Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
DRVN1

Drives: Audi S4
How many ZL1 are used as Daily Drivers?

Trying to sell my Audi S4 so I can get a ZL1. Just curious how many of you daily drive your ZL1 or are most of you using this car as a weekend car.
I would drive it maybe 10k miles a year and wondering how reliable it has been.
Thanks,
Mike
DRVN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
LT4Supercharged

Drives: Lexus IS350, GX470, Nightrod Sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRVN1 View Post
Trying to sell my Audi S4 so I can get a ZL1. Just curious how many of you daily drive your ZL1 or are most of you using this car as a weekend car.
I would drive it maybe 10k miles a year and wondering how reliable it has been.
Thanks,
Mike
I work 6 days a week. Drive the ZL1 for. 3 or 4 days out of the week for work toward the weekend. The other days i drive my IS350. Commute is about 25 miles to and from.
LT4Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
k20attack

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
I daily drive it for about 6 months out of the year up here. This is my 2nd year driving it and tracking it and haven't had any mechanical issues. Tires go real quick though if you track it a couple times a year. Probably won't get more than 6-8K miles out of them.
k20attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Ours is a DD... my wife's!

We expect about the same yearly mileage, and haven't experienced any issues so far. Basic stuff (oil changes, tires) isn't cheap, and fuel mileage isn't great, but that's to be expected at this performance level.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Mine has been great. I travel 50 minutes, one way, to work and back. Dirt roads and highway. I have nothing to complain about. Other than the even less visibility than the 5th gen....
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
DRVN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Supercharged View Post
I work 6 days a week. Drive the ZL1 for. 3 or 4 days out of the week for work toward the weekend. The other days i drive my IS350. Commute is about 25 miles to and from.
Guess after driving the Lexus is just makes the ZL1 that much faster when you get back to it. Trying do decide if I needed to get a daily.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
DRVN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by k20attack View Post
I daily drive it for about 6 months out of the year up here. This is my 2nd year driving it and tracking it and haven't had any mechanical issues. Tires go real quick though if you track it a couple times a year. Probably won't get more than 6-8K miles out of them.
Planning on taking the car to Sebring a couple times a year. Glad to hear no issues being that you also track the car.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
DRVN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
Ours is a DD... my wife's!

We expect about the same yearly mileage, and haven't experienced any issues so far. Basic stuff (oil changes, tires) isn't cheap, and fuel mileage isn't great, but that's to be expected at this performance level.
Lucky wife! My wife will probably not drive mine since she likes driving the SUV.
I figured the maintenance costs would not be cheap but after driving AMG, M and S cars I have gotten used to it.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
DRVN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Mine has been great. I travel 50 minutes, one way, to work and back. Dirt roads and highway. I have nothing to complain about. Other than the even less visibility than the 5th gen....
That is alot of driving every day and I am glad to hear you have no complaints besides visibility. Would you make a 4 hour trip it in the car or you think would be too much in the car? The seats felt comfortable sitting in them for the 15 minutes that I did.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #10
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
I don't think reliability will be an issue. It is more of a comfort of a daily driver. Great car in all driving situations. does not have to be driving fast to be Happy. Tour mode rides very nice. If you are coming home late and the roads are empty is a great car to let some steam off in also.

Im a bigger guy though and getting in and out can be tough. The doors are very long and if you have tight parking then its difficult to get in and out of. Its very low so you fall into it more than you get into it. Visibility is tough. If you get the 19 the new mirror is cool but the doors are so tall it seems you cant see so well. I feel like im an inch off the ground driving it.

I have a truck for my daily. I could daily the Camaro but I wouldn't enjoy it as much. If you do plan to daily it Id suggest the power stop pads because the brake dust is insane. They aren't expensive but do help to keep dust down a lot. Fuel mileage isn't bad at all if you drive it like its not a 650 hp LT4. Its not the best in the rain unless you change tires.

Great car. If I could only have one car as a daily and want the alpha platform maybe Id do a used CTS-V. 2016 up. You can get a good value on those now. I think they are more DD friendly.
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #11
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
I drive mine 1-2 times a week at most. More if sunny. Not one complaint except I had the TSB done for loose linkage in the front and it was barely loose on one side only. Sometimes the "auto return" of the drivers seat does not work all the time, but not really a huge deal. I have 6200 miles in two years, so I cannot say about high miles, but in the winter it does not get driven much.

Just oil changes and smiles for two years.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I drive mine at least 4 days out of the week and my 2005 Silverado the rest of the time especially if it’s raining or forecasted to rain. I really like to hear the S/C whine when accelerating between gear changes(6 speed) and the mild manners of the LT4 when driving normal, but when it’s kicked in it takes on a whole different personality.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #13
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Me 900 caballos..will drive everyday unless it rains..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #14
DRVN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2018_ZL1 View Post
I don't think reliability will be an issue. It is more of a comfort of a daily driver. Great car in all driving situations. does not have to be driving fast to be Happy. Tour mode rides very nice. If you are coming home late and the roads are empty is a great car to let some steam off in also.

Im a bigger guy though and getting in and out can be tough. The doors are very long and if you have tight parking then its difficult to get in and out of. Its very low so you fall into it more than you get into it. Visibility is tough. If you get the 19 the new mirror is cool but the doors are so tall it seems you cant see so well. I feel like im an inch off the ground driving it.

I have a truck for my daily. I could daily the Camaro but I wouldn't enjoy it as much. If you do plan to daily it Id suggest the power stop pads because the brake dust is insane. They aren't expensive but do help to keep dust down a lot. Fuel mileage isn't bad at all if you drive it like its not a 650 hp LT4. Its not the best in the rain unless you change tires.

Great car. If I could only have one car as a daily and want the alpha platform maybe Id do a used CTS-V. 2016 up. You can get a good value on those now. I think they are more DD friendly.
I work from home 90% of the time so there will be days I would not drive the car at all.
I am 6'3" 255lbs and was surprised that I did not feel too big when I sat in it. My S4 on coilovers actually sits lower so I know what it feels like to fall down into the car.
Had plenty of fast 4 doors and with my last child about to get her own car I want to finally get back to a 2 door again. But I do love the CTS-V and if I was going to get a 4 door that would probably be my next one.