Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
random155

Drives: None Yet
Need Help Deciding!!!

Hi, new member here. Long time mustang owner and admirer, but recently started noticing the awesomeness of the 6.2L camaro ss. I have a 2016 2SS lined up to buy. I have two issues I need your feedback on. The first, it's automatic. I dont have anything against auto's but I was really looking for manual. With that being said, I was also thinking I might get tired of rowing gears after a while, and not want to take the car out if I'm feeling lazy. Anyone with auto wish they went manual or vice versa? Second, the carfax has a theft report on it. Basically, a previous owner had the car repo'd. Someone stole the tags off of the car and started blasting through a thoursand dollars of tolls. The owner didnt want to get anymore bills so he reported the whole damn car stolen. Obvious it wasnt stolen, it was repo'd, but its still on the carfax. This is not a daily driver for me, it is a weekend fun toy around car. Here's the kicker, I can have this car for 20k, clear title (34k miles). I think that the price is great and will still have a great time with it, even though its not manual. But, down the line if I decide I want the manual, I might have an issue selling because of the theft reported on carfax. Input?????
random155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
You may have a very hard time selling it, yes. Is it a salvage title too bc of theft? Assume it is. I wouldn’t go near an A8 bc of the shudder issue anyway. I’d go manual and skip this one.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I have the A8 and haven't experienced the "shudder" yet. I got the A8 so my wife can drive it if need be, although that is unlikely. No regrets getting the automatic over the stick.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Could be a great deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by random155 View Post
Hi, new member here. Long time mustang owner and admirer, but recently started noticing the awesomeness of the 6.2L camaro ss. I have a 2016 2SS lined up to buy. I have two issues I need your feedback on. The first, it's automatic. I dont have anything against auto's but I was really looking for manual. With that being said, I was also thinking I might get tired of rowing gears after a while, and not want to take the car out if I'm feeling lazy. Anyone with auto wish they went manual or vice versa? Second, the carfax has a theft report on it. Basically, a previous owner had the car repo'd. Someone stole the tags off of the car and started blasting through a thoursand dollars of tolls. The owner didnt want to get anymore bills so he reported the whole damn car stolen. Obvious it wasnt stolen, it was repo'd, but its still on the carfax. This is not a daily driver for me, it is a weekend fun toy around car. Here's the kicker, I can have this car for 20k, clear title (34k miles). I think that the price is great and will still have a great time with it, even though its not manual. But, down the line if I decide I want the manual, I might have an issue selling because of the theft reported on carfax. Input?????
But could be a nightmare. So,...If you buy it buy it for you to enjoy, not resell. I would inspect carefully and if it seems ok price an extended warranty. If you can get an extended GM warranty then you have some protection. Add the 20,000$ cost of car to cost of warranty= total expense. Remember that extended warranties start date is IN SERVICE DATE OF CAR not the day you buy the car but the day and mileage it was first sold. So if you like the car drive it to a GM dealer tomorrow. Learn if you can get an extended warranty. Get a contract for the best warranty offered. Check your math for a good deal. If yes buy car, then the warranty. If not then I would say don't buy it.
So if you can get 7 year 70,,0000 Mile bumper to bumper and 10 year 100,000 Mile engine/ power train for $3,000 you will have an awesome car with 3 years of full and 7 years of power train warranty for a total of $23,000. If you enjoy it for 7 years you are at $3,300 per year or less than $300 a month plus expenses.
For the record I love my 2017 2SS automatic. Good luck to you. Jeff
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
random155

Thanks for all the feedback so far. It has a clear title (NOT salvage or Rebuilt). Its a private seller, so I would have to pony up the cash to buy the extended warrant, so most likely wont have the expendable cash after paying tax and tags.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I see a bunch of red flags here with the 'stolen tags' story. Who's telling you this, the seller? How does one report a car stolen in NJ that's in their possession? How exactly would the recovery work? That sound fishy to me and a red flag. If someone reported a car stolen to insurance but had it in their possession, would this be considered fraud? There's a likelier possibility that the car was stolen and recovered, the owner took a payout from insurance and is now selling it. The low price likely reflects this. As they say, buyer beware. Beyond this, if you want a manual, don't buy the auto. Wait and get the manual.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Absolutely NOT. Don't do it. You want a manual and you'll regret getting the automatic.
Second, the story sounds super sketch to me. If that story was true, the owner should've just contacted the licensing department, they could have sorted out the situation easily. But instead it was repossessed? Something isn't adding up there. It could have actually been stolen and if it was, you know it was abused. You know nothing about the maintenance history---34k miles. Maybe the guy didn't make his payments. Do you think people who don't make their payments are responsible car owners who make sure everything is done right? Not likely. There could be a significant mechanical issue that he isn't telling you about and just wants to get rid of the car. I wouldn't even consider buying that car. Do NOT buy it. Save your money and look for a certified pre-owned manual 1SS from a reputable dealer.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
Sheriff37
Do it for Dale

Drives: '16 NFGray V6 M6
I was always told, "If you think you'll ever want to drive a manual, then get a manual. You'll wish you got one more than you'll be disappointed you did." and I think that holds true. There have been a few times in traffic that I wished I had an Auto, but way more times that I was glad I got one.

Mine is a DD, and I've never regretted it, so as a weekend car I can't see why you wouldn't get one if you ever even had a thought that you might want it.

Good luck finding one!
Sheriff37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Stay away from the A8.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
fivewunoh

Drives: 18 NFG 1ss M6
People hardly regret getting a manual because they know what they're getting into. It's a big change knowing you're gonna row your own gears every single time you drive your car so usually a lot of thought is put into it ahead of time.

Only you know your own local conditions (traffic, roads, other drivers, commute etc) so if you're willing to deal with that, and driving a stick, then go for it.
fivewunoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #11
random155

So I went a test drove it. Has some minor dings and scratches that I can fix no problem. Runs great and I actually really like the auto. I’ve had my share of manuals and felt very satisfied driving this auto in sport mode. As far as the theft situation I have a local police report number from the seller. I also know a cop so He checked the VIN NCIC and it’s not stolen. Really the only thing that sucks is the blemish on the carfax. I will work on getting that removed because the car wasn’t actually stolen. I think I’m gonna go for it.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #12
random155

To clarify the guy I’m buying from is not the one who reported stolen. The original owner got the car repo’d. When the car was impounded in repo yard someone stole the license plates and used them to run up and down the highway and racked up tolls. The original owner was getting bills for the tolls so he reported the car stolen so he could get out of paying the toles. The new owner had to prove that he was in possession of the car at the time the tolls were getting racked up. That’s the way the car is no longer on the books as stolen. I will obviously confirm this with police before final sale.

Last edited by random155; 12-09-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #13
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by random155 View Post
To clarify the guy I’m buying from is not the one who reported stolen. The original owner got the car repo’d. When the car was impounded in repo yard someone stole the license plates and used them to run up and down the highway and racked up tolls. The original owner was getting bills for the tolls so he reported the car stolen so he could get out of paying the toles. The new owner had to prove that he was in possession of the car at the time the tolls were getting racked up. That’s the way the car is no longer on the books as stolen. I will obviously confirm this with police before final sale.
At the very least, it's a wacky story and the car was not loved as it should have been. I would look for another deal.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #14
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Well its why I like buying my cars new. I have control over maintenance and history.

I went with the A8 because my wife and son both drive automatics and it was not practical to have a manual - that and in the SF bay area the traffic is bad - thus for a daily driver it was not practical - for me.

I would be more interested in having a dealer look at the computer / recorder image and history to see what might be a red flag. Price is an issue as well - but the last thing you want is a two and a half ton boat anchor.