Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Awesome vid and and time @ VIR!

So another member here sent me a PM about 2 months ago "Hey wanna go to VIR?" So I told him, Todd, hell why not!

Well Todd is awesome and so is his driving skills! Todd ...CAGE CAGE CAGE FIRE SYSTEM FIRE SYSTEM FIRE SYSTEM

Anyway I have never driven a car on this course and lets just say its a little intimidating! So I took the first day just trying to learn the track and not set any records. Best by end of the day was 2.04. flat. Oh and yeah the kicker was that they would not put me in the advanced group! I was out there with the novice group! The traffic was insane!!! It was dangerous to say the least. An instuctor road in the car with me and moved me to intermediate...lol. That too was scary as closing speeds on upcoming cars was huge. So I bugged them the second day and an instructor/racer road with me and this is the vid. I believe third lap was in the 2.03.xx then the next was 3 seconds faster. He weighs 210ish and sure with him out of the car it might have touched 1 min mark but officially I haven so...Overall had a killer time with Todd and his wife and learn alot on trail braking!

Fastest lap time for me was 2.00.2

Todd chime in and post up some vids!!!

NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
racerx8

Drives: '18 SIM 1LE '16 NRB Z06 '21 C8 Z51
Great video, Nick You were killin' it. Definitely Advanced group. Hammer Time !!!
Glad you had fun, your lines looked great.
racerx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx8 View Post
Great video, Nick You were killin' it. Definitely Advanced group. Hammer Time !!!
Glad you had fun, your lines looked great.
Its so hard to make error free lap.
The 2.00 lap was not mistake free.
Overall happy turning that time with less then 50 laps
Old 10-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #4
hooligan317

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Great video! You were rolling!
hooligan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Great going Nick, I can only imagine the terror u must have caused being in the novice group (given that u r a terror in advanced at MOE)
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #6
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
I can only imagine the terror u must have caused being in the novice group
Green group cruising with their instructor, then looking in their mirrors

...Sounds like, looks like, it was a good time overall though with various forum members in attendance at the event. Jealous!!!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:06 PM   #7
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
Great going Nick, I can only imagine the terror u must have caused being in the novice group (given that u r a terror in advanced at MOE)
Omg! You just had me in tears! Laughing.....

I learned a ton!
Honed on trail braking and braking applications. I feel what i learned will help me at NJMP.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #8
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Hey Nicky!!

So glad we decided to meet up at VIR...it was so good to get to know you and get a chance to run together and learn VIR together...what an awesome track! Lori says Hi too, and she hasn't stopped reminding me that I promised both of you I'd install the cage and fire suppression system over the winter. I know it's needed at these speeds on tracks like RoadAmerica and VIR. Promise!

Been buried with work since we got home, so haven't had a chance to look at PDR videos yet, but will definitely post some up soon! Can't wait to watch them....first time at VIR and now plan to get there at least twice a year. To me its a combination of some of the best of RoadAmerica and Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta all in one circuit. Loved it!!

I did look at the Harry's data and looks like best lap was 2.02.58 and a virtual best of 1.57.01. Top speed on another 2.02 lap was 161.7 in the back straight b4 the roller coaster. Damn what a fun track!

Between lots of traffic (and the lugnut behind the wheel) I couldn't put an actual lap together closer to that 1.57 but what a great reason to be back next year right??

You were FLYING out there, was fun to run together and see you in action. And, for those of you that think Nicky's car sounds good on video, in person it makes Mustangs wet themselves! Simply Badass.

Was also great to meet so many other forum members last weekend....another reason I love this hobby so much....always awesome people! Gary, Travis, Cody, Stephen and others - great to meet you and look forward to seeing you again in 2021! Fun to be with you and run these amazing Camaros together!
Attached Images

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Omg! You just had me in tears! Laughing.....

I learned a ton!
Honed on trail braking and braking applications. I feel what i learned will help me at NJMP.
That's probably the best take-away you can have from your first day on a completely new-to-you track.

Zl1+911 nailed it, and I've only watched you from the observation platform at NJMP.

I don't know if you've had any experience with Chin at NJMP, but either way, I seriously doubt their instructor crew could have expected a first-timer at VIR to be capable of your pace and comfort level in traffic there. In their eyes, you were like the unknown walk-on at some (insert other sport here) tryout, possibly bringing more car than they thought you were ready for (you know they see that from time to time...).

Norm
Old 10-21-2020, 04:44 PM   #10
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Hey Nicky!!

So glad we decided to meet up at VIR...it was so good to get to know you and get a chance to run together and learn VIR together...what an awesome track! Lori says Hi too, and she hasn't stopped reminding me that I promised both of you I'd install the cage and fire suppression system over the winter. I know it's needed at these speeds on tracks like RoadAmerica and VIR. Promise!

Been buried with work since we got home, so haven't had a chance to look at PDR videos yet, but will definitely post some up soon! Can't wait to watch them....first time at VIR and now plan to get there at least twice a year. To me its a combination of some of the best of RoadAmerica and Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta all in one circuit. Loved it!!

I did look at the Harry's data and looks like best lap was 2.02.58 and a virtual best of 1.57.01. Top speed on another 2.02 lap was 161.7 in the back straight b4 the roller coaster. Damn what a fun track!

Between lots of traffic (and the lugnut behind the wheel) I couldn't put an actual lap together closer to that 1.57 but what a great reason to be back next year right??

You were FLYING out there, was fun to run together and see you in action. And, for those of you that think Nicky's car sounds good on video, in person it makes Mustangs wet themselves! Simply Badass.

Was also great to meet so many other forum members last weekend....another reason I love this hobby so much....always awesome people! Gary, Travis, Cody, Stephen and others - great to meet you and look forward to seeing you again in 2021! Fun to be with you and run these amazing Camaros together!

Hi Lori!
Yeah Todd that was sooooooo much fun!
That is what I love about this sport, meeting other people that have the same obsession as I do!

Todd you are going WAY to fast not have those items plus it will make you FASTER!! The cage will tighten up the chassis and then the you will get A LOT more feedback from the suspension.

BTW my offer stand on you and Lori coming out to my shore next summer! Go do some track time @ NJMP and then boating. Oh just you wait to see how I drive a boat! : eyebulge:
Old 10-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #11
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
That's probably the best take-away you can have from your first day on a completely new-to-you track.

Zl1+911 nailed it, and I've only watched you from the observation platform at NJMP.

I don't know if you've had any experience with Chin at NJMP, but either way, I seriously doubt their instructor crew could have expected a first-timer at VIR to be capable of your pace and comfort level in traffic there. In their eyes, you were like the unknown walk-on at some (insert other sport here) tryout, possibly bringing more car than they thought you were ready for (you know they see that from time to time...).

Norm

Thanks Norm!

Yeah Chin only comes to NJMP once a year. This was the first time with them., The instructor said he had a ball!

Norm I am pumped to get to NJMP cause I know that I can go even faster with nealy learn trail braking technique!
Old 10-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
holy shit you getting it man ! you on hoosiers now or ?
Old 10-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #13
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
holy shit you getting it man ! you on hoosiers now or ?
Yeah R.
I know A as 1-1.5 a second faster but getting to know the track was more important.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:27 AM   #14
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Well Nicky.....finally got a chance to look at some PDR videos last night....reminded me of all the reasons I loved learning VIR so much! So glad we met up there to give it a try!

Decided to load up the last session of the weekend....couple of 2.02's in here but couldn't get under 2.....I KNOW we will next time we're back. That's the thing about watching your PDR vids, you see so many opportunities for a better line, later braking, pushing harder, etc. I'll be doing that cleaner lap in my head all winter now!

Hope you get some more track time in yet this season. For me, I'm done driving and ready to start ordering parts and taking some weight out of Razecar.

Take care of yourself and stay in touch!!

https://youtu.be/PNfrmHfTZXo

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote