Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 01-14-2022, 03:59 PM   #1
drewspr00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Strange electrical issue involving coolant temp sensor

I've read through the forums about people having a similar issue, but I've narrowed mine down to happening under very specific circumstances that I haven't seen anyone mention before. While I doubt anyone else has this exact issue, I wanted to at least document this in case someone does in the future, as this is a frustrating issue.

The issue I'm having that others on the forums have also experienced is that on occasion, my coolant temp stays pegged at the very bottom of the gauge and as a failsafe, the cooling fans run full blast (since the car technically can't see what the coolant temp is and wants to ensure it doesn't overheat). When this happens, the AC of course also doesn't function. I read that some had decent luck disconnecting the battery and reconnecting to solve this issue, but each time I've had this issue it's corrected itself, usually within a hour or two of driving, but at worst a couple weeks.

Others have mentioned replacing the coolant temperature sensor to solve this issue permanently, but it appears that doesn't work for everyone, and for some the issue still comes back later. This left me skeptical that something else was going on here.

I started writing down every time I had this issue to keep documentation of it, and what I noticed is that it happened to me almost every time I leave to come back home after going to visit my parents. This seemed strange, so I kept thinking about it and it dawned on me. My parents are long winded, especially when I'm trying to leave, and each time I've had this happen I've had the drivers door open on the car talking to them when I started the vehicle. I wanted to confirm this theory, but as annoying as full blast fans are I wasn't willing to risk it. Unfortunately 2 days ago I was talking on the phone and had my hands full when getting in the car to go to work and started the car with the drivers door open again. Immediately the fans kicked on.

I plan on going to the dealer to have them check this out, but I'm guessing this is one of those pesky electrical gremlins issues that one can't easily diagnose or solve. Just wanted to share my experience so that if anyone else is dealing with this, maybe I can save them some frustration.

Thanks!
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #2
Andy2002a

Drives: n/a
The fix appears to be the thermostat. Clearing the error code with a scanner will also fix it immediately.
Andy2002a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
drewspr00

Thanks for the info. I may try replacing the thermostat. I've had this issue happen like 6 times in the last couple years and only gotten a check engine light once.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
Andy2002a

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspr00 View Post
Thanks for the info. I may try replacing the thermostat. I've had this issue happen like 6 times in the last couple years and only gotten a check engine light once.
I used to get it after long drives but it would also occur randomly sometimes.
Andy2002a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2002a View Post
The fix appears to be the thermostat.
How? Is the thermostat sticking in the open position? If so, this would be pretty easy to verify by turning the heater to high and getting cool air.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:42 AM   #6
drewspr00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
How? Is the thermostat sticking in the open position? If so, this would be pretty easy to verify by turning the heater to high and getting cool air.
I'm not too sure on this either, but my heat definitely still works when this issue is happening.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Based on your symptoms, I would start with replacing the coolant temp sensor. Cheap part and access is not so bad. And these can have intermittent failures, and would account for a reading of zero on the temp gauge.
Guess #2 would be the sensor connection, as opposed to the sensor itself.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #8
drewspr00

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't know why it only fails when starting with the door open and is super consistent doing it every single time I try it. From what everyone is saying though, replacing the thermostat and/or coolant temp sensor is the way to go.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:37 PM   #9
jonnyThrice

Drives: Camaro RS convertible
I have the exact same problem, and its driving me crazy!!! In the beginning, I got a check engine light, coolant temp was pegged at ZERO, fans would go crazy and AC wouldnt work. A simple reset with an OBD scanner would fix everything, and the car would be fine for a few hundred miles.

Finally I got annoyed with it, and changed the temp sensor to a brand new AC DELCO unit. Worked fine for a while and then it started happening again. Sometimes I'd get no CEL and sometimes I would, but the temp would always go to ZERO, fans go crazy, AC doesnt work. Always the same fix, clear with OBD scanner or I'd just unplug the battery and reset the computer, but a few hundred miles later, it would happen again.

It seems to be more of a computer error than anything, anyone have any ideas?

The car never overheats, temp gauge works as it should (after resetting) , I'm at my wits end!
jonnyThrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 05:29 PM   #10
beedo

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE NFG
Any fix for this, I just started having the same problem
beedo is offline   Reply With Quote