Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #85
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You also have to keep in mind that GM thermally maintains the battery in the Volt/Bolt. Something not everyone does.

Further, GM has always been very conservative in the amount of discharge permitted in use. Yep you can take it pretty low and electrons start doing funky things. The earliest Volts, GM was maintain charge and discharge at very conservative levels protecting the battery.

Volt has been out now for what, 7 years? I haven't heard anyone complaining on line or owners that I know that the battery life has degraded to the point where it impacts their normal use. Not like they are suddenly using the ICE to get around.
Correct on all points. Nissan has had issues with battery range degradation. They do not water cool the battery, they air cool it. Hyundai-Kia water cool their batteries, too, but I don’t know how deep they cycle them. I would suspect that they have benchmarked what GM does with Volt and carry a lot of reserve.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #86
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cavy22 View Post
Sad to see him go. I'm not sure the market is ready for the influx of EV's these manufactures are about to put out. I think it's barely 1% of new car sales so Al is taking a risk, and I'm sure being paid more for it. I can see 25% market share in 10 years, even more in the small car/SUV categories for city runabouts. What is odd to me is GM will no longer make the volt, due to slow sales, and I've only seen one Bolt in person, so I doubt it's selling well. Yet they keep allocating money towards these EV's. Why not use that cash to make the Cruze, which did sell quite a few units, more competitive?
The issue with Volt is not so much that it is an extended range EV, but more that it is a $30,000+ sedan in a strong crossover market. I would not be surprised to see a similar propulsion system appear in a compact CUV. As well as compact CUV BEV.

Bolt is selling pretty much at expected level. It is a subcompact, so that alone limits its appeal. GM’s plan is to introduce BEVs in higher volume more popular segments. Imagine an Equinox sized BEV with 200+ mile range priced in the mid-30s. That could sell.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #87
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
'MAYBE'
GM decided they're going to make a major move to electric's including investing a BILLION dollars and decided they wanted the BEST people working on it, thus they selected their BEST chief engineer, AL.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #88
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
The big question is if this is a promotion because they want him as a trusted person for the EVs, or if they were really unhappy with the 6th Gen and especially the refresh so they wanted someone else in charge
Mary Barra is making strength bets on electrification. She is not going to move an executive into a responsible position in EV development to punish or hide them. A few months ago GM re-structured the Product Development organization to have the person in charge of BEV (Pam Fletcher) report directly to Mary Barra instead of the head of Product Development. They also redeployed a guy who had been head of Product Planning and was instrumental in the deal to acquire Cruise Automation (Mike Abelson) into another role that includes developing and executing plans to increase infrastructure for customers buying GM BEVs, and then last week GM President, Dan Amman, was re-assigned as CEO of Cruise Automation. He and Abelson were the ones who developed the relationship with Cruise Automation that resulted in GM acquiring them. Point is, being put on the GM electrification teams is a huge vote of confidence and an opportunity to be on the cutting edge of the power center of the company.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #89
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
'MAYBE'
GM decided they're going to make a major move to electric's including investing a BILLION dollars and decided they wanted the BEST people working on it, thus they selected their BEST chief engineer, AL.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Agreed Tim! Only the best and brightest going forward. We'll miss him a bunch, but Mark Dickens will be a good Camaro guy. The future is electric!
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #90
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Mary Barra is making strength bets on electrification. She is not going to move an executive into a responsible position in EV development to punish or hide them. A few months ago GM re-structured the Product Development organization to have the person in charge of BEV (Pam Fletcher) report directly to Mary Barra instead of the head of Product Development. They also redeployed a guy who had been head of Product Planning and was instrumental in the deal to acquire Cruise Automation (Mike Abelson) into another role that includes developing and executing plans to increase infrastructure for customers buying GM BEVs, and then last week GM President, Dan Amman, was re-assigned as CEO of Cruise Automation. He and Abelson were the ones who developed the relationship with Cruise Automation that resulted in GM acquiring them. Point is, being put on the GM electrification teams is a huge vote of confidence and an opportunity to be on the cutting edge of the power center of the company.

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #91
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I heard Mike's retirement was announced. Not sure if that's true. I've heard a lot of names through the grapevine last week.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #92
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Hoping the 7th gen makes it to productio, not sure how to read moving Al to EVs, as far as the Camaro is concerned. This whole electric thing makes me laugh though, certain people act like it is some new technology. The reason EVs never took off years ago was battery capacity and the older types of batteries. Nothing really new, just improved over the years. I couldn't care less about EVs, hope ICE high HP enginez at least stick around for at least another gen or 2 for both the Camaro and Corvette.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #93
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
As far as the Camaro? We aren't done yet. The best performance team in the business has more to show you, as you will see in the near future. The best thing you can do is continue to spread the word on what a great car it is, continue to grow Camaro Nation, and continue to support the Camaro team.
That's about the most watered-down and generic response he could make, basically saying "it's not going away tomorrow" and nothing else about the long-term. I have a feeling that internally, even GM themselves doesn't know if they want to commit to the Camaro or not.

Even if Al said something like "Camaro is definitely coming out with a gen 7" it could end up being an unintentional lie. He's said things in strong absolutes before only for the higher-ups to ultimately get their way.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #94
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Well, sounds like the Camaro is dying again IMO. They are already dumping cars and New GM has no reverence for the past. Look at what they name Caddy's now(Lincoln is seeing the error of their ways, maybe there is hope). Meanwhile, Toyota thinks Cars have mostly bottomed out but will keep a focus on them. I think after the next crash the company with the best cars will take a huge leap in the market share.

And the biggest problem with EV's is the US doesn't have the infastructure to support them.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #95
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I may never buy a new car again. This whole electric thing sucks. Seriously.

I knew eventually I’d be buying a couple cars at Barrett-Jackson or Mecum but I never dreamed it would also be for my every day driver.

Actually they do both have nice every day drivers go up, you just have go low mileage because I’ll never trust a car owned by someone before me.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #96
jingaling

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 MT
There were those surveys that went out a couple months ago asking about the interest in 4 cylinder hybrid turbos and v8 hybrids. I would imagine they start out with the hybrids before they go full electric on the camaros. I don't think the v6 will be around much longer though.
jingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #97
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
From Al..

I would like to share this post with everyone from Camaro Nation, as well as all of my friends and family. It has truly been very humbling to see the outpouring of well wishes and thanks from everyone on my announcement. I have always considered myself a lucky and blessed man to have been able to do what I have done for General Motors. Many of you know I have always been a Camaro guy, way back to my first car, my '70 1/2. Many of you have heard my story of being in the very room in March 2005, when our leadership decided it was time to bring the Camaro back as a concept car at the 2006 NAIAS. I was in charge of concept vehicles at that time, and we built the legendary running concept car. Since that moment, I have always tried to guide our amazing team to remember what Pete Estes said when they announced the new Camaro back in 1966 "The real mission of the Camaro is to be a close companion to its owner, tailored to reflect his or her individual tastes, and at the same time provide exciting personal transportation". I believe our Camaro team has done that successfully with both the 5th Gen and 6th Gen Camaro. I have traveled literally around the world for this car, and have met so many wonderful Camaro owners, whom I refer to as my Camaro family, or Camaro Nation. You have all taken me and my team in for a closer look at what you have done with our car to personalize it, to make it your own. That is my favorite moment, when we have bonded as a Camaro family. This last week has definitely been an emotional one for me, with a lot of ups and downs. I will spend some time with you over a few laughs, a few tears, rest up over the holidays, but then I am going to come back in January in my new role, swinging harder than ever. As far as the Camaro? We aren't done yet. The best performance team in the business has more to show you, as you will see in the near future. The best thing you can do is continue to spread the word on what a great car it is, continue to grow Camaro Nation, and continue to support the Camaro team. With regard to my new role, I am honored and proud that I am part of GM's vision for the future, and my contributions are recognized as necessary to help get there, and forever grateful to our visionary leaders Mary Barra and Mark Reuss for my opportunities past and future. I'm proud to say #IworkforGM.
Thanks for sharing this mlee.

Thanks to you Al, for all that you have contributed to OUR Gen5/6 Camaros. All the best in your future endeavors. You will be missed.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #98
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Thanks for sharing this mlee.

Thanks to you Al, for all that you have contributed to OUR Gen5/6 Camaros. All the best in your future endeavors. You will be missed.
+1

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote