Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-24-2022, 07:57 AM   #15
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfield_trash21 View Post
Same thing with the hoses on mine too. He actually had a belt rub a hole through a intercooler hose while he was on the way to the dyno with it and had to turn around and go back to the shop. I told him before I went offshore that when I came back home in 2 weeks, I was coming to get my car whether it was running or not. The day I flew in, I told him I was on my way to Houston but I was actually about 2 hours ahead of where I told him I was on the road. He told me he had an appointment at the dyno for 2PM but the Onstar app showed my car hasn't moved from his shop since noon. We pulled up at his shop about 3PM and parked in the lot across from his shop and sat there. I messaged him several times asking how the dyno session was going but never got a reply. We watched them trying to hurry up and throw everything together once the UPS truck dropped off the lower pulley they had been waiting on, another lie I caught him in. When he finally did reply, he said he was half way to the dyno and the meth controller stopped working so he had to run back to the shop to fix it. Lie #2 he was caught in because I had pics and videos of them frantically throwing s**t together to try to get the car to Powerfab before they closed and the Onstar app showed the car had never left his shop. He gets the pulley on after 4PM and leaves out for Powerfab without the hood on the car or, which I found later, the big Y brace that goes under the front structure of the car. We follow him there and he tries to get the car on the dyno but the belt has cut the intercooler hose and the meth controller won't activate because he tied it in to a place on the front of the supercharger that doesn't give a boost reference, only vacuum. I told him multiple times that there was no boost reference source on the front of the supercharger on '22 ZL1's but as usual he doesn't listen because he thinks he's the absolute guru of anything LT related. I found this out when I was trying to hook up my boost gauge and all I could get off the front of the blower was vacuum. Instead of getting the proper adapter for the MAP sensor on the rear of the blower that gives you a boost source, he decided to butcher a MAP sensor from another vehicle and use it for that absolute work of art in the pics I posted. I guess he didn't realize that I have tracked EVERY move that car has made since I dropped it off to him and have documented every message, picture, video, lie, etc, etc. When I finally get the car home, I'm going to take detailed pics of everything he f**ked up and screenshots of all the copy & paste tuning so nobody else has to go through this bulls**t with this guy in this shop or any other shop he opens or works at. It was an expensive lesson to learn but if it helps at least one person to not get f**ked out of their hard earned money by this con-artist then it will be worth it.
For sure! I try to do the same and tell people to run. If you have the means and knowledge then he'll ya to getting it done yourself, alot in satisfaction working on your own car. You could always hit up Granger if you don't have the time, he's a good dude and an OCD mechanic. He will give you a fair price especially knowing you had to deal with Spencer. His engine room is like an operating room. Either way if you need help hit me up, I have the service manual if you need, Although it's 2018
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #16
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Sure makes the issue I had seem small. I had a well known pro shop install the MODs on my car and tune it. The install (3years ago) has been flawless but the tune sucked. I had to take it to another better shop for Kooks CATs and re-tune. The first shop had done my C5 corvette with most of the same MODs and tune and it was great. Another reason I trusted them. Long story is it has been flawless ever since.

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:52 PM   #17
Lex2021

Drives: 2021 SS
I had a similar experience with a shop in Virginia who I then brought to court, maybe 20 years ago. They had my car for a year. Nightmare.

Taught me to never trust anyone to touch my cars. I do it all myself now.

If you don't have everything in writing almost like a contract, the courts offer almost no relief.

And never leave your car with distant shop, that way if you have take them to court, at least the court is local to you.

I'm sorry bro. I know how you feel.
Lex2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:17 PM   #18
Oilfield_trash21

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2021 View Post
I had a similar experience with a shop in Virginia who I then brought to court, maybe 20 years ago. They had my car for a year. Nightmare.

Taught me to never trust anyone to touch my cars. I do it all myself now.

If you don't have everything in writing almost like a contract, the courts offer almost no relief.

And never leave your car with distant shop, that way if you have take them to court, at least the court is local to you.

I'm sorry bro. I know how you feel.
I was limited on options for shops near me. The closest was 4 hrs away. From now own I will be doing my own wrench work and just have someone else do the tuning. After looking at just the labor costs, I could've put a Maggie on it and called it a day.
Oilfield_trash21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #19
Lex2021

Its a shame that we have to be so hesitant to trust a shop to do this type of work because not everyone has the time or capability to do it.

That being said, the better advice from me should have been, do some background research, check BBB, check for lawsuits, ask on forums etc.

