Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-03-2018, 05:49 AM   #43
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Speaking of updates, my 19' just did an automatic update two weeks ago. It gave me a prompt that I would need to leave the car parked and off for 15 min to do the update. What got updated, I have no idea. As a footnote, the car was built in Sept this year, so I assume I might get regular updates just like my PC.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #44
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy Camaro View Post
Any updates on our cars getting this?
Hell will freeze over before GM gives you an infotainment update that substantial. They want you to trade up. Even if it's just cosmetic, they won't skin the UI to look like the 2019. They want you to be reminded you have an older car.

This is not going to happen, ever. Period.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #45
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Hell will freeze over before GM gives you an infotainment update that substantial. They want you to trade up. Even if it's just cosmetic, they won't skin the UI to look like the 2019. They want you to be reminded you have an older car.

This is not going to happen, ever. Period.
This.

Or they find a way to turn a profit on it and say you can have it for $xxx dollars, but on the back end, that requires them to test with prior versions of the software and hardware, which will take lots of time and money.

The nice thing about the new infotainment, is that it will allow you to get many updates over the air, or via WiFi...but even then, when they come out with a new infotainment version a few years from now, no way they'll update these to that version at that time. It would be "somethin" if they did.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #46
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
This.

Or they find a way to turn a profit on it and say you can have it for $xxx dollars, but on the back end, that requires them to test with prior versions of the software and hardware, which will take lots of time and money.

The nice thing about the new infotainment, is that it will allow you to get many updates over the air, or via WiFi...but even then, when they come out with a new infotainment version a few years from now, no way they'll update these to that version at that time. It would be "somethin" if they did.
This is a design problem and not a major cost factor. It's rather asinine to assume that significant numbers of people would buy a new model just to get these enhancements, while allowing the retrofit and charging $$$ for it would 1) have a 10x return on the software/testing investment and 2) help build and boost brand loyalty, just look at the Tesla fanboys/girls.

Say, rear view camera upgrade pack - $1499, infotainment upgrade pack - $2499, gauge cluster pack - $1099, complete electronics upgrade pack (all 3) - $4499 etc., I'm pretty sure they would not lose a dime in the end.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 12-03-2018 at 04:12 PM.
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #47
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Say, rear view camera upgrade pack - $1499, infotainment upgrade pack - $2499, gauge cluster pack - $1099, complete electronics upgrade pack (all 3) - $4499 etc., I'm pretty sure they would not lose a dime in the end.
DLC for your car, buy the “Season Pass” for $2500 onr time or $100/mo forever...

Don’t think one of them won’t try it...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #48
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
BMW is doign it.. want CarPlay... thats be $99/month !

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #49
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
Does anyone believe there will be a hack or update for our 2016-18 cars for the digital display from the photos of the 2019 infotainment 3 update? Looks pretty good. Wouldn’t mind having the update. I doubt they won’t change the hardware within the 2019 screens.
Probably need Windows 10 upgrade first. Our cars are running Windows XP.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #50
Ray-J

Drives: 2018 2.0t Camaro RS 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This is a design problem and not a major cost factor. It's rather asinine to assume that significant numbers of people would buy a new model just to get these enhancements, while allowing the retrofit and charging $$$ for it would 1) have a 10x return on the software/testing investment and 2) help build and boost brand loyalty, just look at the Tesla fanboys/girls.

You said it. One of the reasons I love Tesla is because when you buy the car it is not automatically dated. I love the fact that it can get better. That is not a fan boy comment but a car guy comment. The days of trying basic a$$ tricks to get you to upgrade the whole car are all close to being over. Make money off of offering us upgrades if that is the route you want to go. I think the reason they won't is because they follow an old model and because the parts are sourced or licensed out.

2018 Camaro 2.0t Automatic
Ray-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #51
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-J View Post
You said it. One of the reasons I love Tesla is because when you buy the car it is not automatically dated. I love the fact that it can get better. That is not a fan boy comment but a car guy comment. The days of trying basic a$$ tricks to get you to upgrade the whole car are all close to being over. Make money off of offering us upgrades if that is the route you want to go. I think the reason they won't is because they follow an old model and because the parts are sourced or licensed out.
Yep. For now, GM and Tesla have extremely different business models. Every car Tesla makes is cutting-edge (bleeding-edge, even?) and as such their business culture very openly welcomes the idea of pushing out a platform with the requisite computing power first and foremost, and then they figure out the software side later. Basically, they sell software-unlockable features at a price premium to in turn reinvest that into further R&D and future software updates in the pursuit of full autonomous driving.

GM, even though they are dipping their toes into the electric car and autonomous vehicle segment, is still very much a traditional car brand. So yes, for now their business model still revolves around intentionally letting their infotainment systems, and other software-based systems, age aside from *maybe* extremely minor firmware updates. While this by itself might not convince somebody to trade up to a 2019, it does serve as a contributing factor to encourage a new car sale.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #52
mondelo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Yep. For now, GM and Tesla have extremely different business models. Every car Tesla makes is cutting-edge (bleeding-edge, even?) and as such their business culture very openly welcomes the idea of pushing out a platform with the requisite computing power first and foremost, and then they figure out the software side later. Basically, they sell software-unlockable features at a price premium to in turn reinvest that into further R&D and future software updates in the pursuit of full autonomous driving.

GM, even though they are dipping their toes into the electric car and autonomous vehicle segment, is still very much a traditional car brand. So yes, for now their business model still revolves around intentionally letting their infotainment systems, and other software-based systems, age aside from *maybe* extremely minor firmware updates. While this by itself might not convince somebody to trade up to a 2019, it does serve as a contributing factor to encourage a new car sale.

Back in 2016, one of the model S trims was being sold with a bigger battery than advertised. They then offered to unlock it for a price!

Pretty wild strategy and definitely in stark contrast to GM's operating model

Imagine if we were all told we could pay $3000 and get an GM tune which unlocked an extra 50hp that was dormant and kept us in warranty! (that the engine off the line was clocked down to 450hp)

Important to note that Tesla advertised and sold as the lower capacity kWh battery pack and range...
(I think it was 70kWh and it really had a battery capable of 75kWh)
mondelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #53
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
This only works as long as there is either no competition or they follow a similar strategy. However, this market has been disrupted and GM either adapts or will disappear.

Now whether this entirely software-driven and inherently centralized culture is healthy and sustainable is another question altogether, I have serious doubts about that (and I say that as a senior dev), but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #54
max pl

Drives: BMW M3
anyone know why the 2019 C7 corvettes don't have the update?
max pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #55
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by max pl View Post
anyone know why the 2019 C7 corvettes don't have the update?
My guess is because they are planning to replace the C7 very soon. So why take the time and resources to change it? Plus the factory was down for most of 2018.

My guess though.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #56
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
An idea! Let's be happy with what we have! 5th to 6th gen was an upgrade & a half. They ditched the non glare surface that rubbed off. My 2013 Vert had radio preset rub offs on AM Repub talk stations. Couldn't see when radio was on but off, looked horrible.

Now that I figured out my iPod classic would just work in shuffle mode I'm good. Using my 5th Gen Nano for Christmas albums & killer playlist.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote