no comparison of cars for top speed in the media. World records yes, but no one goes and buys a car based on it's top speed.

From the very definition of the word:
  • : moving or able to move quickly
  • : happening quickly : taking a short amount of time
  • : operating quickly

and quick:

moving fast or doing something in a short time

If you are quick then you are fast, if you are fast then you take less time.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #33
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Super is right, It could be a quicker et and a faster mph. The A8 is quicker and faster then the M6 in all testing so far and it makes no difference what the dyno shows as the M6 will put down more power on the dyno because the A8 will lose more hp/torque through the torque converter and tranny then the M6 will.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #34
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
We do all our testing in 6th gear 1:1 I have over 40 dyno pulls on my 6th gen.
What speeds are you hitting? In 5th we were seeing speed close to the tire rating and stopped the pull.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #35
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:

your are confusing faster with quicker. Bone stock the M6 should be slightly faster, the A8 is much quicker mainly due to the ability to hook, the M6 uses 1st gear to something like 53 MPH, if is a dicey bog vs blow the tire away. I error on the side of slight bog and slip the clutch. After 150 or so 0 to 60 trials I feel I'm in fighting form for the inevitable street fight. All the time I'll be thinking it is better to bog slightly.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #36
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Super is right, It could be a quicker et and a faster mph. The A8 is quicker and faster then the M6 in all testing so far.
The only direct testing I know of is this:

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1512-...ed-1500-miles/

and the m6 is faster, the A8 is quicker.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #37
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
your are confusing faster with quicker. Bone stock the M6 should be slightly faster, the A8 is much quicker mainly due to the ability to hook, the M6 uses 1st gear to something like 53 MPH, if is a dicey bog vs blow the tire away. I error on the side of slight bog and slip the clutch. After 150 or so 0 to 60 trials I feel I'm in fighting form for the inevitable street fight. All the time I'll be thinking it is better to bog slightly.
Quote:
The only direct testing I know of is this:

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1512-...ed-1500-miles/

and the m6 is faster, the A8 is quicker.
From the very definition of the word fast:
: moving or able to move quickly
: happening quickly : taking a short amount of time
: operating quickly

and quick:

If you are quick then you are fast, if you are fast then you take less time. Don't try to argue with a dictionary. And last time I checked, launching was the most critical part of a drag race. So yes the A8 is the quicker car because it is faster in the 1/4 thanks to gearing.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #38
oldman

Quote:
From the very definition of the word fast:
: moving or able to move quickly
: happening quickly : taking a short amount of time
: operating quickly

and quick:

If you are quick then you are fast, if you are fast then you take less time. Don't try to argue with a dictionary. And last time I checked, launching was the most critical part of a drag race. So yes the A8 is the quicker car because it is faster in the 1/4 thanks to gearing.
nope the A8 is quicker in the 1/4 but the M6 is faster. and no you can't race a dictionary. Faster is measured in speed which is measured in MPH and the M6 traps at a higher MPH also know as "faster". Quicker is measured in time and the A8 is most definitely quicker in completing a 1/4 mile.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #39
SuperSound

Quote:
nope the A8 is quicker in the 1/4 but the M6 is faster. and no you can't race a dictionary. Faster is measured in speed which is measured in MPH and the M6 traps at a higher MPH also know as "faster". Quicker is measured in time and the A8 is most definitely quicker in completing a 1/4 mile.
Enjoy your ignorance of the English language. There's no trophies or victories for MPH in the 1/4. And there's no definition of quick or fast without time in it.

Last edited by SuperSound; 02-22-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #40
oldman

Quote:
Enjoy your ignorance of the English language. There's no trophies or victories for MPH in the 1/4. And there's no definition of quick or fast without time in it.
Logic eludes you. Both do have a time component. Faster has to do with rate of travel, in this case measured in MPH. The car with higher MPH is said to be faster. Quicker means that one car accomplished a task in a shorter time span this is measured only in time and is know as ET when we are dealing with a quarter mile. They are independent of each other. A quicker car wins a timed race is not always the faster car.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #41
oldman

Quote:
Going down a measured distance in less time than another car is "faster".
Actually it makes the car quicker. The M6 going down the measured distance is faster as measured in MPH or trap speed. This is true for the vast majority of auto vs manual cars of the same type.

From: http://english.stackexchange.com/que...ker-and-faster

The definition of the two words makes them synonymous in virtually all cases. However, they do have slightly different connotations that lead to preference in usage. I generally think of something as "fast" if it can achieve a high speed. I think of something as "quick" if it responds rapidly to input.This generally leads to preference of one word over the other in context; "fast" is used in context of speed, while "quick" is used in context of time. So, you would travel fast to get somewhere quickly.

POWNED dude
Old 02-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #42
SuperSound

Quote:
Actually it makes the car quicker. The M6 going down the measured distance is faster as measured in MPH or trap speed. This is true for the vast majority of auto vs manual cars of the same type.

From: http://english.stackexchange.com/que...ker-and-faster

The definition of the two words makes them synonymous in virtually all cases. However, they do have slightly different connotations that lead to preference in usage. I generally think of something as "fast" if it can achieve a high speed. I think of something as "quick" if it responds rapidly to input.This generally leads to preference of one word over the other in context; "fast" is used in context of speed, while "quick" is used in context of time. So, you would travel fast to get somewhere quickly.

POWNED dude
So they got "Fast Food" wrong since obviously the food isn't faster being put on your plate, but it takes less time to make. So it should be Quick Food?

Mickey Thompson should have called their tires MPH Streets, because no one wins a drag race because of ET?

Ask a 5 year old who is faster in a race, the guy who crosses the finish line first or the guy who's legs are moving the most at the finish line.

The USPS describe Priority mail as "fast domestic service". You going to argue with them that they aren't using the correct usage of the word? (or the other hundreds of delivery services that use "fast" in their descriptions).

Jeremy Clarkson always asked if you want to know how "fast" a car is around their track and time is the only measurement. (And so does everyone in terms of track times, i.e. the Camaro SS 1LE is faster around VIR than a Mustang GT PP)

Which professional or amateur racing has a competition for most MPH in the 1/4 mile? No one cares what your MPH is! You didn't beat the guy to finish line, you lost! By your logic a guy could have 2 second RT, spin for the first 300 feet and be the "faster" car. Yes, that's why there are only two real type of drag racing, heads up and bracket. Both have nothing to do with MPH.

For land speed records they use speed over a measured distance and guess how you calculate speed? By time over a measured distance! (Miles Per Hour) So a car that is the fastest in MPH covered the distance in a shorter time than the slower car, which means it is quicker by your own definition!

Bottom line your own post proves you are wrong. If the words are synonyms they can be used interchangeably. There is no if and or but to that. You can try to create your "own definition" (like some internet manual transmission fanboy) to try muddy the fact that the auto is the faster car in the 1/4...period.

And btw, the A8 has posted the highest MPH of any results so far at 118mph