Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-29-2021, 09:37 AM   #29
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
With what you've listed your still going to be over 20k. Prays worked over heads can get get to the same price as a set of Cid heads. At least with the extra 90lbs on the nose you'll probably make more that 700 and won't have any drivability issues and can adjust it via a pulley or boost controller. Another thing to consider is the fuel system. Would you also have to do high side work and low side? I had to do a dsx low side on mine because pressure was dropping. So wouldn't the bigger 454 need more fuel which drives up cost even more?
A naturally aspirated mild 454 would demand less fuel than a blown LT1. Remember, forced induction LT1s need to be tuned much richer than naturally aspirated LT1s. A mild 454 could probably get a away with a full LT4 fuel system.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #30
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
A naturally aspirated mild 454 would demand less fuel than a blown LT1. Remember, forced induction LT1s need to be tuned much richer than naturally aspirated LT1s. A mild 454 could probably get a away with a full LT4 fuel system.
I get that so thats what another 1500 added to the price. I'm thinking that people don't do the 454 because of the cost vs actual performance you get is not worth it vs the alternatives. There are probably some other factors just not enough people go through the trouble. Weapon x is the only place that I've found that even offers a 454 on their site everybody seems to stop at the 427. I'm sure with enough money any shop would build what you want like the ARS car but I don't even want to think about how much that would probably cost.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #31
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Not really wanting to open another motor. I had a rough year a while back and had to do two full rebuilds from top to bottom. Honestly tired of spending money on this car as I'm wanting to spend more time on my other hobbies. If something major was to happen I'd probably put it back to a stock long block and sell it and move to a different platform.
Having done 400 to 455 rotating assembly swaps in real Pontiacs, the extra stroke and cubes is very nice even in a mild or equalized cam. In this platform it’s a crazy premium tho as you mentioned it’s tempting to get the bigger cam to cash in. I’ve been there on a few occasions with a too routty of a cam and needed to go back in more than once. Shame it’s so big of a job on this car. 4th gens and Abodys would have the motor out on Friday and driving it to work Monday, doubtful on this one.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #32
Puddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Having done 400 to 455 rotating assembly swaps in real Pontiacs, the extra stroke and cubes is very nice even in a mild or equalized cam. In this platform it’s a crazy premium tho as you mentioned it’s tempting to get the bigger cam to cash in. I’ve been there on a few occasions with a too routty of a cam and needed to go back in more than once. Shame it’s so big of a job on this car. 4th gens and Abodys would have the motor out on Friday and driving it to work Monday, doubtful on this one.
Yep too much money and I don't have the time or a lift big enough to do it myself. May not be on this platform for too much longer anyways as I stopped at my local Toyota dealership and was told they have a Supra coming to their lot thats not spoken for so this car might be getting a for sale sticker slapped across if I enjoy the test drive too much.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #33
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Yep too much money and I don't have the time or a lift big enough to do it myself. May not be on this platform for too much longer anyways as I stopped at my local Toyota dealership and was told they have a Supra coming to their lot thats not spoken for so this car might be getting a for sale sticker slapped across if I enjoy the test drive too much.
Those are fast as sh*t, if you are cool with the automatic, have at it. For rwd, i need an M6, slow as it may be, still always fun. If I had to have an auto drag car, it would be an RS3 with the works, 1000 hp awd fun on the straights.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:18 PM   #34
Puddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Those are fast as sh*t, if you are cool with the automatic, have at it. For rwd, i need an M6, slow as it may be, still always fun. If I had to have an auto drag car, it would be an RS3 with the works, 1000 hp awd fun on the straights.
I'm absolutely fine with an automatic never even driven a stick car. It would be my daily driver just like my Camaro is now so it wouldn't matter what I got it would be an automatic.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:54 AM   #35
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
True but it kinda negates the point of doing a stroker motor if your just going to put a mild cam in. If you want mild why not stay stock cubes?
Because a larger engine with a mild cam will drive better and offer better reliability then a small engine with a large cam...large camshafts often require a lot of attention to detail in the valvetrain to offer decent longevity. Larger cams shift the power curve to the right, you have to make the low end up with compression. A lot of compression can require more octane in order to run optimal timing. It's all a balancing act really...stroker engines usually have a very flat power curve and make power everywhere which makes for a fun street car...similar to putting a PD supercharger on a stock displacement engine. I don't however recommend stroker engines with PD superchargers.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #36
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Because a larger engine with a mild cam will drive better and offer better reliability then a small engine with a large cam...large camshafts often require a lot of attention to detail in the valvetrain to offer decent longevity. Larger cams shift the power curve to the right, you have to make the low end up with compression. A lot of compression can require more octane in order to run optimal timing. It's all a balancing act really...stroker engines usually have a very flat power curve and make power everywhere which makes for a fun street car...similar to putting a PD supercharger on a stock displacement engine. I don't however recommend stroker engines with PD superchargers.
I totally agree with King, its just not necessary for a large displacement on any blower. Big cubes and NOS is what you see in Pro Mod and smaller cubes for Procharger or Turbo's and PD blowers. Obviously these are way different then what we do but same concept.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:25 PM   #37
Puddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Curious as to why no pd blower on a stroker motor. Is it because all the torque generated from the motor already so traction becomes the issue or is there actual problems that pd blowers exhibit with the larger cubed motors?