Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Major problem with E-brake

2012 camaro ss m6 - i am moving cross country and had it shipped. my buddy picked it up today and the person who shipped it broke the e-brake. as my buddy describes it as soon as he starts driving the brake slams to the upright position. he has to hold it down as he drives or else the car will beep at him telling him it is engaged (even though it isn't). worst part is it rolls forwards and backward. if he puts it in first and turns it off, it still rolls (it shouldn't?).

i'm not there to diagnose it but what does this sound like to you?
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
um. well the car cannot be moving forward and backwards with it off in first and the clutch released, if that's the case your buddy wouldn't be able to drive the car at all. As for the Ebrake itself probably broke the cable or something you'd have to look. if cable is in tact then pull the handle to make sure its moving the brakes, or not its in the handle assembly, if it moves the cable its in the parking brakes.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
shipping company broke it, eh? Sounds like a 'my dog ate my homework' story to me.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
2012 camaro ss m6 - i am moving cross country and had it shipped. my buddy picked it up today and the person who shipped it broke the e-brake. as my buddy describes it as soon as he starts driving the brake slams to the upright position. he has to hold it down as he drives or else the car will beep at him telling him it is engaged (even though it isn't). worst part is it rolls forwards and backward. if he puts it in first and turns it off, it still rolls (it shouldn't?).

i'm not there to diagnose it but what does this sound like to you?
Sounds to me like the e-brake is broken as well. As far as the car creeping when turned off and in first, that can be norm al depending on how much of a steep incline its on. The only other thing I would check is for is low compression. This will cause the car to roll forward when turned off in gear
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:08 PM   #5
kiteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
shipping company broke it, eh? Sounds like a 'my dog ate my homework' story to me.
heh - well the transport driver called me and said "sorry i broke your e brake" so i know it was him and not my buddy.

as for the other suggestions i will give that a try. he was able to drive it but said as soon as he started to drive the brake itself would automatically pop up and the car would chime at him saying the brake was on, but there was no resistance so he didn't think it was actually on. i don't understand why the lever would automatically go to the upright position--if the cable was broken i would think there would be so much slack in the line nothing at all would happen.

well the shipping company says they will not pay for it because they don't cover "brake malfunctioning" and i think that's garbage. needless to say, does anyone know how much this type of thing may cost to fix?
Old 05-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
CPCNY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, VR ext/Blk Int
Does the handle rachet and release button work? Sounds like the racheting mechanism my have failed.
CPCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #7
kiteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCNY View Post
Does the handle rachet and release button work? Sounds like the racheting mechanism my have failed.
my buddy says "it automatically pops partially up unless you press the button and push it down, if you pull it up it goes way too far up but does rachet/click and it does stay there unless you press the button and release it. but in none of these instances does it seem to actually be engaging the parking brake itself"

the automatic popping up is what cues the error light/chime that the brake is engaged while he's driving.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
heh - well the transport driver called me and said "sorry i broke your e brake" so i know it was him and not my buddy.

as for the other suggestions i will give that a try. he was able to drive it but said as soon as he started to drive the brake itself would automatically pop up and the car would chime at him saying the brake was on, but there was no resistance so he didn't think it was actually on. i don't understand why the lever would automatically go to the upright position--if the cable was broken i would think there would be so much slack in the line nothing at all would happen.

well the shipping company says they will not pay for it because they don't cover "brake malfunctioning" and i think that's garbage. needless to say, does anyone know how much this type of thing may cost to fix?
sounds like an attorney is needed here. It wan't broken when they shipped your car, but it is now and he admitted to breaking it, that's not a "brake malfunction"..
Old 05-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #9
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:

When my e-brake cable under the car broke, they had to order and replace the entire assembly. Total cost was just under 500 bucks.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #10
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
"E brake" = from experience with my Gen 5 I must say that the console mounted lever operated brake is not an emergency brake. Hell, it won't even hold the car on much of a grade!

I've had motorcycles with more brake shoe than these "E brakes" on the Camaros have?
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:09 AM   #11
CPCNY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, VR ext/Blk Int
Did you ever look under the console to see the handle mounting?
CPCNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #12
kiteman

I get it the cable may be broken, but how does that explain it being in gear and still rolling? Or even how it is automatically popping itself up? That seems more like a spring issue to me...
Old 05-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
kiteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCNY View Post
Did you ever look under the console to see the handle mounting?
I'm still in another state. I'll see it tomorrow. How do I easily get to under the console? I should know, I completely redid my stereo a few years ago...but I've drank since then, and therefore, forgotten. Lol