Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-12-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Mcnairbear

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS, twin turbo
Smile locking hood pins

I have a 2012 camaro ss. I have a significant amount of upgrades under the hood. I am hearing how the method thieves are using to steal cars are to; break the front headlight gaining access to the (horn) wires to cut them, then breaking through to the inside of the car to pop the hood, then disconnecting the wires to the ECM that will disengage the security system so they can still start the car and drive away.
I am not feeling very good about this. I am in NorCal Camaros club and I am hearing about breakins and thefts all the time. I am already going to purchase a better security system (Ravelco) to stop my car being stolen. But I still need a way to secure my hood.
I have been searching online for decent hood pins w/ locks and it seems the best one I could find was the: AeroCatch 120 series hood pin w/ lock... This is not really what I am looking for. I don't mind cutting into my hood to install these locking latches, but if I do I definitely want something a little more high tech or better looking.
Someone please point me in the direction to a great set of hood pins w/ locks. thank you very much!

jeremy m.
Mcnairbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Hate to say it but most cars stolen nowadays aren't driven away, they are towed away by pickups with tow arms installed. Similar to this http://liftandtow.com/
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
KGoddard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sounds like these thieves are doing a lot to get peoples cars. What makes you think a few locking hood pins is going to stop them?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
I thought they plug into the OBDII port and hack the computer from there.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
There's no good place to mount those aerocatch pins on our cars. I bought a set for my harwood cowl then returned them.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Hate to say it but most cars stolen nowadays aren't driven away, they are towed away by pickups with tow arms installed. Similar to this http://liftandtow.com/
Plenty of the cars stolen here in Northern California are being driven away.

It's mind boggling how quick these thieves are. They're in and gone in a matter of a couple minutes.

Last edited by Pushrod Pete; 07-12-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #7
WeflyhereSS

Drives: 2012 Black on Black Camaro 2ss
If they want it they gonna take it
Old 07-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
LoJack. If it ever does get taken you can track it!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Lojack and a kill switch combos are your best bets.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnairbear View Post
I have a 2012 camaro ss. I have a significant amount of upgrades under the hood. I am hearing how the method thieves are using to steal cars are to; break the front headlight gaining access to the (horn) wires to cut them, then breaking through to the inside of the car to pop the hood, then disconnecting the wires to the ECM that will disengage the security system so they can still start the car and drive away.
I am not feeling very good about this. I am in NorCal Camaros club and I am hearing about breakins and thefts all the time. I am already going to purchase a better security system (Ravelco) to stop my car being stolen. But I still need a way to secure my hood.
I have been searching online for decent hood pins w/ locks and it seems the best one I could find was the: AeroCatch 120 series hood pin w/ lock... This is not really what I am looking for. I don't mind cutting into my hood to install these locking latches, but if I do I definitely want something a little more high tech or better looking.
Someone please point me in the direction to a great set of hood pins w/ locks. thank you very much!

jeremy m.
You're good to go with the Ravelco. Locking hood pins would be good, I've never seen any though.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:43 AM   #11
Mcnairbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Actually a lot in Northern California are being driven away. And they have something out there for your clutch. Kind of like "the club" that goes on your steering wheel. It attaches underneath your clutch so your clutch is 3always in gear. Probably only slow them down anyway.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
amazing what you can find with Google . https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...oduct=3038-002
Old 07-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
Mcnairbear

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGoddard View Post
Sounds like these thieves are doing a lot to get peoples cars. What makes you think a few locking hood pins is going to stop them?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Because after they disable the alarm, and get into your car, they will not be able to open the hood to finish disconnecting the security system from the ECM. Which is how they're able to start the car and drive it away. But I figure if they really want in, they'll get in. Locking hood pins may just slow them down long enough to skip that job
Old 07-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #14
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
amazing what you can find with Google . https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...oduct=3038-002
No one said finding the pins was difficult. Even summit carries them.