Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #1
Yaz8

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS
High Idle (winding) after oil change?

Happy Thanksgiving,

Just got my second Oil change at 6,500, first was at 1,500. I noticed right away that it sounded like a slight winding sound when I gave it gas, and when I let off it's the most obvious and seems to stay idling higher that normal. Sounds like it's slowly letting off the gas when I'm already off it.
It"s an Automatic (22 SS). It's confusing and sometimes feels like it's the NPP exhaust doing it. It's playing tricks in my head, but definitely a different feel than before the oil change.
Anyone experience this, or have an idea what the problem is before I call the dealership where I got the oil change?

Thank you, Phil
Yaz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:15 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would check the oil level to see if they put in enough oil(10 quarts) first and then check around under the hood to see if something was unplugged, etc. An oil change in a SS isn’t rocket science. When I used to change the oil in my 2016 2SS if I remember correctly that it would have a winding sound and the idle was slightly higher. Of course with the new oil the oil pressure was higher too but came down. My 2016 was a 6 speed whereas you have the A10 but shouldn’t be any difference in the running of the engine.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Like was said, first thing immediately check the oil level. Is your oil pressure "normal", I can't see how changing the oil would make your car react differently with idle and engine decel... I've changed the oil in my 2020 2SS A10 4 times already and have never experienced what you described.
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:19 PM   #4
Yaz8

I was able to get in today at the dealership. A young kid was the technician & took a ride with me. After takeoff the rpm didn't come down after taking my foot off the gas with that slight winding sound. He noticed right away and said it sounds like it's not shifting.

After an hour waiting the girl who runs appointments came out and got me. The kid said he checked all the fluids and everything is normal. It's normal it's idling high and how the car runs in colder weather. I said no right away and said he's wrong. "I drove the car in here to get an oil change with it running perfect, and when I left it ran with a high idle after I let off the gas, that's not normal"

She didn't hesitate and asked if I could wait until Monday to have another tech look at it. So I have an afternoon apt. Monday.

I made my Wife take a ride with me because she drives the car too. I didn't tell her what to look for and she noticed as soon as we pulled out of the driveway after I let off the gas. It's very obvious. I wish I was closer to JamesMartin where I bought the car to go for service but I'm 900 miles way.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:28 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz8 View Post
I was able to get in today at the dealership. A young kid was the technician & took a ride with me. After takeoff the rpm didn't come down after taking my foot off the gas with that slight winding sound. He noticed right away and said it sounds like it's not shifting.

After an hour waiting the girl who runs appointments came out and got me. The kid said he checked all the fluids and everything is normal. It's normal it's idling high and how the car runs in colder weather. I said no right away and said he's wrong. "I drove the car in here to get an oil change with it running perfect, and when I left it ran with a high idle after I let off the gas, that's not normal"

She didn't hesitate and asked if I could wait until Monday to have another tech look at it. So I have an afternoon apt. Monday.

I made my Wife take a ride with me because she drives the car too. I didn't tell her what to look for and she noticed as soon as we pulled out of the driveway after I let off the gas. It's very obvious. I wish I was closer to JamesMartin where I bought the car to go for service but I'm 900 miles way.
What RPM is it idling at?
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 06:39 PM   #6
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:

High idle is indicative of some kind of problem. Could be a vacuum leak or something was unplugged or broken by accident. Check to see if maybe your intake couplers, clamps, etc. are tight, fully seated etc. Check to make sure that your oil cap is fully seated and that it still has the O-ring on it.

Likely only a matter of time before you get a CEL.

I would plug in a scanner and check for some codes. Likely you have some pending codes that have not yet caused the CEL to come on.

On my 2017, after I had installed a Rotofab intake, it was having a high idle issue. Turned out that the clamps that came with the intake were not sealing well and I had a vacuum leak. I upgraded the clamps and that solved the problem.

It's likely something simple but was definitely screwed up by the stealership.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
Yaz8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
What RPM is it idling at?
Going slow after taking off and letting off the gas even around 15-25mph it's holding at 2000-2500 and very slowly coming down. Sometimes drops down but usually hovers in that area.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I'm guessing the dealer did a "Complimentary 50 point F'-up-your-car" inspection along with the oil change. I would check the intake and air filter region to see if anything is awry.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:48 PM   #9
Yaz8

Thank you guys for the input, I really appreciate it. I checked the oil cap and it was barely not clicked all the way secure. Checked the o-ring and that was fine. looked for anything else loose and found nothing. It was late at night so I didn't start it again until my appointment Monday. And holy shit the problem was gone!?
I still went to my appointment and they seemed surprised the oil cap was the problem. We went for a ride, hooked the car up to the computer & everything checked out fine.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:05 PM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Thank you guys for the input, I really appreciate it. I checked the oil cap and it was barely not clicked all the way secure. Checked the o-ring and that was fine. looked for anything else loose and found nothing. It was late at night so I didn't start it again until my appointment Monday. And holy shit the problem was gone!?
I still went to my appointment and they seemed surprised the oil cap was the problem. We went for a ride, hooked the car up to the computer & everything checked out fine.
So, here's something you could do to try a test... Remove the oil cap and reinstall it, but don't tighten it. See what happens. If you get the problem to return and you can remedy it / cause it a couple of times, then you know that's the issue.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 06:40 PM   #11
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Going slow after taking off and letting off the gas even around 15-25mph it's holding at 2000-2500 and very slowly coming down. Sometimes drops down but usually hovers in that area.
This is nearly always an "air leak" or vacuum leak, whatever you wanna call it. The car is sucking air in thru where it should not, resulting in too lean an air/gas mixture and a "hanging" RPM. It just hasn't reached a point to kick off a CEL yet.

I agree, dealers or franchise retail oil change store fronts that do a "complimentary" check list of potential problems are often their own (and by inheritance), our problems to troubleshoot.

That's why whenever a maintenance job can be done at home, it gets done at home, but as I get older, that list of at home jobs does get shorter.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:37 AM   #12
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Yup, it was the oil cap. If it is not on tight, it is a vacuum leak.

Of course they were surprised that the oil cap was the issue. Most service technicians who do oil changes at dealerships are the noobs who don't have any experience or know much or are just plain idiots.

And this is why you should never take your car to any dealership. Should only be a last resort. And if you do, you need to check to make sure everything is good on the car afterwards.

10 years ago I had a Chevy Cruze. Had an oil change at the dealership. Picked up the car, stopped a couple of blocks away just to check under the hood. Oil cap was not put back on and there was oil everywhere that had sprayed out the hole (turbo engine so crank case gets pressurized).
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:18 PM   #13
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
If the Crankcase is Pressurized in your Turbo Engine, You have some MAJOR PROBLEMS!!! Just sayin!!!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:38 PM   #14
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Make sure the right filter was used!!
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote