Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 01-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
Lemmy Camaro
Theoren Hanks

Drives: 17 Camaro SS
12V power source

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some lighting work on my interior and I need constant 12 volt power from when the door is unlocked/opened to when the car is shut off and locked. I would prefer somewhere in the cabin but I'm not sure where I can get constant 12 volt power from apart from the cigarette lighter. I would really not like to go down that path as tearing up the center console does not sound like my ideal time but if I have to I'll do what I have to do. Any ideas are greatly appreciated
Lemmy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I was watching some radar detector installs, and they tapped into the overhead console for power. check that out.
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
constant 12v implies always hot.. you want a switched 12v that is only hot when you described.

the wiring overhead works for that scenario but that only helps if you're wiring something near the roof. Pulling that wire down would be annoying.

If you are wiring something near the floor / console area, I'd recommend taking power from the rear amplifier power on signal (assuming you aren't pulling too much power)

That's probably the most easily accessible way to do it. There are plenty of others if you're willing to dig a bit either under the passenger dash or inside the center console.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:09 AM   #4
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
I am looking for a switched power source under the passenger side dash. I need to connect an accessory to the tuner module which is located in that area, in the panel right behind the glove box. Can someone point me towards the right wire to tap into in that area?
Old 06-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #5
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
If I remember right there is a empty, fused, keyed power spot in the fuse box in the trunk
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
MakCamaro
Makis

Thanks, but I don't want to go all the way back there for a switched power source. I found a wire that I can use on the brown plug that connects to the HVAC in the passenger footwell (violet/gray):
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2021, 10:47 PM   #7
GotMyCmro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
Thanks, but I don't want to go all the way back there for a switched power source. I found a wire that I can use on the brown plug that connects to the HVAC in the passenger footwell (violet/gray):
Did you get a chance to test out this wire? Did it work for 12v install? I’m looking to do some work also and getting to the cigarette lighter Wires is more work than I want to do
GotMyCmro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:37 AM   #8
MakCamaro
Makis

No, because I am still waiting for some product that I need for the installation to arrive by post.

If you are looking for a switched power in that area, the wire shown above is what you need. If however you are looking for a retained accessory power like me, I found an older thread and I searched the service manual and it seems that pin 12 (GY/VT wire) on the black connector on the driver's side under the steering column is the retained accessory power relay coil control. Therefore this wire could also be what you are looking for.