Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 10-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #15
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
I would still take the 6 speed over a CVT that other cheap cars have......
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #16
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
$21,4951 entry level? Considering where the Trailblazer is and what it is, it probably should be more aero, narrower, cheaper, lighter.

Chock full of standard BS bumping up the price like: electric parking brake, nanny safety tech, bigger infotainment, large wheels, rear discs, and another turbo dohc going after trace pollution and trace mpg gain. Someone will say meeting regs isn't their fault, but the economy is running toward a giant brick wall.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #17
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
OMG! The Horror!...lol...An actual new ICE vehicle at probably the lowest cost yet. How is this possible when it includes the now suddenly realized hi cost of parts and assembly, and hi-future expenses of an exhaust system, a coolant system, a fuel delivery system, etc. that an EV does not require, yet EVs are vastly more expensive?...lol

Could it be that some sanity has crept in and GM realized they needed an affordable vehicle? And an ICE no less. The climate alarmists must be triggered into a frenzy of dis-belief seeing GM's claim of going all electric....and now this.

It's good news for the vast majority who can't afford EVs and need some affordable transportation. But as others have said, they probably won't be able to make enough of them....Hell, can they make enough of any model, EV or ICE?
Agreed. Even Chevrolet, with all of the EV talk, knew that they could not survive without ICE vehicles. EVs cannot replace the efficiency and ease of operation of ICE. I don't think ICE will ever have a replacement; If it does it won't be in the near future. Think of a century or more.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #18
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Only reason it can be priced so low is because it’s going to be made in Korea and brought here for sale. Buicks aren’t made here and some have window stickers showing 2% North American part content.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:45 PM   #19
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I understand the reason for the price point, entry level, blah blah blah. But why not a performance version? For instance Hyundai Kona N. 2.0l turbo 4. There’s literally nothing about chevy’s midsize-compact suv lineup that is exciting.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:17 PM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I understand the reason for the price point, entry level, blah blah blah. But why not a performance version? For instance Hyundai Kona N. 2.0l turbo 4. There’s literally nothing about chevy’s midsize-compact suv lineup that is exciting.

Because the target market for these cars don't care about performance. They care about price, fuel economy, and family hauling capabilities.

Hyundai builds things like the Kona N because they're trying to draw attention to themselves. Despite how well they've been performing recently their sales figures are still far below GM or Ford or Toyota. Everyone loves reading about performance models and ogling over them in showrooms. But I'd be willing to bet the production and sales figures for models like the Kona N are absolutely minuscule compared to the production and sales figures for normal family grocery getting models.

The other issue (and this is why enthusiasts should never be allowed to have full control over product development, they never think about this) is if GM built a low volume performance model of Trax, those development costs aren't free. A big reason why Trax comes in at such a low price point is because GM is using a carryover engine and transmission from existing products and didn't bother engineering the AWD system for the US market. If GM decided to put a bigger engine in, more modern transmission, performance AWD, it would drive up development/assembly costs which translates into a higher sticker price for all models, not just a theoretical Trax SS.

Now before observant folks bring this point up, yes, Trax is actually a rebadged Chinese-market Chevrolet Seeker which does offer AWD and a bigger, more powerful engine. Seeker's drivetrain probably doesn't meet US emissions standards or GM deemed it too expensive to certify for the price point they want Trax at.

And for that matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Ugh. Engine is so underwhelming. It’s basically the 1.4 turbo from a sonic. A bit more torque but won’t be noticeable with the bigger size.

According to several sources this Trax is actually faster than the outgoing model despite the bigger size.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:13 PM   #21
PoorMansCamaro

AWD would be nice in an SUV/CUV, but I’m not really talking about that. Don’t need it to be a beast. But higher output engine would be nice. As you guys stated before, they probably won’t be able to make enough of these. So I doubt they would have a hard time selling a performance model.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:16 PM   #22
PoorMansCamaro

I believe China will have a new tracker with 180 something hp and 180 something tq
Old 10-14-2022, 06:51 PM   #23
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
According to several sources this Trax is actually faster than the outgoing model despite the bigger size.
Absolutely shocking. The previous trax, I've seen melted butter run faster
Old 10-14-2022, 10:55 PM   #24
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Absolutely shocking. The previous trax, I've seen melted butter run faster

It won't set any track records but it's definitely an improvement.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #25
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Based on the specs, this thing is about the same size as the early 2000's Subaru Outback, which I currently own. In a couple years I'm going to be looking at replacing my Subaru so if GM adds an AWD option to this by then, I may have found my next vehicle. Much better fit as a DD for me then the Rogue or the Tucson that I've been thinking about, really don't need something as big or as pricey as them.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #26
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Based on the specs, this thing is about the same size as the early 2000's Subaru Outback, which I currently own. In a couple years I'm going to be looking at replacing my Subaru so if GM adds an AWD option to this by then, I may have found my next vehicle. Much better fit as a DD for me then the Rogue or the Tucson that I've been thinking about, really don't need something as big or as pricey as them.

I've been thinking that minus the AWD aspect, this thing is basically Chevrolet's Outback. Lifted wagon sort of deal.
Old 10-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #27

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
America needs a new VW type of economy vehicle. Even the up-level trims are reasonably priced. A gutless wonder for sure, but a great idea. I hope it sells like hotcakes, just like the vw bugs did.

If the mileage city/highway (and range...lol) turn out to be excellent, definitely a home run on Chevy's part.

Still sort of shocked they came out with something like this. It tamps down the "being forced into an EV" argument, at least for a while...lol. That's a good thing.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:02 PM   #28
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
I can't help think how much better would a manual Imprezza Outback be if it had a V6 and was rwd/awd.

This Trax looks nice for someone with an under-employed wife. I think it'll do well. It's just not entry level enough for a guy with an under-employed/potential-deadbeat girlfriend
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote