Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-11-2020, 04:35 AM   #29
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
I finally placed an order from different sources (some were from members here, some from vendors). I ordered Kooks 1 7/8 headers (got lucky with the pricing), Green Cats, AWE resonators, and Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit. Total price= $2,315 (of course, this doesn't include install, dyno tune, or wires & plugs). There are so many opinions on the matter. I believe a few of you have had great success with bargain priced headers, but since I do not install anything myself, it will be a pricey install that I would rather not risk installation twice. Next part is spark plugs and wires. Spark plugs seem easy as most agree that NGK Iridium LTR7IX are one of the Best choices for our cars.
2 questions please:
First- Which wires? I am not going factory because of the added heat from the headers. I'm not planning on MSD's because there are too many mixed reviews for our application. It seems that you either spend a silly amount on Granatelli or buy Taylor..? I like the Taylor with heat boots idea, but there are so many variations of Taylor, I can't seem to find a simple answer on which one.
Second- what's the recommend gap on the spark plugs when going 1 step cooler?

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5

Last edited by TEST DRyVer; 10-11-2020 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Added info
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #30
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
You can get heat sleeves for your factory plug wires and they would be fine Don't believe the hype about this plug wire vs that. I've seen people dyno back to back and lose power with the MSD's. I run a wire from ZZPerformance with no issues. https://www.jegs.com/i/DEI/186/010552/10002/-1
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #31
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
You can get heat sleeves for your factory plug wires and they would be fine Don't believe the hype about this plug wire vs that. I've seen people dyno back to back and lose power with the MSD's. I run a wire from ZZPerformance with no issues. https://www.jegs.com/i/DEI/186/010552/10002/-1
This^^^. I run stock wires with quality plug sleeves and 2 inch ARH headers. Zero issues over 10,000 miles.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #32
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Good choice running the Kooks OP. You can't really beat them. Now the spark plug wires can lead another heated debate lol. The stock plug wires are fine. We've never made extra power with an aftermarket wire. But, the more you remove them the more often you should be replacing them. I can't tell you how many times we end up with misfires because of bad wires that don't seat on the plug properly. They look fine but every couple of times they are removed they become suspect.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:42 AM   #33
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I appreciate the advice and have already been looking at the DEI site for boots and starter heat shield. MSD is out for me. I've read too many negative comments regarding our application (I've read good ones too, but simply don't want the added risk). I have read numerous times about the factory wires being really good for our cars. I think if I'm buying headers, plugs, cats, etc... it's a good time as any to upgrade the factory wires. The main question is what wire would be an UPGRADE instead of a more expensive equivalent or even worse, a downgrade..? I have read very few negative comments on Taylor wires, but they simply have so many that fit our car, I can't seem to find someone that stated exactly which Taylor wires were best for our cars, from personal experience.

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote