Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #1
MeanGreen1LE

Drives: 17 krypton green 1le
H/C/I NA A lil rowdy but enough manners to meet the family.

Looking for thoughts opinions advice on a heads cam intake project for 17 SS 1LE.

Going for obnoxiously fun but not annoying to drive. Fast but not really looking to set any records here. It is definitely not a daily driver. Probably 2k or less per year. I really want to eventually do hpde events,(2-3 a year maybe).

Not into roll racing but need to put my brother in his place. Might even take it to the strip when I’m more ok with breaking stuff and have another fun street car.

Finally started buying parts And tools and so far have tsp headers 1 7/8 off-road (May be giving up power here but better fit and less clanging is worth it. ) Rotofab dry

Also have mast black label heads with their .680 springs hollow intake solid exhaust. (I was hooked by their Labor Day sale 625$ off) ordered.

Wanting to go with Johnson 2110 lifters and tsp roller rockers. Also probably will buy ati under-drive pulley since I’m in there anyways. Lifters are scarce these days it seems.

Pretty sure going in car route and will drop Oil pan and do c5r chain. (Have 2 post lift)

So with all that in addition to wanting reasonable valve-train stability I’m mostly looking for input on camshaft and intake.

I’ve followed pray on here since early 2017 when I ordered my car and wow the progress he’s made with this platform is However being that he is a one man show, (except for his wife) one has to wonder if he has time for these relatively simple builds these days. He’s also heavy into chasing numbers right now and kinda seems rather miserable with the whole thing.

I’ve also been reading posts from some of the more knowledgeable types on here and have become intrigued by the softer ramp rate on cam motion cams. Will this really prolong valve train life and reduce potential for valve float. I’d go with Ted Jannetty for tuning if I went this direction. He seems like he would be super helpful and I think it’s awesome how much enthusiasm he shows on his videos and posts being in the business so long.

Whatever I go with I don’t want to fly cut and want to stay under .650 lift on both .
Intake: Lt2 is all the rage and the performance to $ is awesome! I tend to side with function over form but naked it’s pretty ugly.
Msd is obviously a great choice but the lt2 makes it seem unfairly priced now.
Actually really want to see more info on BTR intake for this platform. I believe tsp also has one as well. If either fit under our hoods and undercut msd I’d be lining up. Holley high ram is great and while I have much respect for the builds that utilize it. I just can’t cut my hood, I think I might die a little inside.
Would go with ported 95 lt5 or katec 103 tb.

Probably shoot for 7k fuel cut and really not interested in replacing rod bolts.

