Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #239
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
It may be faster on the shorter tracks but on the high speed tracks like the 'ring', the additional spoilers added for down force may make it slower on the high speed portions of the track. Either way, this thing will be a world beater.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #240
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Wasn't there a camouflaged test mule that crashed at the ring? Was wondering if that was the 1LE.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #241
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Wasn't there a camouflaged test mule that crashed at the ring? Was wondering if that was the 1LE.
yep
Old 02-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #242
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #243
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Got to love it...this ZL1 1le is going to kick some serious butt on the track, Ferrari's and Lambo's were put on notice yesterday!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #244
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
OK. Now what? 1LE / ZL1 is out. 3 seconds faster on GM track....

What will 1LE Do? Longer track...more time to shave. 6 seconds? 8? 10 Seconds?
10 seconds might be conservative here.

Based on the 5th gen Z/28 & ZL1, the Nurburgring takes almost exactly 4x longer to complete. So if you save 3 seconds at Milford, I would expect that you could chop off 12 in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave View Post
It may be faster on the shorter tracks but on the high speed tracks like the 'ring', the additional spoilers added for down force may make it slower on the high speed portions of the track. Either way, this thing will be a world beater.
While the 'ring is big and has an enormous straightaway, its generally considered to be a handling track. A normal track tends to have a dozen or so turns over the course of a couple miles. Counts vary for the 'ring, but its 70 on the low end up to 170. So if you look at it in terms of average turns per mile (the 'twistiness') most tracks are going to be in the 3 to 5 range. The Nurburgring? Its at least 5, possibly 13. Thats a lot of time spent not going in a straight line with the hammer down. But its also a fairly fast track. The combination of twistiness and speed means that downforce is absolutely crucial to getting a good time.

Not only does downforce let you go faster in the corner, but you can brake later heading into the corner because you don't have to scrub off as much speed. Plus, with the higher corner exit speed you are starting faster on the next straight section. So downforce helps the car go faster almost everywhere on the track. The only place it doesn't is towards the end of a sufficiently long straight away or if the corner is so slow that downforce becomes nearly irrelevant.

So if a track resembles a paperclip, with huge straights connected by tight turns, adding downforce will probably hurt more than it helps. But if the track map looks was drawn by someone with a shaky hand, downforce will be of considerable benefit.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #245
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Dang...you sorta nailed this one down amigo. I came to this old thread to make a smart ass comment about how slow my A10 was compared to the 1LE but have to say this is down right impressive along with Sr. W's comments on the guesstimate.

Color me impressed...

Also, was it just me or did the 1LE's vid seem like it was on a much wilder / violent ride compared to the mag ride A10 vid?? Not that it was out of control mind you...just like it was on a bit more on the edge. Maybe it was the increased speed??

GM is likely having a hard time wiping the grins off their mugs I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
10 seconds might be conservative here.

Based on the 5th gen Z/28 & ZL1, the Nurburgring takes almost exactly 4x longer to complete. So if you save 3 seconds at Milford, I would expect that you could chop off 12 in Germany.

While the 'ring is big and has an enormous straightaway, its generally considered to be a handling track. A normal track tends to have a dozen or so turns over the course of a couple miles. Counts vary for the 'ring, but its 70 on the low end up to 170. So if you look at it in terms of average turns per mile (the 'twistiness') most tracks are going to be in the 3 to 5 range. The Nurburgring? Its at least 5, possibly 13. Thats a lot of time spent not going in a straight line with the hammer down. But its also a fairly fast track. The combination of twistiness and speed means that downforce is absolutely crucial to getting a good time.

Not only does downforce let you go faster in the corner, but you can brake later heading into the corner because you don't have to scrub off as much speed. Plus, with the higher corner exit speed you are starting faster on the next straight section. So downforce helps the car go faster almost everywhere on the track. The only place it doesn't is towards the end of a sufficiently long straight away or if the corner is so slow that downforce becomes nearly irrelevant.

So if a track resembles a paperclip, with huge straights connected by tight turns, adding downforce will probably hurt more than it helps. But if the track map looks was drawn by someone with a shaky hand, downforce will be of considerable benefit.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:42 PM   #246
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Got to love it...this ZL1 1le is going to kick some serious butt on the track, Ferrari's and Lambo's were put on notice yesterday!
And they are scared...

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:43 PM   #247
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
So the Zl1LE is 13 seconds faster than the standard ZL1. For comparison the 6th Gen Zl1 is 12 seconds faster than the 5TH Gen. So a simple package is making a bigger difference than a whole next gen car. Makes me wonder if chevy could have done more for the standard Zl1. Anyone want to enlighten me? Im thoroughly shocked at the time i guessed somewhere in the 19's
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #248
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

I'm surprised that not a single C7 Corvette version has set a lap time at Nürburgring, even that they have tested there. GM is hiding something. On other hand a big hurray to the new ZL1 and specially to the ZL1 1LE. Great performing American cars showing off with Euro and Japanese exotics that cost double or triple their price. How about that, on your face Jeremy Clarkson
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:07 AM   #249
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
I'd like to see a back to back of both cars on the same track on the same day withing 30 minutes of each other with the same driver without bias trying his best to wring out either car. I don't think we are comparing apples to apples here with such a time/weather variance. Just a thought....
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #250

Drives: Getaway Special
The competition is going to need a scotch on the rocks- slightly shaken!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #251
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Also, was it just me or did the 1LE's vid seem like it was on a much wilder / violent ride compared to the mag ride A10 vid?? Not that it was out of control mind you...just like it was on a bit more on the edge. Maybe it was the increased speed??
Or less progressive tire breakaway characteristics (likely if peak grip is higher).

Does anybody know anything at all about whether TC or stability control was completely disabled in either the A10 or 1LE run? Or was "on" at least loosely in both but with a slightly more restrictive calibration in the A10 car?

It's a truly remarkable achievement. Wish we could know more about the setup.

Norm
Old 06-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #252
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
So the Zl1LE is 13 seconds faster than the standard ZL1. For comparison the 6th Gen Zl1 is 12 seconds faster than the 5TH Gen. So a simple package is making a bigger difference than a whole next gen car. Makes me wonder if chevy could have done more for the standard Zl1. Anyone want to enlighten me? Im thoroughly shocked at the time i guessed somewhere in the 19's
If you look at the equipment used on the ZL1 1LE...very little of it was applicable to the regular ZL1. Which is intended to be a street car that can excel on the track. DOT-R comp tires...Carbon Fiber Wing....expensive, and very stiff DSSV dampers...

The ZL1 1LE is a race car that can be used on the street...so they could get away with more. I think what this speaks to is that the standard ZL1 is an incredible foundation to build on. Think of it - they didn't touch the powertrain or brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Or less progressive tire breakaway characteristics (likely if peak grip is higher).

Does anybody know anything at all about whether TC or stability control was completely disabled in either the A10 or 1LE run? Or was "on" at least loosely in both but with a slightly more restrictive calibration in the A10 car?

It's a truly remarkable achievement. Wish we could know more about the setup.

Norm
I would wager a guess that the systems were in Sport II, or Race Mode in the A10...they seemed "all off" in the ZL1 1LE video.