Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #85
gen5wannabe

Drives: dodge avenger
I haven't been on for a long time. Car issues are something that really infuriates me . I just can't believe that issues like this tranny thing (among others) are kept relatively quiet, considering that the average Joe has no idea about how bad GM really is on issues. Yes, the Camaro and the Corvette are both fantastic bargains for what you get and they look the best as far as designs of style. But it does amaze me how owners put up with so so much on various issues on both cars. No, I never owned one. But I have owned GM products for many years - Saturns, Chevy Cobalt,Cruze, are the most recent examples. In general, all of them had issues that were unforgivable in the modern era. Not that other brands haven't had their share of foibles, but, for what you pay for a Camaro or a Vette, it is an absolute crime, imho.
I pains me to read about stuff like this because I am a car fanatic. I've never had the kind of money to throw at a upper trim Camaro or a Vette, but they both are still dream cars of mine. You think they'd fix all the secret issues after like 20 years. Guess not.
Back in 2014 I was on the fence about whether to get a leftover Camaro 6 cyl or a Dodge Avenger 6 cyl. Don't laugh.... the power is there - as far as test drive impressions. I couldn't get the deal on the Camaro, so I cheaped out on the Avenger. All I know is that I've put close to 50K miles on it so far and the Pentastar engine with the 6spd auto - and it has worked without a hiccup. Under any weather conditions (temps) and when pushed hard for several hours, just to see how much of a sleeper it really is. It is no Camaro - looks wise and it's no sports car. But in 2014, the Camaro was a heavier lug and wasn't exactly a sports car either as far as handling. (in fact, it felt more like an Impala than a sports car- my Cruze from 2011 felt sportier in the ride dept.) But why why why can't GM ever get it together in their drivetrain department? They are always good on paper and good for a couple thousand miles - but they always seem to have issues! The number of lawsuits on the C7 Corvette is ridiculous !!!!! And from what I hear, they still have issues to this day.... can't wait to see the debacle that will be the new C8 mid engine! They already tried using a cheap wiring/electrical system to keep the bean counters happy .... and now it's delayed for re-engineering. You can't make this stuff up. I don't understand how they can continue to market these cars with a clear conscience . Cheers.... Happy Holidays! And I hope, no offense to anyone. None intended.
gen5wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #86
Breadzell

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Convertible
I spoke with the law firm who is handling the class action and they told me that the TC is too small and that there’s really no fix without replacing the entire transmission. According to the lawyers doing a fluid flush and even a TC replacement is just a Band Aid for a much bigger problem. I know they’re lawyers and not engineers but I’m sure they’ve hired a bunch to look into the issue. I really hope GM comes up with a solution. I love my car and don’t want to grow to dislike it because to transmission issues.
Breadzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #87
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
2.0 has it also
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #88
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldes View Post
Not exactly, mine started at 25k miles, mid 2017 production 2.0
(and no dealer in the country any more) I'm looking to unload the car, it'll be less costly
I don't understand the "(and no dealer in the country any more)" portion of your comment.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #89
karmatourer
STD free

Quote:
Originally Posted by man0steel View Post
2.0 has it also
I wonder what percentage has the issue. I wish someone had an idea.And if so,why do some have it and some not. I was just told by the service manager at the local dealer that it is prevalent in high humidity states like Florida and Texas!!! (I'm in south Florida).

Last edited by karmatourer; 12-17-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #90
monza66mo
Driving daily

Drives: '17 2SS
I had the flush and fill "fix" and then a few months later the TC replacement was done. The rumble strip shuddering is gone but now the shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is sloppy and noisy. Its worse when its cold but it never "feels" or sounds like it should even when its warm. My MPG is drastically worse now so I assume the tranny is slipping. I'm sure this new shifting symptom is related to the old problem but before I get involved in a class action law suit, I'd like to know if anyone else has had the so called "fixes" and now has new symptoms.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #91
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by monza66mo View Post
I had the flush and fill "fix" and then a few months later the TC replacement was done. The rumble strip shuddering is gone but now the shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is sloppy and noisy. Its worse when its cold but it never "feels" or sounds like it should even when its warm. My MPG is drastically worse now so I assume the tranny is slipping. I'm sure this new shifting symptom is related to the old problem but before I get involved in a class action law suit, I'd like to know if anyone else has had the so called "fixes" and now has new symptoms.
My shift from 1st to 2nd is sloppy too. Also, under heavy acceleration between 3-4 and 4-5 sometimes the traction control light blinks and you can feel the shift reducing engine power for a brief moment.
Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #92
monza66mo
Driving daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korosion View Post
My shift from 1st to 2nd is sloppy too. Also, under heavy acceleration between 3-4 and 4-5 sometimes the traction control light blinks and you can feel the shift reducing engine power for a brief moment.
Have you had the flush "fix" and TC replacement already?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #93
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by monza66mo View Post
Have you had the flush "fix" and TC replacement already?
I have only had the flush.
Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #94
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen5wannabe View Post
I haven't been on for a long time. Car issues are something that really infuriates me . I just can't believe that issues like this tranny thing (among others) are kept relatively quiet, considering that the average Joe has no idea about how bad GM really is on issues. Yes, the Camaro and the Corvette are both fantastic bargains for what you get and they look the best as far as designs of style. But it does amaze me how owners put up with so so much on various issues on both cars. No, I never owned one. But I have owned GM products for many years - Saturns, Chevy Cobalt,Cruze, are the most recent examples. In general, all of them had issues that were unforgivable in the modern era. Not that other brands haven't had their share of foibles, but, for what you pay for a Camaro or a Vette, it is an absolute crime, imho.
I pains me to read about stuff like this because I am a car fanatic. I've never had the kind of money to throw at a upper trim Camaro or a Vette, but they both are still dream cars of mine. You think they'd fix all the secret issues after like 20 years. Guess not.
Back in 2014 I was on the fence about whether to get a leftover Camaro 6 cyl or a Dodge Avenger 6 cyl. Don't laugh.... the power is there - as far as test drive impressions. I couldn't get the deal on the Camaro, so I cheaped out on the Avenger. All I know is that I've put close to 50K miles on it so far and the Pentastar engine with the 6spd auto - and it has worked without a hiccup. Under any weather conditions (temps) and when pushed hard for several hours, just to see how much of a sleeper it really is. It is no Camaro - looks wise and it's no sports car. But in 2014, the Camaro was a heavier lug and wasn't exactly a sports car either as far as handling. (in fact, it felt more like an Impala than a sports car- my Cruze from 2011 felt sportier in the ride dept.) But why why why can't GM ever get it together in their drivetrain department? They are always good on paper and good for a couple thousand miles - but they always seem to have issues! The number of lawsuits on the C7 Corvette is ridiculous !!!!! And from what I hear, they still have issues to this day.... can't wait to see the debacle that will be the new C8 mid engine! They already tried using a cheap wiring/electrical system to keep the bean counters happy .... and now it's delayed for re-engineering. You can't make this stuff up. I don't understand how they can continue to market these cars with a clear conscience . Cheers.... Happy Holidays! And I hope, no offense to anyone. None intended.
Well, I know this isn't much of a reassurance, but similar quality issues aren't limited to GM...

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #95
karmatourer
STD free

Can someone explain to me that if you've had your car in for service 3 or more times for the same issue ,why haven't you used the Lemon Law in your state? Baffles me!
Old 12-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #96
monza66mo
Driving daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
Can someone explain to me that if you've had your car in for service 3 or more times for the same issue ,why haven't you used the Lemon Law in your state? Baffles me!
In my case, I guess it's blind faith that the dealer can fix the problem. It's not their fault that Chevy put a junk transmission in my car and that Chevy has yet to come up with a real fix. I want this car so I keep taking it back to the dealer every time hoping it can and will be fixed.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #97
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
In reference to the torque converter being too small... this article has been out there for a while now (corvette 8 speed)

http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.com...rolet.html?m=1
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #98
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

Drives: '15 1LT/RS & '23 3LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
In reference to the torque converter being too small... this article has been out there for a while now (corvette 8 speed)

http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.com...rolet.html?m=1
Amazing, and that's there 'FLAGSHIP' or 'HALO' vehicle.
If GM doesn't do a correct & permanent fix then I'm no longer a future customer of there vehicles, that's the only power(other than joining the class action) I have and will exercise it.
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet
My entire life has been 'A Midlife Crisis'

Last edited by Rob99; 12-18-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, shudder, torque converter, transmission