Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Rear ZL1 Lic Plate bracket options...

Anyone replaced theirs yet...I'm not a fan of the dealers.

The only exterior mods I'm interested in are window tint (done) the rear bracket & those gun metal wheel lugs.

I still am not sure what I will do for the front lic bracket...it's off for now.

thanks...
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Plain gloss black
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post

The only exterior mods I'm interested in are window tint (done) the rear bracket & those gun metal wheel lugs.

I still am not sure what I will do for the front lic bracket...it's off for now.

thanks...
For the front, the ZL1addon front bracket is awesome. I'm super impressed with it. Construction is very solid. I drilled a hole in the plate so I could take the entire mount on and off easily for track days. Still looking for a rear surround. I don't have anything on there right now.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Canadian ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
For the front, the ZL1addon front bracket is awesome. I'm super impressed with it. Construction is very solid. I drilled a hole in the plate so I could take the entire mount on and off easily for track days. Still looking for a rear surround. I don't have anything on there right now.

I bought the same one from ZL1 add on. Could I see a picture of the hole you drilled in the plate? I am trying to picture this but can't see the image in my head. I thought you simply need to un-tighten the shaft and it will pop right off (the lic plate bracket that is? I also have the tow hook when I take it to the track.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian ZL1 View Post
I bought the same one from ZL1 add on. Could I see a picture of the hole you drilled in the plate? I am trying to picture this but can't see the image in my head. I thought you simply need to un-tighten the shaft and it will pop right off (the lic plate bracket that is? I also have the tow hook when I take it to the track.
The problem is the clearance to get behind the mount is tight. You really want the shaft tight so you need to put a crescent wrench on it. Then you put the plate mount on via a bolt with a hex head. Then the plate goes on. So if you don't take the plate off you can't get the mount off. I also considered a scenario where I left the plate on for track days and used the hole to mount the tow hook through it. I think i scrapped that idea due to the possible airflow restriction. Here are a few shots. The hole is barely noticeable unless you're really looking. I might try to clean the hole up a bit.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
Canadian ZL1

[QUOTE=camaropete;9609875]The problem is the clearance to get behind the mount is tight. You really want the shaft tight so you need to put a crescent wrench on it. Then you put the plate mount on via a bolt with a hex head. Then the plate goes on. So if you don't take the plate off you can't get the mount off. I also considered a scenario where I left the plate on for track days and used the hole to mount the tow hook through it. I think i scrapped that idea due to the possible airflow restriction. Here are a few shots. The hole is barely noticeable unless you're really looking. I might try to clean the hole up a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to show me this. I am not sure if personally I want to drill a hole in my license plate but like the idea. I am ok with the extra labor involved in having to remove the license plate and then removing the black bracket. When I hit the track I will substitute with the red tow hook. Will make sure I have the proper tools so she is nice and tight.

I was thinking the same thing about just leaving the plate on as it appears it would not interfere with air flow (heat exchangers are below), however, if you break down on the track and you don't have the tow hook I believe you are up shits creek?

Glad you are happy with it overall.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #7
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post

thanks...
I'm not using a frame or bracket for the rear plate.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian ZL1 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to show me this. I am not sure if personally I want to drill a hole in my license plate but like the idea. I am ok with the extra labor involved in having to remove the license plate and then removing the black bracket. When I hit the track I will substitute with the red tow hook. Will make sure I have the proper tools so she is nice and tight.

I was thinking the same thing about just leaving the plate on as it appears it would not interfere with air flow (heat exchangers are below), however, if you break down on the track and you don't have the tow hook I believe you are up shits creek?

Glad you are happy with it overall.
On other thing to consider and another reason I drilled the hole... The holes that the plate mounts to aren't threaded. The kit comes with elastic nuts. So to take the plate on and off you'll need a screwdriver and a small crescent wrench or box wrench. Not a huge deal but I could see myself losing the nuts somewhere at the track.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #9
Canadian ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
On other thing to consider and another reason I drilled the hole... The holes that the plate mounts to aren't threaded. The kit comes with elastic nuts. So to take the plate on and off you'll need a screwdriver and a small crescent wrench or box wrench. Not a huge deal but I could see myself losing the nuts somewhere at the track.
Hmmmmm how much are elastic nuts? I might buy a boat load and or have a zip lock bag to hood em. . Yes having the tools is not a big deal. If I was doing the track every weekend then yes I can see this being a hassle.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #10
KyleL

Drives: Slow
This is mine that I've carried over from may last few cars.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #11
Naturday13

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
That's awesome!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Here's my rear bracket. I'm driving my 4th Camaro and none have had the front license plate installed even though it's state law. So far, knock on wood, I haven't been stopped for not having a front plate.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
That's a funny plate frame...I might have to "borrow" that lol
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #14
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Just got my vanity plates.
Attached Images