Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-02-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
sevron

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 RS
Rotofab CAI, Borla ATAK, voiding warranty or will I be fine?

Hello, new here. Just received my 2023 LT1 last week and already looking at mods.

I got a quote from a Camaro shop on a Rotofab CAI + Tuning for $1095. After looking at things online, it seems tuning of any kind will void your warranty (Yes, I'm aware of the Managuson Moss Act). Is a tune required for a Rotofab install? Also, how difficult are CAI's to install? I'm kinda techy, but never done anything with cars. I wonder if I would be able to do the CAI install myself.

Second, I am looking at the Borla ATAK Single Tip exhaust (I do not have the NPP Dual Mode Exhaust). This doesn't require a tune from what I've seen. Will this still void my warranty or would it be on a case of GM needs to prove the Borla is what caused any damage if I do need to warranty the car?

Is there anything else I can really do that won't 1000% void the warranty? I would like to get somewhere in the 550+hp out of this if possible. Over time obviously, not all at once.

Any advice?
sevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:33 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevron View Post
Hello, new here. Just received my 2023 LT1 last week and already looking at mods.

I got a quote from a Camaro shop on a Rotofab CAI + Tuning for $1095. After looking at things online, it seems tuning of any kind will void your warranty (Yes, I'm aware of the Managuson Moss Act). Is a tune required for a Rotofab install? Also, how difficult are CAI's to install? I'm kinda techy, but never done anything with cars. I wonder if I would be able to do the CAI install myself.

Second, I am looking at the Borla ATAK Single Tip exhaust (I do not have the NPP Dual Mode Exhaust). This doesn't require a tune from what I've seen. Will this still void my warranty or would it be on a case of GM needs to prove the Borla is what caused any damage if I do need to warranty the car?

Is there anything else I can really do that won't 1000% void the warranty? I would like to get somewhere in the 550+hp out of this if possible. Over time obviously, not all at once.

Any advice?
There are a few mod friendly dealers out there, I don't know of any. The majority of dealers are not mod friendly, so if you go in for powertrain warranty work and they see the tune, they will probably deny your warranty.

If you want to be safe, do the borla attack single tip. It does not require a tune. The CAI will require a tune. There are no power mods that you can do to make more power without tuning.

PS: for what it's worth, the factory CAI flows very good up to Full Bolt-ons.
Old 11-02-2022, 04:10 PM   #3
sevron

Ah, ok. So the shop I was looking into for the work wasn't just trying to sell me something then. Good to know.

And just so I know, the Borla Atak is mainly just for looks and sound, there's no real performance gains using it right? I don't think there are any, or if there is it's very minor.
Old 11-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #4
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevron View Post
Ah, ok. So the shop I was looking into for the work wasn't just trying to sell me something then. Good to know.

And just so I know, the Borla Atak is mainly just for looks and sound, there's no real performance gains using it right? I don't think there are any, or if there is it's very minor.
No performance gain, just sound. Sadly, you need to tune for power mods to realize the HP gains.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:30 PM   #5
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Skip the CAI, no real gains without a tune, and that goes for any mods. If you need a warranty, forget about adding any power.

If you want better sound, which I completely relate to, then get the Borla system. As you said, have to prove the failure was caused by....blah blah. Low risk mod there, no HP gains but like me some need that aftermarket rumble.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:05 AM   #6
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
A standard Roto Fab does not require a tune and is an easy install. Save the tune unless you go with headers, etc. A tune for just a CAI is not worth the likely loss of warranty coverage.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...

Last edited by SJFGTO; 11-03-2022 at 08:15 AM.
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:24 AM   #7
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
You can get the GM CAI which is not bad at all. It comes with A tune code just for that CAI to be used on your car. You can get the dealer to install it and they program the tune that you get.

FYI: do not trash the paper work. The tune code is on one of the pages and the dealer will need it to program your car.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:50 AM   #8
JVERMETTE

Drives: 22 ZL1
You should be able to do RotoFab intake, NOT THE BIG GULP, and any exhaust that is behind the cats. Do not tune and do not tamper with the cats or headers until you can tune. Do not tune until the car is about 3 to 4 years old or the dealer will deny powertrain warranty. Most dealers do not care about Magnusson law anymore, once the tech enters in the system the vehicle has been tuned by OBD 2, the manufacturer will deny the powertrain warranty.
JVERMETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #9
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Tuning is a universal denial or loss of powertrain warranty, they can see it's tuned and once that a dealer records that you're done. The CAI and exhaust can be really subjective most dealers aren't going to look at that too hard but you roll in with those and the engine is blown, you might be screwed. It's a real toss up and what you want to risk with a warranty, you get a service department with a bad attitude and you're done for.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:13 AM   #10
shippingguy

Drives: 2024 Black ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6000 View Post
You can get the GM CAI which is not bad at all. It comes with A tune code just for that CAI to be used on your car. You can get the dealer to install it and they program the tune that you get.

FYI: do not trash the paper work. The tune code is on one of the pages and the dealer will need it to program your car.
You can no longer get that CAI. GM no longer offers it and all online stores have been told not to sell.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #11
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shippingguy View Post
You can no longer get that CAI. GM no longer offers it and all online stores have been told not to sell.
really? wow didnt know that.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:58 PM   #12
sevron

Thanks for all the replies and knowledge on the CAI and tuning, etc.

I think I'll just be keeping things pretty stock and tame until the car is older. I'm still thinking about the Borla ATAK Dual Tip exhaust, but the warranty still sits in the back of my mind, should something happen.

I do not race the car, it's my daily driver and I mainly just want the Borla for the more aggressive sounding exhaust. Now if only I could find a Camaro with a Borla ATAK or Corsa Extreme installed in my city so I could hear it physically instead of over a video lol.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:56 PM   #13
sevron

Instead of making a new thread, the Borla Atak, should I be looking at the Axel Back or Cat Back system? I'm assuming Axel Back is just from the rear axel to muffler and Cat Back is from the catalytic convert and back right?
Old 11-15-2022, 05:39 PM   #14
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Cat back is a waste of money. I’d just do the axle back if you want sound. I have headers and still stock exhaust and it’s not limiting me at all with around 650 to the wheels.