So any advice on the options I listed or other I didn’t would be great. Would love to read thoughts on where I should be cam grind spec wise with what I’m looking for.
Thanks
MeanGreen1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:25 AM   #2
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I just completed my build with Ted so, I can speak knowledgeably on this. JRE's smooth idle cam package is probably what you want to go with. We had a whole debacle with the lifters that you can read about in my thread in this section. My advice is to just be very inquisitive about exactly what parts you're ordering. Their standard lifters for their kits are the LS7 lifters but, you can upgrade to the Johnson 2110 lifters. I'm not sure what pushrod length would be appropriate for those but, Texas Speed (where Jannetty gets their cams from) would probably be able to tell you what they recommend. Or, you could just get an adjustable pushrod and measure preload once you get the lifters installed and then order the pushrods. That would probably be the most foolproof method. The smooth idle cam though sounds like exactly what you're looking for. It does give a little bit of extra meanness at idle but, it's close to the stock sound. Not obnoxious at all. But, when you give it some gas, boy does it sound angry. It was just the sound I was looking for. I don't see e85 anywhere in your post so, I'll suggest making that upgrade if you have access to e85 fuel in your area. I know it's not as available to make it convenient. I have limited access myself so have to be careful and plan my fill ups. It is well worth it though. Do you have a programmer yet? I suggest an HPTuner. Don't worry about getting the wideband version. You can get a wideband sensor that uses the CAN data bus from the data port under your dash. AEM's UEGO wideband is what you're looking for. As for your air intake, I only have the stock throttle body and intake manifold but, both ported by PRAY. Ideally though, you want the best airflow you can get going into your engine so, if you can, go big or go home. I'm monitoring the TSP situation and what they come up with.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good foundation and a solid plan going forward. Just be meticulous in the parts you select and make sure everything works together. The lifter/pushrod combo is of utmost importance. Way more than I considered when I started my build process.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
MeanGreen1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
I just completed my build with Ted so, I can speak knowledgeably on this. JRE's smooth idle cam package is probably what you want to go with. We had a whole debacle with the lifters that you can read about in my thread in this section. My advice is to just be very inquisitive about exactly what parts you're ordering. Their standard lifters for their kits are the LS7 lifters but, you can upgrade to the Johnson 2110 lifters. I'm not sure what pushrod length would be appropriate for those but, Texas Speed (where Jannetty gets their cams from) would probably be able to tell you what they recommend. Or, you could just get an adjustable pushrod and measure preload once you get the lifters installed and then order the pushrods. That would probably be the most foolproof method. The smooth idle cam though sounds like exactly what you're looking for. It does give a little bit of extra meanness at idle but, it's close to the stock sound. Not obnoxious at all. But, when you give it some gas, boy does it sound angry. It was just the sound I was looking for. I don't see e85 anywhere in your post so, I'll suggest making that upgrade if you have access to e85 fuel in your area. I know it's not as available to make it convenient. I have limited access myself so have to be careful and plan my fill ups. It is well worth it though. Do you have a programmer yet? I suggest an HPTuner. Don't worry about getting the wideband version. You can get a wideband sensor that uses the CAN data bus from the data port under your dash. AEM's UEGO wideband is what you're looking for. As for your air intake, I only have the stock throttle body and intake manifold but, both ported by PRAY. Ideally though, you want the best airflow you can get going into your engine so, if you can, go big or go home. I'm monitoring the TSP situation and what they come up with.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good foundation and a solid plan going forward. Just be meticulous in the parts you select and make sure everything works together. The lifter/pushrod combo is of utmost importance. Way more than I considered when I started my build process.
Thanks! Yeah I’ve been following your thread. A little scary for someone about to bite the bullet on a project like this but I’m glad it seems you got it straightened out now.

Based on what I’ve read I’m for sure upgrading to the 2110 or maybe 2110R,(less room for error on these though). I just received adjustable pushrods. I actually bought one in the 6.8-7.8” and two in the 7.8-8.8” length due to the factory being 7.85 and the amount of variability and untested aspects of my package.
Namely I’ve only seen one other person on here that is running the mast heads and he’s FI. They are .750” deck thickness which I read on cid site with same thickness that it is 25% over stock head. Then 2110 lifter is .045 longer than ls7 type lifter and 2110r is like .005 shorter. (Don’t quote me there but it’s listed on tsp site). The mast heads have 59.9cc chambers vs 59.02 for LT head so I may run .040 gasket to gain back a little compression.

With all those variables and especially considering what you recently went through there is no way I’d buy PR Without checking.

I don’t mind a lumpy idle as long as it doesn’t make it to easy to stall. To be fair I should probably seek mental help spending this kind of money on a car I drive a few times a year.

I would have to travel at least an hour maybe more for e85. But I’m still thinking of doing flex fuel to have for trips.

I have that can bus aem wide band setup like pray recommends. And definitely will buy hptuners with 4 credits soon.
I appreciate your feedback it seems a little slow around here compared to the early 6th gen days. But at least Facebook has taken most of the idiots with them too.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
Nabush

Drives: 2017 C7 GS M7 / 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen1LE View Post
Thanks! Yeah I’ve been following your thread. A little scary for someone about to bite the bullet on a project like this but I’m glad it seems you got it straightened out now.

Based on what I’ve read I’m for sure upgrading to the 2110 or maybe 2110R,(less room for error on these though). I just received adjustable pushrods. I actually bought one in the 6.8-7.8” and two in the 7.8-8.8” length due to the factory being 7.85 and the amount of variability and untested aspects of my package.
Namely I’ve only seen one other person on here that is running the mast heads and he’s FI. They are .750” deck thickness which I read on cid site with same thickness that it is 25% over stock head. Then 2110 lifter is .045 longer than ls7 type lifter and 2110r is like .005 shorter. (Don’t quote me there but it’s listed on tsp site). The mast heads have 59.9cc chambers vs 59.02 for LT head so I may run .040 gasket to gain back a little compression.

With all those variables and especially considering what you recently went through there is no way I’d buy PR Without checking.

I don’t mind a lumpy idle as long as it doesn’t make it to easy to stall. To be fair I should probably seek mental help spending this kind of money on a car I drive a few times a year.

I would have to travel at least an hour maybe more for e85. But I’m still thinking of doing flex fuel to have for trips.

I have that can bus aem wide band setup like pray recommends. And definitely will buy hptuners with 4 credits soon.
I appreciate your feedback it seems a little slow around here compared to the early 6th gen days. But at least Facebook has taken most of the idiots with them too.
Having tried several cams myself...
I would go with a mild cam setup. Too many tradeoff with the stage 3-4 cams IMO.
On my side I finally went for a full Katech Stage 2 setup on my C7 GS. Made 555WHP/490WTQ, and idles like stock.
I would go Katech or Pray setup. Katech has way more experience building racing engines and doing research but I keep hearing good stuff about Pray (idk about durability though)
Nabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
MeanGreen1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabush View Post
Having tried several cams myself...
I would go with a mild cam setup. Too many tradeoff with the stage 3-4 cams IMO.
On my side I finally went for a full Katech Stage 2 setup on my C7 GS. Made 555WHP/490WTQ, and idles like stock.
I would go Katech or Pray setup. Katech has way more experience building racing engines and doing research but I keep hearing good stuff about Pray (idk about durability though)
Yeah pray has a good rep on here for sure and has for a while.
What kind of compromises did you experience with more aggressive grinds?
Old 09-26-2020, 06:57 AM   #6
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Pray has some crazy renegade package that makes impressive power with no outward signs of mods or cam lope.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
bhillakaiceberg

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 2017 1SS
Quote:
Looking for thoughts opinions advice on a heads cam intake project for 17 SS 1LE.

Going for obnoxiously fun but not annoying to drive. Fast but not really looking to set any records here. It is definitely not a daily driver. Probably 2k or less per year. I really want to eventually do hpde events,(2-3 a year maybe).

Not into roll racing but need to put my brother in his place. Might even take it to the strip when I’m more ok with breaking stuff and have another fun street car.

Finally started buying parts And tools and so far have tsp headers 1 7/8 off-road (May be giving up power here but better fit and less clanging is worth it. ) Rotofab dry

Also have mast black label heads with their .680 springs hollow intake solid exhaust. (I was hooked by their Labor Day sale 625$ off) ordered.

Wanting to go with Johnson 2110 lifters and tsp roller rockers. Also probably will buy ati under-drive pulley since I’m in there anyways. Lifters are scarce these days it seems.

Pretty sure going in car route and will drop Oil pan and do c5r chain. (Have 2 post lift)

So with all that in addition to wanting reasonable valve-train stability I’m mostly looking for input on camshaft and intake.

I’ve followed pray on here since early 2017 when I ordered my car and wow the progress he’s made with this platform is However being that he is a one man show, (except for his wife) one has to wonder if he has time for these relatively simple builds these days. He’s also heavy into chasing numbers right now and kinda seems rather miserable with the whole thing.

I’ve also been reading posts from some of the more knowledgeable types on here and have become intrigued by the softer ramp rate on cam motion cams. Will this really prolong valve train life and reduce potential for valve float. I’d go with Ted Jannetty for tuning if I went this direction. He seems like he would be super helpful and I think it’s awesome how much enthusiasm he shows on his videos and posts being in the business so long.

Whatever I go with I don’t want to fly cut and want to stay under .650 lift on both .
Intake: Lt2 is all the rage and the performance to $ is awesome! I tend to side with function over form but naked it’s pretty ugly.
Msd is obviously a great choice but the lt2 makes it seem unfairly priced now.
Actually really want to see more info on BTR intake for this platform. I believe tsp also has one as well. If either fit under our hoods and undercut msd I’d be lining up. Holley high ram is great and while I have much respect for the builds that utilize it. I just can’t cut my hood, I think I might die a little inside.
Would go with ported 95 lt5 or katec 103 tb.

Probably shoot for 7k fuel cut and really not interested in replacing rod bolts.

So any advice on the options I listed or other I didn’t would be great. Would love to read thoughts on where I should be cam grind spec wise with what I’m looking for.
Thanks

Sounds like a SS3 camshaft from GPI is exactly what you are looking for. PM me if you want more details.

2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Auto
9.29 @144.57mph ALL MOTOR SBE

#TEAMGPI Gwatney Performance Innovation

bhillakaiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #8
17camaroSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS
So, you’re heads are big boy heads and tbh would probably be better with an SS3 or SS4 NFC from GPI in my opinion.
17camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #9
MeanGreen1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17camaroSS View Post
So, you’re heads are big boy heads and tbh would probably be better with an SS3 or SS4 NFC from GPI in my opinion.
Yes; with these heads I don’t want to be to tame or I’m leaving way to much on the table.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:12 AM   #10
Robby23

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:

Thanks
I have prays stage 3 cam. drives like stock until you hit it. Looking back at it i would have done flycutting and went with a bigger cam from him if i could do it again.
2018 1SS M6 - OTR intake, HI Ram intake, Ceramic Coated TSP Headers Catless, AWE Touring Axle-Back, Flex Fuel, Pray Performace stage 3 cam, TSP ported heads, Pray Ported 95MM TB and Ported HI-RAM. SJM Line-Lock. F14 Drag Pack 17's with front skinnies. Tuned by Pray Performance.
Robby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
MeanGreen1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby23 View Post
I have prays stage 3 cam. drives like stock until you hit it. Looking back at it i would have done flycutting and went with a bigger cam from him if i could do it again.
Doing fly cut reliefs is tempting but I’ve got to draw the line somewhere. I’m already taking a big bite with doing this project at home, (hopefully not more than I can chew)
Have also been tempted to do arp rod bolts to be able to get safer rpm limits. But being that I’m not willing to cut my hood I’m going to run out if air with intake. Again unless the new tsp or btr versions flow really well and still fit under hood.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #12
17camaroSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS
I honestly wouldn’t be worried about putting arp rod bolts in unless you’re going with an aftermarket rod.
17camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #13
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm extremely interested in this thread. I think my ideal setup would be a NA motor on 93. No extra weight on the front end of the vehicle and no worry about tight ring gaps on the LT1s. I wish "oldman" was around because he would be great to weigh in on this one. He spoke at length about the longevity of a gradual ramp, sub 600 lift cam from Cam Motion. One other thing I have been tracking is lifter selection. It seems the Johnson 2110 is the premier lifter choice but I believe I have seen multiple references to the fact that they should live under 630 lift. The link below is an example. I would love to see all NA dyno tests with 93. I live near Vengeance but I read everything I can by Jannetty and I know that Pray is awsome as well. Wish he were on here more.

https://www.tickperformance.com/john...nes-part-2110/
GAOLDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #14
MeanGreen1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAOLDGUY View Post
I'm extremely interested in this thread. I think my ideal setup would be a NA motor on 93. No extra weight on the front end of the vehicle and no worry about tight ring gaps on the LT1s. I wish "oldman" was around because he would be great to weigh in on this one. He spoke at length about the longevity of a gradual ramp, sub 600 lift cam from Cam Motion. One other thing I have been tracking is lifter selection. It seems the Johnson 2110 is the premier lifter choice but I believe I have seen multiple references to the fact that they should live under 630 lift. The link below is an example. I would love to see all NA dyno tests with 93. I live near Vengeance but I read everything I can by Jannetty and I know that Pray is awsome as well. Wish he were on here more.

https://www.tickperformance.com/john...nes-part-2110/
Cool! Sounds like we are looking for pretty similar things here.
I too learned a lot from the thread in reference and others with oldman and kinglt1.

I’m unfortunately pretty stuck with 91 around here and while I may do flex fuel sensor I won’t have many chances to utilize it without traveling over an hour.

I may be looking at somewhere in between what oldman recommends and all out performance. I’m kinda liking the cam motion titan three with .630/.621. I may also spend the 30 bucks to have them spec a custom one for me.

https://cammotion.com/gen-5-lt-camsh...226-238-113-3/

Tags
cam, heads