Frankly any time you trust someone to even TUNE your car, they can blow it up and youre on the hook as they usually make you sign a disclaimer. There is so much plausible deniability that your better off just sticking with the car as it was designed...or be prepared for unpleasant surprises.

At least when you do the work yourself you can only blame yourself.

Keep us posted my friend.

Last edited by Lex2021; 11-29-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:20 PM   #20
WillyZ83

Drives: 18 zl1 garnet red
He tuned my old SS and was never happy with the car's performance, that's why I took my car to JROD Speed shop this time around and way better results and much better shop. Sorry that happened to you man.

2022 zl1 740hp / 730tq stolen
2018 zl1 Maggie - 2" headers - flex fuel - lowside fuel ssytem - +30 injectors - cordes ice tank - spl rear linkage arms
WillyZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #21
Oilfield_trash21

I finally got my car home and started inspecting everything. I got it on my lift and right off the bat I found the passenger side felt cover under the car wet and stained from gas. Every fitting on the DSX aux pump kit was leaking. The power wire to the pump was ran under the pinch weld, right near the lift pad, just waiting to get smashed. Then I find that only 1, yes you read that correctly, only ONE motor mount bolt out the the 8 holding the BMR mounts to the block were tight. 1 bolt was half way backed out and 1 was totally missing. The 2 nuts that hole the mounts to the car were also loose. I probably got 2 good rounds on the nuts before the urethane bushings even began to bulge. Un-****ing-believable. The bolt heads had rubbed the powdercoat off the mounts from the movement of the engine everytime it torqued up. The meth injection pump in the trunk wasn't even bolted down. They popped out a plug in the trunk to run the meth line and made no attempt to even seal the hole with anything. The power & ground wires to the pump were twisted together and taped up, the tape on one of the connections came off in my hand when I picked the wire up to take a pic of it. The power wire going to the meth controller was smashed between the truck floor cover and the body of the car. You could see bare wire and it's a miracle it hasn't shorted out and blew which ever fuse they had it wired in to at the trunk fuse box. The meth line going to the engine was also ran under the pinch weld. The meth controller was loose in the guage pod. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the controller stopped working 5 mins after I left his "shop", and I use that term loosely. Evidently, one of the hoses going to the expansion tank for the blower coolant loop had gotten in to a belt and had a large gash in it. Instead of replacing it, they just zip-tied it up and left it as is. The beauty panel over the radiator was obviously used as a tool box as you can see from the scratches and the gouges on the Chevy Performance badge and panel were more than likely caused by the engine hitting it during removal or installation. At this point I decided to tear down the engine to the block and re-do it to make sure everything was done right. 3 bolts holding the blower to the heads were hand tight, like I literally removed them with my hand. The wrong blower belt was installed and the tensioner was extended all the way out and the belt was still loose. When I removed the blower, there was rubber from the belt all under the throttle body from the belt slipping. No kind of fender/body protection was ever used on my car while it was there. Spencer insisted that his detailer clean up the car before I left with it and I agreed because the car looked like absolute ass. The detailer called me over while he was washing it and asked if my car had a ceramic coating on it and I told him it did. He sprayed water on the the drivers side front fender and showed me that the coating had been rubbed off due to clothing from whoever had worked on it. This is just some of the stuff I have found so far. Stay tuned for more.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:34 AM   #22
Oilfield_trash21

I'll have to resize the rest of the pics and try to upload them tonight, it wasn't allowing me to because they were too big. You don't want to miss these, they show the absolute quality of work coming out of that s**t shack of a shop.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2022, 09:43 AM   #23
Lex2021

Dude youre giving me flashbacks!
Old 12-15-2022, 10:02 AM   #24
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
I would be in jail for whopping some ones a**:(
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:37 AM   #25
Oilfield_trash21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
I would be in jail for whopping some ones a**:(
I was finally able to catch up with the little crackhead and he was going to meet me at his shop so I could get my stock parts back. He shows up with a pistol on his hip. Imagine having to do that because you have such a guilty conscience from screwing people over and not knowing which one of your previous customers might be the one that beats the absolute f**k out of you for what you did to their car.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #26
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Sheesh!!! :*(
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #27
Lex2021

omg...a pistol! Jesus. That's sad.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:53 AM   #28
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Oilfield , I'm glad your car is home, thank you for sharing , that is horrible, but the car is back with you and half to be positive and move forward. I don't want to dwell on the negative, so moving forward have a good time working on you Car . The satisfaction you will feel from working and doing the upgrades yourself will be gratifying . Take Care and keep us posted