Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #15
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I love my Whipple Blown 2010 as modern muscle, but my '77 Bandit has always been my "Beloved" since I ordered it new 41 years ago. There is a new show series coming out called "Trans AM" on the Discovery Channel starting 10/2. Can't wait.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:22 AM   #16
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
^so jealous!, that’s my dream car...
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:59 AM   #17
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperV117 View Post
I remember when youtube was starting out seeing a video of a trans am that made me love those cars. Very cool cars.

Another good reason to have a stalled automatic
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #18
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I gotta tell you, with about a year with my 2011 SS, I’m really regretting selling my 99 Z28. I don’t race so the added performance hasn’t been a big deal so overall my 99 was just a better overall car, at least for me. It actually had less squeaks and rattles than my SS, it was more practical and cheaper to operate than my SS, especially since it was paid for and because it was a clean and increasingly rare car, I got more thumbs up than I’ll probably ever get with the newer car. I used to be able to put my bike under the hatch while I can barely get a cooler in the trunk of the SS. My T-roof never leaked or rattled while the SS sunroof rattles like a tin can. The leather seats on my SS with only 56k miles have worn badly while the Z28 seats with 100k miles were still in great shape. And like someone mentioned above, the IP is a complete mess compared to the 99. It even pisses me off that the damn thing doesn’t have a spare tire even though I know that’s becoming more and more common.

Right now I’m hoping the car will grow on me but as of now I’m really regretting it.
Attached Images

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #19
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I gotta tell you, with about a year with my 2011 SS, I’m really regretting selling my 99 Z28. I don’t race so the added performance hasn’t been a big deal so overall my 99 was just a better overall car, at least for me. It actually had less squeaks and rattles than my SS, it was more practical and cheaper to operate than my SS, especially since it was paid for and because it was a clean and increasingly rare car, I got more thumbs up than I’ll probably ever get with the newer car. I used to be able to put my bike under the hatch while I can barely get a cooler in the trunk of the SS. My T-roof never leaked or rattled while the SS sunroof rattles like a tin can. The leather seats on my SS with only 56k miles have worn badly while the Z28 seats with 100k miles were still in great shape. And like someone mentioned above, the IP is a complete mess compared to the 99. It even pisses me off that the damn thing doesn’t have a spare tire even though I know that’s becoming more and more common.

Right now I’m hoping the car will grow on me but as of now I’m really regretting it.

So I also am a previous 4th gen owner. It did have A LOT less squeaks and rattles than my 5th gen. I also miss being able to put my bicycle in the back, actually with the front wheels removed i would get two in the back with gear. I miss t-tops as well. However I rarely got compliments about the the 4th gen, the 5th gen is non stop compliments compared to the 5th gen. I am way more comfortable in the 5th gen though on long trips. 5th gen has one of the most comfortable seats out of any car I have sat in short of some Bentleys I got to ride in.
The one thing I miss the most? The lighter weight. The 5th gen feels like a pig in the corners, gives me no confidence compared to my 3rd and 4th gen, even though the 5th is more capable, I am not comfortable reaching those limits.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #20
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
So I also am a previous 4th gen owner. It did have A LOT less squeaks and rattles than my 5th gen. I also miss being able to put my bicycle in the back, actually with the front wheels removed i would get two in the back with gear. I miss t-tops as well. However I rarely got compliments about the the 4th gen, the 5th gen is non stop compliments compared to the 5th gen. I am way more comfortable in the 5th gen though on long trips. 5th gen has one of the most comfortable seats out of any car I have sat in short of some Bentleys I got to ride in.
The one thing I miss the most? The lighter weight. The 5th gen feels like a pig in the corners, gives me no confidence compared to my 3rd and 4th gen, even though the 5th is more capable, I am not comfortable reaching those limits.
Maybe it’s because by 1999 GM had a lot of the issues fixed in the 4th Gen. I know the LS1 definitely fixed a lot of the LT1 engine issues.

Like you, I also miss the “tossability” of the 4th. Even with the stick axle it seemed a bit easier to drive fast. I’ll never use all of the ability the 5th has. Guess I’m getting old, lol.

I haven’t really taken it on a long trip yet so I can’t judge the long drive comfort. I’m also hoping that once I get better shocks and suspension parts I’ll enjoy it more.

I think the compliments are because in my area, 5th Gens are a dime a dozen, while most 4th Gens are gone due to rust or general butchery. A lot of the few that are left are babied by their owners.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Old 09-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #21
marklsx

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Maybe it’s because by 1999 GM had a lot of the issues fixed in the 4th Gen. I know the LS1 definitely fixed a lot of the LT1 engine issues.

Like you, I also miss the “tossability” of the 4th. Even with the stick axle it seemed a bit easier to drive fast. I’ll never use all of the ability the 5th has. Guess I’m getting old, lol.

I haven’t really taken it on a long trip yet so I can’t judge the long drive comfort. I’m also hoping that once I get better shocks and suspension parts I’ll enjoy it more.

I think the compliments are because in my area, 5th Gens are a dime a dozen, while most 4th Gens are gone due to rust or general butchery. A lot of the few that are left are babied by their owners.

The 5th gen has more displacement and the heads flow way more.

I don't see any mods listed on your sig - maybe all you need is a cam, headers, cat back & a tune. Then you will smile more.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #22
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
Did you have that picture on ls1 site. Lots of us 5th gen owners came from 4th gens
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #23
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklsx View Post
The 5th gen has more displacement and the heads flow way more.

I don't see any mods listed on your sig - maybe all you need is a cam, headers, cat back & a tune. Then you will smile more.
Nope. No mods yet. I’m sure that the first time I have to change the plugs or do headers or catback I’ll better understand that the 5th Gen is a “better” car, lol.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #24
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Nope. No mods yet. I’m sure that the first time I have to change the plugs or do headers or catback I’ll better understand that the 5th Gen is a “better” car, lol.
Not sure how you can't be smiling already. The 5th gen is just a hair better all around car......
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:49 AM   #25
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
Did you have that picture on ls1 site. Lots of us 5th gen owners came from 4th gens
If I did, it would've been about 15 years ago. I was on camaroz28.com and ls1tech.com. I immediately regretted selling that car and always have, that is until I bought my 1LE last Jan. Now I don't really miss it much at all, well other than my hair (that I still had back then) blowing in the breeze with the t-tops out.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #26
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
I love my Whipple Blown 2010 as modern muscle, but my '77 Bandit has always been my "Beloved" since I ordered it new 41 years ago. There is a new show series coming out called "Trans AM" on the Discovery Channel starting 10/2. Can't wait.
You sir, are a lucky man! Beautiful car.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #27
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
Hell yeah man, that's the way to do it!! My dad had one of these when I was little, and my first car was an 80 trans am (wanted a 77-78 nose for it). They are awesome cars and definitely turn a lot of heads when they go by.
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #28
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
Cool pic J Rod...those sneaky cops driving unmarked cars.

And I can't stop drooling over hesster's T/A... all the cool kids had one when I was in high school (class of '79 here).

Don't get me wrong...I was cool too but broke.
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote