Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
16WhiteSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6spd
Camaro SS Battery drain

So for the 2nd time now my car battery has drained to nothing just sitting in the garage. The last time I drove it was last Saturday. Today (Friday), I noticed the red security light was not flashing. Got the door/trunk open manually, checked the voltage; 3.66 volts. Jumped the car, drove around at 50-55 for about 30 minutes and the car is back up to 12.4 volts.

I’ve read some of the battery drain posts on the forum, but haven’t seen anyone with an issue similar to what is going on with my car. I think I found the problem and would like to post it here in case anyone else has this issue.

If all the lights are off in the garage, the car is locked and “sleeping”, I can see the back light on the LCD screen for the gauge cluster turns on for 30 seconds, then off for 5 seconds, and keeps repeating this behavior. I tested this a couple times by unlocking, turning on the ignition, then back off, locking and storing the key in its normal spot. It is repeatable and sometimes the steering wheel lights would flash every time the LCD backlight came on. It’s very hard to see with any amount of light and even hard to see before your eyes adjust to the darkness after turning the lights out. One off the tests the back light stayed off longer, about 20 seconds instead of 5.

My car is a 2016 Camaro 2SS 6 speed, 4700 miles and the only mods are Mishimoto catch can and SLP skip-shift eliminator. Both mods have been on the car for 6 months+ before having this issue.

I'm going to make an appointment at the dealer tomorrow and will post the results.
16WhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I had noticed that anytime I let my car sit for more than 3 days without starting or being on the battery tender it would be dead as a doornail. Took it to the dealer and described the situation. They removed the battery, placed it on a cycle charger for a couple hours to completely drain and recharge it. So now I’m just watching it. Of course, now that the weather is changing (finally) the likelihood of it sitting 3 days without starting are super-slim.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
ive said this before but i think there is sometihng in a part or design that is causes a parasitic drain. i am on my second batt and this is a problem too much posted on here for all of us to have left something on.....yes, all new cars go flat after a month or two, but most people report less than 3days some when it happens. every car should go acouple weeks at least, or else every chevy parked in long term parking could start a class action suit.

all just my opin.....

Last edited by Glen e; 03-31-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Not saying I'm immune to this issue but my car sat for 3 weeks in my friends garage while I had some house work done and started with no issue. (No I didn't leave him a key to it lol).
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Not saying I'm immune to this issue but my car sat for 3 weeks in my friends garage while I had some house work done and started with no issue. (No I didn't leave him a key to it lol).
mine has made it 5 weeks, no problem, a month later , 3 days killed it....thats the point.....you never know....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I agree with Glen...charge life varies. I now just keep it on a battery tender.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
fxdxron1

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Batterry

I am on my 3rd battery My car 2016 SS Manual. These batteries are poor quality. I had the slow start when hot on my first 2 batteries. Now on my 3rd and no more problems. My charging system is fine.
fxdxron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I agree with Glen...charge life varies. I now just keep it on a battery tender.
At first I thought the battery tender was the solution. Then we had a warm stretch (70 degrees in December) where I drive it a few days and didn’t put it back on a tender. Then it got cold and when I went out to hook up the tender it was dead.

Between that and just the idea of what if I went out of town and left it parked at the airport (unlikely...Uber ). I would hate to come back to a dead battery at the airport. That’s why I took it to the dealer even though all appears to be fine for now. Now that I have the issue documented, I can make certain I get recourse if I get a repeat occurrence.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Quite strange, I left my car in November in the garage and started it today with no issue.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #10
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Had the same issue with my Gen5 camaros. They would just go dead without warning. All of my cars are stock with nothing added, or modified. Ended up the battery was what fixed my last 2014 1LE car. Now I always have my car on a tender, when not driving it. My last corvette a C6 was the same way.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
OP- suspect you have a bad battery....dealer should chnge it.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #12
TRich2SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Summit White
I just had my battery replaced via warranty yesterday.
TRich2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #13
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I daily drive mine and I still had it run itself dead overnight twice within a week. Both times I could hear something running up front, down low. Jump starting it worked the first time but the second time it had to be flat bedded to the dealer ...who then said they just jumped it. It’s been fine since ...about one month. Car will be two years old on May 3.

I know low battery voltage will cause things to run that shouldn’t. Maybe the battery is crap and I’d do shelf a favor to replace it with a quality piece. Definitely before next winter

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:53 PM   #14
rotohead

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
Check the OnStar battery if it's bad or dead the sensors will pull power and kill you car battery in about three or four days!
rotohead is offline   Reply With Quote