Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #15
dbuck11

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by asand1 View Post
It's my understanding that the dealership will deactivate the limiter IF you have the proper tires. YMMV.
This is great to hear but leaves me with one question thats probably a dumb one.

When I bought the car I had a deal with my dad that he would contribute however mutch to my car as I save up for so we would pay it 50/50. Because of this I used car gurus to find the best deal possible and I found my 2013 2LS with only 6k miles on it for $18k which was a score and I had the 9000 ready for it.

The only catch was that the dealership was an hour and a half from my house. Obviously that didn't stop me from buying the car, as I am here posting about it now some 2 years later.

So my question is, does it have to be the dealership that I bought it from or is it possible that the Chevy dealership 7 minutes from my house would do it for me.

I imagine the answer is going to be that I have to take a little road trip, which I guess I'm fine with but it would be nice if I didn't have to take some 4 hours out of a day to go do it. Also would my dealership charge me for it or is it something they would do for free since I purchased the car from them.
dbuck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:39 PM   #16
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck11 View Post
This is great to hear but leaves me with one question thats probably a dumb one.

When I bought the car I had a deal with my dad that he would contribute however mutch to my car as I save up for so we would pay it 50/50. Because of this I used car gurus to find the best deal possible and I found my 2013 2LS with only 6k miles on it for $18k which was a score and I had the 9000 ready for it.

The only catch was that the dealership was an hour and a half from my house. Obviously that didn't stop me from buying the car, as I am here posting about it now some 2 years later.

So my question is, does it have to be the dealership that I bought it from or is it possible that the Chevy dealership 7 minutes from my house would do it for me.

I imagine the answer is going to be that I have to take a little road trip, which I guess I'm fine with but it would be nice if I didn't have to take some 4 hours out of a day to go do it. Also would my dealership charge me for it or is it something they would do for free since I purchased the car from them.
If that is really a thing, any Chevy dealer will do it. However, I find it silly that a dealership takes on the liability of just screwing with your factory settings because you decided to get rims and tires.

Here's an alternative. Save some money, buy some upgrades then get a tune. Keep in mind, tune means you kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye (depending on your in-service date, that might already be done anyway though)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #17
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
dbuck, another very useful thing to de-tune is have them activate proper paddle shift mode on your 2LS. you prolly only currently have the paddle shift mode that just selects highest gear. cannot recall what GM calls it, EGM, or something like that.
that can be removed in a tune so the paddles actually shift the trans.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #18
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
It's my understanding that the dealership will deactivate the limiter IF you have the proper tires. YMMV.
Nope
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #19
dbuck11

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
dbuck, another very useful thing to de-tune is have them activate proper paddle shift mode on your 2LS. you prolly only currently have the paddle shift mode that just selects highest gear. cannot recall what GM calls it, EGM, or something like that.
that can be removed in a tune so the paddles actually shift the trans.
I do know about how manual only selects the top gear which I have found very annoying. Does anyone even know why Chevy/GM would even make it that way? Glad to hear that it can be fixed in a tune, definitely is another good reason to do a tune. Although I think if I'm going to be spending 300+ on it I'll still wait to have some mods on the car first to make the most out of my money.
dbuck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #20
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
I do know about how manual only selects the top gear which I have found very annoying. Does anyone even know why Chevy/GM would even make it that way? Glad to hear that it can be fixed in a tune, definitely is another good reason to do a tune. Although I think if I'm going to be spending 300+ on it I'll still wait to have some mods on the car first to make the most out of my money.
That would be to allow you to use engine braking. Most useful on steep declines or when towing. Cars were built that way for many, many years.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #21
Kyrac0103
Kyrac

Drives: 2018 2SS A8
I have the same car you have except mine is manual, I have been to drag strip (14.8 sec @ 99.1 mph is fastest time) and been to several road course tracks (108 mph at Bowling Green is fastest speed)... I checked into this couple years ago and the only way you can turn off limiter is by a tune... I personally wanted my limiter off too but then came to realize that I really don't need to be going 120 plus mph so decided to let it go, plus it could void your warranty if you still have one, which I do til next summer... Maybe when my warranty runs out I will do it but no reason to waste my money on something I don't need when I could spend it on something that I really did want, like the new short throw shifter I just got from MGW... Now that is worth the money!!!
Kyrac0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:35 AM   #22
asand1

Drives: 2015 V6 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Nope
Don't cars with the proper tires from the factory come without a limiter?
asand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #23
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Yes the V6 RS models come with a 155 mph speed limiter due to the rating of the tires on them.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #24
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Yes the V6 RS models come with a 155 mph speed limiter due to the rating of the tires on them.
yep.oddly enough ive never gone anywhere near that fast.if OP does i hope hes not in a place exposed to the public.at least on the strip or track everyones a willing participant.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #25
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
I never topped out my 12 RS before I sold it, but my 13 1LE, with OEM GY Supercars gets cut off right at about 156/157mph in 5th. 4th gear redlines at about 139mph, 5th will take you to the limiter. This is on a LS3 of course, not sure what the gearing setup is on a LLT or LFX though, but yes, limited from the factory

Last edited by LT1Zob; 12-15-2017 at 11:22 PM.
LT1Zob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #26
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
yep.oddly enough ive never gone anywhere near that fast.if OP does i hope hes not in a place exposed to the public.at least on the strip or track everyones a willing participant.
Same I don't think I've been over 105-110 at most so far.... my limiter is off in my tune now but I will never see it.... So the 118 limit on the LS wouldn't even have hindered me yet.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #27
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
GM tech for over 10 years here, we don't have the option to pick and choose what parts of the program we can alter. It's all or nothing based on the way the vehicle is built. Only option is a custom tune.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #28
curt.r

Drives: a Chevy
Quote:
As someone with zeeo modding experience, does anyone have any advice on what kind of performance upgrades I should be looking at to save up for in the future. I know one of the first things that I am looking into is a cold air intake unless anyone here has a better mod to begin with. I'm also looking into a new exhaust for the badass factor.
Aside from a CAI and exhaust, another couple mods I'd suggest in the future are: a vitesse throttle controller, and BBK LT Headers w/Hi Flo cats (or catless, if that's your thing).

The CAI is definitely a great first mod to start with. It's very simple to install and it's one of the cheapest things you can do to really change the look of your engine bay. As for the exhuast, I'd suggest the MRT v1 axleback exhaust system.
curt.r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013 ls, rims, speed limiter, tires, tune