Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #15
zirad54

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, MRC, NPP,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
Check the OnStar battery if it's bad or dead the sensors will pull power and kill you car battery in about three or four days!
How do you that?
zirad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #16
16WhiteSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6spd
In addition to the previous issues, I also noticed the red door lock indicator LEDs were on even when the car was locked and in sleep.

I got the car back from the dealer. After all their testing, they found a 400 mA draw and narrowed it down to the human machine interface (hmi) module. I was told factory spec for power draw is 18 mA or less. GM suggested they reset this module to factory before trying to replace. They reset to factory and testing seemed to be going well. However, while setting up the test equipment for a weekend draw test, the tech noticed a flicker on the screen. He tested the draw and found 400 mA again. At this point they decided to replace the hmi module. After replacement they were measuring 7 mA draw. I now have the car back and everything seems to be fine. I noticed the red door lock lights are off when the car is in sleep and there is no more screen flicker.

After reading several other bad battery posts and power draw posts I am wondering if this could be the culprit in many of these cases.

Hopefully this info helps.
16WhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:03 AM   #17
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Doesn't sound normal at all. In std batteries, if they get drained, you might as well hunt up a new one. Draining those once or twice, will kill the battery permanently.
At least that's my experience. Can't use them in a solar panel array because of that.
But supposedly, the ones in '17 and '18 are glass-fiber somethings, so may not react the same with a complete drain. Maybe someone has some particulars on these new types?
This last winter, I stored my '17 V6 for almost 2 months. Even when still stone-cold in the '20's, it fired right up, though it ran like shit for several minutes till the computer did some relearning. The manual says that particular car had an auto- disconnect to save the battery during storage. This seemed to activate if the storage was around 2 weeks or more.
My '18-SS?-- dunno, it never sits more than 1 day so far !!!!!!!!!!
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #18
mdhopt36

"human machine interface (hmi) module..."
Nice post.
But I think GM is getting a bit carried away with this type nonsense. It's a car to -DRIVE-.
When it's sitting, it ought to be totally -OFF-.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #19
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
I thought all gMs shut off power after so many minutes of having a draw over a certain level(like if you leave a dome light on. I know I had the door open for a while while detailing and the light shut itself off. I guess it onky applies to certain functions, or whatever handles the shut off isn't working correctly.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
16WhiteSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
I thought all gMs shut off power after so many minutes of having a draw over a certain level(like if you leave a dome light on. I know I had the door open for a while while detailing and the light shut itself off. I guess it onky applies to certain functions, or whatever handles the shut off isn't working correctly.
That was the problem. There was something wrong with the hmi module so it wasn't shutting off.
16WhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #21
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Even when totally off, vehicles have a small battery drain. It is usually in the 20 to 50 milliamp range, depending on the vehicle. Perfectly normal.

I have not had a reason to test my Camaro's battery drain, but I bet it is within that range or close to it.

I keep a battery tender hooked up to the battery while parked in my garage, my Camaro is not a DD.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #22
mdhopt36

One thing I notice, is when I open the door to get in, I hear a small electric motor turn on for a couple seconds.
What's that?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #23
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
Even when totally off, vehicles have a small battery drain. It is usually in the 20 to 50 milliamp range, depending on the vehicle. Perfectly normal.

I have not had a reason to test my Camaro's battery drain, but I bet it is within that range or close to it.

I keep a battery tender hooked up to the battery while parked in my garage, my Camaro is not a DD.

--KLG--
It's not normal. The parasitic drain is far more than what a normal car has. It's been posted here for two years… Above you can read above about somebody who had a 400 Milla amp draw… It's enough to kill the battery parked in a parking lot at an airport in two weeks if you have thevabnormal parasitic drain. Some do , some don't. But nothing about this scenario is "normal."
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #24
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
It's not normal. The parasitic drain is far more than what a normal car has. It's been posted here for two years… Above you can read above about somebody who had a 400 Milla amp draw… It's enough to kill the battery parked in a parking lot at an airport in two weeks if you have thevabnormal parasitic drain. Some do , some don't. But nothing about this scenario is "normal."
Fully agree, 400 milliamp is not normal after the system goes to sleep, but 20 to 50 milliamp is typical. If I had access to the OEM shop manual, we would know for sure.

The last vehicle I tested was a couple years ago, my wife's 2006 GC Overland, 37 milliamps, right in line with the OEM specification. I tested that and the charging system output because she was having an issue with her battery. And it was a battery issue which I had to replace just before we got rid of the Jeep.

When I get a home next week, I will test the Camaro and share what I find.
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
MarkHarp69

Drives: 2016 V6 6-Speed
2016 Dead Battery Overnight

My 2016 V6 has had the battery go dead overnight 3 times for no apparent reason. Just sitting in the garage. It happens randomly about every 6 months. One time I did hear an intermittent buzzing sound coming from under the hood (with the car shut off). It sounded much like a cell phone ringing. I can't say this is related, but so far it's the only clue I've got. (BTW, I was able to record the sound.) If I ever hear it again, I'll use my stethoscope to try to narrow down the source. The dealer and an independent garage checked out the electrical system and of course found nothing wrong.
MarkHarp69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #26
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
Yesterday after I got home from work, I wanted to go and get some stuff out of the trunk, well as kept pushing the button for the trunk to open "Remote in hand" it wouldn't open, I got the other remote and the same thing, nothing so I walked up to see if the security light was flashing and it was not, so it told me that something is wrong, I pried the cap off the door handle and opened the door with the key and no power what so ever and after getting a new multi meter since my old one took a crap, I was getting 4.58 volts, I had started the car like 2 days ago with no issues but I did notice that with the car off for a few hours I would go outside and see that the red LED door lock lights were still on, this does not seem normal, the only time that I saw them before is when I am driving, so today after work, I am going to the dealership and see about getting a new battery and ask them some questions about the power drain, I only have but 5700 miles on it already and I have had the car for 14 months so I guess I will see what they have to say, I don't feel like spending 180 bucks for a new battery if I can help it. But if I have no choice it wont be from the dealership but it will be better.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #27
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
"human machine interface (hmi) module..."
Nice post.
But I think GM is getting a bit carried away with this type nonsense. It's a car to -DRIVE-.
When it's sitting, it ought to be totally -OFF-.
That's not possible when the car has remote door locks and remote start.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #28
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
This really should be in a sub-forum, along with the other long battery drain thread I commented in.

My thinking is that there is something up with modules not properly going to sleep for some reason. This explains the intermittent nature. This is, of course, not THE answer, as I do not want to stray anyone away from the possibility they have a real issue (abraided harness/wire, faulty module, faulty battery, etc.).
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote