Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
Snowbird12

Drives: 2017 2 SS vert
To paint or not to paint

My Hyper Blue 17 SS with 4900 miles on it ,was pelted. With road debris on a super hwy that without any warning became a construction site where the contractor didnt sweep the road off after taking off the top layer over night
The question here is should I have it totally refinished or just paint the front , hood and front fenders and replace the $3400 head lights.
There are chips here and there down the sides also.
It also needs a windshield
Will it diminish the value?
The repaint estimate was $13000
I well know Corvette shop who does great work is doing it.
By the way the contruction company refuses to pay the claim and the government who hired them won’t also
Snowbird12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
We had a similar situation with our brand new Scion XB that got caught behind a sand truck in the New Mexico Winter. The windshield and every body panel except the back tailgate were blasted. The affected panels looked like victims of a shotgun attack. Our body shop advised us to take the insurance money and trade the car in for a new one so that's what we did. The final dollar figures were close to the same, and we ended up with new factory paint without a repaint showing up on Carfax.
ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Yeah a complete repaint will easily be evident and will effect the value greatly. Nothing is better than the factory paint. I say trade it in if it bothers you.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Yeah a complete repaint will easily be evident and will effect the value greatly. Nothing is better than the factory paint. I say trade it in if it bothers you.
Debatable on that factory paint comment. The paint from factory is crap is on these cars. A repaint, while possibly noticeable, would at least allow for a stronger paint to be put on.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Snowbird12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Camaro View Post
Debatable on that factory paint comment. The paint from factory is crap is on these cars. A repaint, while possibly noticeable, would at least allow for a stronger paint to be put on.
This Corvette shop is one of the best around,they did my 89 Vette better than the factory paint , no orange peel
They will take it apart , no over spray in the fender wheels etc
Old 04-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
StormSS
Banned

Drives: 2018 2SS
This happened to a friend in his truck. He went to the contractors office and they agreed to pay for the paint job. Might want to give it a try
StormSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
did you contact the highway department? they are liable.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #8
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird12 View Post
This Corvette shop is one of the best around,they did my 89 Vette better than the factory paint , no orange peel
They will take it apart , no over spray in the fender wheels etc
For the repaired panels to match, you will want the shop to replicate factory orange peel unless you repaint the whole car. Without orange peel, the panels won't match the factory finish. I spent years on the indoor car show circuit with customs and rods. All of them had slick show quality paint because they were trailered and driven only on perfect days. I had to be obsessively careful with these "perfect" paint jobs because they showed the slightest rag scratch. A little bit of orange peel on a daily driver will hide some spider web marks, smudges, and swirls that jump out on paint that has been wet sanded and buffed multiple times. I've attached a photo of our 32 with show quality (expensive) paint that had been sanded and buffed with five stages. I'd think about this in relation to the intended use of your Camaro.
Attached Images

Last edited by ac-427; 04-22-2019 at 03:08 PM.
ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
Snowbird12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
did you contact the highway department? they are liable.
I have contacted everyone concerned with the hwys and spoke to the company.
Even though 10 other people called about damage on their cars the day I repoerted this,the paving company refuses to believe me
Its been 6 months and they apparently are still investigating this.
Funny thing is the paving company person is a paralegal, and very rude.
My insurance company contacted her and. Got the same attitude
Old 04-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you need a lawyer.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Sorry to hear about your car's paint. Sounds like a top notch paint shop if you can get your insurance to pay for the damages. My DD Honda was completely repainted a couple years ago, and the new paint is far better than the OEM paint and much easier to maintain and correct. It was repainted with the orange peel.

I don't see how a repaint would be worse on value than the damage to your original paint. You're worse off on value if it's not repaired and you try to sell it or trade.

You're in for a long battle with the road construction co.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote