Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 04-02-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS - UPDATE

I have had the tires for a couple of months now and I have a mini update...

They work really good in the cold - 27°F

They work great in the rain, we had a wicked south eastern thunderstorm with a heavy down pour and I felt fine the entire time driving.

No "hot weather" yet but it is coming and I will report back.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:27 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I was most curious on snow, the previous version I'd concur with everything you said but they were bad on anything more than a dusting of snow. I needed more than that, a little bit, and stepped up this winter for the PA4 winter performance tire and it was much better on light snow and a superb tire in cold/wet/dry.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Mine did NOT like snow....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
FarmerFran

I guess I should have stated, they will never see snow. I want a superior cold weather/wet/dry tire. And these so far are quite a bit better than the AS3

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:31 PM   #5
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
10/10 review, would read again.

I take it people that don’t need dedicated winter tires get A/S? Not totally summer but enough to keep you out of trouble on those chilly mid-west days? Is it worth sacrificing full summer tire grip for a few weeks of almost-winter weather? These are the questions that need answering.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #6
FarmerFran

I will be able to answer those when the weather gets a tad warmer here. These tires grip as good as the GY so far up to about 70°F

Old 04-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #7
VT-1LE

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE Satin Steel Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I have had the tires for a couple of months now and I have a mini update...

They work really good in the cold - 27°F

They work great in the rain, we had a wicked south eastern thunderstorm with a heavy down pour and I felt fine the entire time driving.

No "hot weather" yet but it is coming and I will report back.
What size do you have. I bought a set from a guy on here (super nice guy). They were on after market lookalike SS 1LE rims. He had them on a 50th convertible but sold the car. They are 275/35 fronts and 305/35 I think I will need to relocate a wire on the driver side rear if I want to run them.

Curious about your situation and if you had to make any adjustments to your car.
VT-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
They work really good in the cold - 27°F.
Cold? That's not cold! Back in my day...

Just kidding. Seriously, that's a pretty impressive data point. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #9
FarmerFran

In the 80f heat the hook very weil

Old 04-09-2021, 09:24 AM   #10
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post

I take it people that don’t need dedicated winter tires get A/S? Not totally summer but enough to keep you out of trouble on those chilly mid-west days? Is it worth sacrificing full summer tire grip for a few weeks of almost-winter weather? These are the questions that need answering.
To try and answer that I needed more snow capability than an A/S but I don' tneed a snow/ice/studless tire so I settled in the middle for the PA4 Performance winter tire and I was very happy with those, extremely pleased. I didn't feel trapped in light snow like I have with an A/S in the past.
Given we had a winter with not much snow fall.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:27 AM   #11
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaska View Post

Correct, My Camaro is my DD and while I will not see much weather below 40°F here we do get some winters that are colder than others and I would just rather not risk the summer only in that instance. I do not push the car that hard to worry about the minor drop in performance on hot summer days. I do not go anywhere if it snows around here. I moved from a snow state to a "non-snow" state and a lot of people here are just not used to the snow and drive like knuckleheads, so I just stay home. It usually (literally) only lasts a few hours or maybe a day before the roads are clear. This year we got about 2-3" overnight and by noon you could not tell it snowed. In an "emergency" situation I have my truck if I needed to go out.

So yes. for me I only need AS tires. for Dry/Wet/Cold - not snow

Old 04-11-2021, 06:28 AM   #12
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-1LE View Post
What size do you have. I bought a set from a guy on here (super nice guy). They were on after market lookalike SS 1LE rims. He had them on a 50th convertible but sold the car. They are 275/35 fronts and 305/35 I think I will need to relocate a wire on the driver side rear if I want to run them.

Curious about your situation and if you had to make any adjustments to your car.
Stock SS size. 245 front/ 275 rear so no adjustments

Old 05-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I switched over to these tires 2 days ago. Seems like slightly less noise than the General Gmax. I'll do an SPL measurement this week on the same stretch of road I used to measure the Generals.
I don't get the growl. The change from Comp 2 to Comp 2 Plus was a compound change. Not sure why they did that (noise?, grip?, save 50 cents per tire in manufacturing?).
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #14
CanadianVetZL1

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I find it funny calling 27F a cold weather tire. Strange world when our tires are in danger of cracking at 20F

think i will need all seasons just to park in garage!!
Eibach Pro Lowering Kit
Oracle Side markers (Paint matched)
Rear window "wind screen"
Xpel Paint Protection
Ceramic Pro Coating
CanadianVetZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote