Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-19-2022, 01:14 PM   #1
SpecialPurpose_1LE

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Angry Dealership service frustration: 2SS 1LE

Hello Everyone,

I was doing an oil change on my 2SS 1LE this weekend in preparation for autocross, and came to find a nightmare. To preface, I am a very adamant do-your own service or have a reputable shop do it not only for the cost savings, but the peace of mind knowing that the service is being done right. Now, into what happened...

When I purchased the car in March I was still in college, away from my home-state and the dealer mentioned that I receive 1 free oil change with the purchase of the vehicle. I figured perfect, even though I am against going to dealers for service, I might as well just have them do the first change after break-in at 1000 miles, then perform the rest myself after that. What could really go wrong at the dealer for 1 oil change?

Come to find out I get my car up on jack stands Saturday, and immediately see the underbody of the car dented in 2 places from improper placement of the lift (seems like a common issue amongst dealers, the spots are near the front of the car where there are 2 dimple died holes close to the jacking points). Although I was initially upset, I knew it was a common issue and that it was non-structural damage, so I wasn't too frustrated all things considered. Moving onto the oil change, after removing the drain plug I find that the plug was completely cross threaded in the oil pan. I figured oh well, as long as I can clean up the threads with a tap I should be fine since I was installing a Stahlbus Drain valve. Grabbed a tap to clean up the threads, and went fairly smooth, then went to torque down the Stahlbus to spec and *snap*... drain valve snapped in half, and out came the drain valve AND a Heli-Coil thread insert. After inspecting everything that happened, looks like on the first oil change the service tech cross threaded the original drain plug, drilled it out and re-tapped to get a Heli-Coil insert in, THEN cross-threaded the new hole while putting the Heli-Coil in, and to top it off, used the same factory drain plug that was already cross threaded back in the Heli-Coil. Definitely beyond frustrated right now, as the car has been on jack stands this whole weekend as I decide what to do.

Service tech also must've been the hulk as that is the first time I have ever had to use a breaker bar on a filter wrench to remove an oil filter LOL.
SpecialPurpose_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Damn I’d be pissed if that ever happened to my car. I had my free oil change recently and I watched the tech while he did his thing like a hawk. Luckily my dealer backed up the car on a lift so they didn’t use the pinch welds but I’d never let anyone at that dealer touch my car ever again.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:28 PM   #3
PostalLDMC

Drives: 2022 2LT RS Convertible
Don't feel bad at my oil chance I explained it to the tech. So, I made it very clear how and why. They understood and used the truck ramp that goes under the wheel. Then to rotate the tires they used the truck lift. I'm glad, I read it on the Forum about the pick welds. This was done by my dealer close to me not 50 miles away where I bought the car. Out here in farming country they don't see Camaro convertibles. In fact, I use this Forum when I have any questions.
PostalLDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:31 PM   #4
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
OP That guy shouldn't work on cars.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:36 PM   #5
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Hulk Smash!!!

I used the dealer for a first oil change on my 2013 SS 1LE. The tech parked when done and pulled nose first into a spot and scrapped up the front splitter on a curb. I then got home and noticed oil dripping on the garage floor. Brought it back right away to find out the tech left the old oil filter gasket on and screwed the new filter on top creating a slow leak from the poor seal.

I bought some Race Ramps and do it myself from now on.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:44 PM   #6
2k2ss

Drives: 2002ss
Dealer lifted my car wrong right off the delivery truck!
2k2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #7
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
The person doing oil changes is always the lowest ranking turd in the service Department but there's little excuse for what they do. People think its the dealer they know my car better than anyone and then this happens.

Im really baffled at what they did to the oil pan!!!!
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:11 PM   #8
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
2 years ago I had tech put only 6 quarts in my SS. Guess he thought it was a V6 cause " that's all we see".

Needless to say after a very bad service review they were bought out a couple months later
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #9
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
This is where the dealer lifted the car after delivery to install the SS package brake deflector and rotor shield.

I'm at 270 miles and haven't gotten under it since that day. They offer two free oil changes, maybe I should just ask for the materials and DIY like I do everything else. They service both Camaros and Corvettes and have for a long time. But you never know who they'll send under the car that day. I suppose I can just ask to not let the new guy do it.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:04 PM   #10
SpecialPurpose_1LE

All of your guys' responses are right on, its just a tough situation. I've always had such horrible service at dealerships which is why I do my absolute best to avoid it, just thought I could get away with it 1 time while I was tied up with no tools or garage at college.

I've been sitting at work thinking what I should do about it all day. I would hate to have it towed back to the dealer because if they can't change the oil how could I trust them to replace the oil pan correctly under warranty... But having them pay me for another shop/myself to do it is a longshot that'll never happen. Doesn't help that you also nearly have to pull the motor to do an oil pan swap on these cars either. I'm thinking the best option for now might be to drill and tap it the correct way and see how that works. I would be worried about Autocross/Track use after doing that though.

If any of you guys have any connections at Chevy regarding warranty work it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:07 PM   #11
SpecialPurpose_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post
2 years ago I had tech put only 6 quarts in my SS. Guess he thought it was a V6 cause " that's all we see".

Needless to say after a very bad service review they were bought out a couple months later
My father took his 2008 F150 to a Ford dealer for an oil change a couple years ago while in the midst of a road trip, the dealer only put 2 Quarts in his 5.4 3v V8. I was surprised it took 150 miles for it to blow. Thankfully Ford covered it but it was still horrible to have the truck out of commission for nearly 4 months.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #12
SpecialPurpose_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Hulk Smash!!!

I used the dealer for a first oil change on my 2013 SS 1LE. The tech parked when done and pulled nose first into a spot and scrapped up the front splitter on a curb. I then got home and noticed oil dripping on the garage floor. Brought it back right away to find out the tech left the old oil filter gasket on and screwed the new filter on top creating a slow leak from the poor seal.

I bought some Race Ramps and do it myself from now on.
That's gotta be painful to watch! I feel for you!

I know this is off topic but I see you have a CT4-V Blackwing now. How do you like it compared to your previous ZL1? I've been tossing around the idea of getting a used CT4-V Blackwing or CT5-V Blackwing in a couple years to daily and turning the SS 1LE into a weekend/track car.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:25 PM   #13
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialPurpose_1LE View Post
All of your guys' responses are right on, its just a tough situation. I've always had such horrible service at dealerships which is why I do my absolute best to avoid it, just thought I could get away with it 1 time while I was tied up with no tools or garage at college.

I've been sitting at work thinking what I should do about it all day. I would hate to have it towed back to the dealer because if they can't change the oil how could I trust them to replace the oil pan correctly under warranty... But having them pay me for another shop/myself to do it is a longshot that'll never happen. Doesn't help that you also nearly have to pull the motor to do an oil pan swap on these cars either. I'm thinking the best option for now might be to drill and tap it the correct way and see how that works. I would be worried about Autocross/Track use after doing that though.

If any of you guys have any connections at Chevy regarding warranty work it would be greatly appreciated.
You have a helluva problem in your hands. What they did, they should correct by replacing the pan. You get into a finger-pointing match tho, proving you didn't do it yourself... and you may likely lose.

Your best option is to go back and talk to the actual tech, and get them to admit what they did without them realizing the scope of that f-up. You do that by being calm and inquisitive, simply noting that you saw a helicoil repair and you were curious if you should change the plug to one that is better suited to helicoils, or some bullshit. Don't mention the current status. Once they admit what they did, without realizing the current status, you thank that tech then talk to the service manager and schedule their warranty replacement of your pan.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:33 PM   #14
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialPurpose_1LE View Post
Moving onto the oil change, after removing the drain plug I find that the plug was completely cross threaded in the oil pan.
If we had $5 for every cross-threaded oil pan nut, hell we could own our own service department. I don't know why this is done so much, they must just hook up an impact wrench to it and UGGA it till it stops. So damn common.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote