Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
moloko

Drives: Camaro V6 2011 and 2014 V6
Coolant works hot always, overheated once

Good morning, everyone. I have a 2011 RS Camaro a little over a year ago. In short, a week after I bought the vehicle, I heard the alarm saying that the engine was overheated and that I had to stop, so I did. The next day I noticed that the coolant was almost empty, I filled it up but I could never use the vehicle for more than 15 minutes without overheating the engine. It was leaking coolant so boiled it was in the water. I was frustrated. The temperature was over 245º F in just a few minutes after starting up.
I changed the radiator, hoses, water pump and thermostat but the vehicle was still heating. Then we remove the heating radiator. From there I am using it without problems, but I have to be constantly monitoring the temperature and it is tiring.
My Video

THE PROBLEM OF LEAK AND OVERHEATING HAS SOLVED LAST YEAR!!

But..

I saw that my vehicle always goes to 226º F and then electrofans start going to 225º F- 230º F and then start to cool the engine to 219º F and the electric fans turn off. I'd like to know if it's possible to program the fans to run on 215º F to keep the engine cooler as I'm not comfortable keeping it warm all the time with the risk of it overheating again. I appreciate any help

Last edited by moloko; 06-19-2018 at 08:31 AM.
moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
You might have popped a headgasket when it overheated the first time.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Yes, you can tune your fans turn on/off with programs like HP Tuners. Also, when you refilled it, did you "burp" the system and make sure all air pockets are gone?
Are your temperatures being taken when the AC is on? Cruising down highway? Sitting in traffic in summer sun?

My car will hit the 2xx if I am running the AC and sitting or slowly moving and I have a dual core 1.25" tube radiator with twin Spal PWM fans that move over 4000cfm together.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
You have to fix the underlying problem, not simply adjust the fan temperature actuation settings.....popped head gasket, restricted flow somewhere. When you say the coolant is almost empty, are you referring to the recovery tank, or the Radiator, or both? You’re using GM approved Coolant right?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
airheads

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Synergy Green Camaro
You may still have a leak. Did you look at the fitting into the engine block? I have a 2011 and coolant was leaking from that fitting. It's a known problem. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...t=Coolant+leak
airheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #6
moloko

Hello!

Im not have any leak of coolant or oil. Its solved last year.. The vehicle's running fine, I haven't had a single leak in over nine months. The video I posted its old, please ignore him. The problem are solved.

On the road (70 mph) my car runs at 210º F, sometimes a little less, but in traffic jammed the temperature rises to 226º F and there the electric fans are activated, sometimes the temperature reaches 231º F and that bothers me, all because the electric fan starts too late... When I turn on the AC (fans turn on) the coolant temperature drops faster. All this indicates that if my fans started at a lower temperature my motor would work cooler, I would like to change the setting of my electric fan to start not at 226º F, but at 215º F, just that!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
gringo
Account Suspended

That's still too hot. Mine hovers around 185-195 sitting in traffic. Only time it gets above 200* is idling when the A/C is on full blast with ambient temps above 100*. However, no matter the conditions, I've never seen above 210-215* ever.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
moloko

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
That's still too hot. Mine hovers around 185-195 sitting in traffic. Only time it gets above 200* is idling when the A/C is on full blast with ambient temps above 100*. However, no matter the conditions, I've never seen above 210-215* ever.
Mines drops to 206º F when I use AC (for the fans on) All this problems are for the fans, are very lazy, just work when the coolant are too hot, in 227º F
Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #9
moloko

Problems started again..

Fan kicks (at very low speed) in 228 Fº, but the temperature continues to rise up to 242 Fº and then the right fan is activated at 100% thus slowly cooling the coolant and then at 239 Fº the fan speed drops back (40%).

This problem had been corrected (fan kicks 228Fº and temps low to 205 Fº) but after one year it came back this weekend, the engine wants to overheat again, the difference is that now it does not lose more refrigerant as last year.

It bothers me that my fans turn on late and at low speed.

I took a workshop to program with HP Tuners but the mechanic told me that he couldn't connect the scanner to my Camaro, that the PCM was with corrupt data.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:14 AM   #10
gringo
Account Suspended

Have you replaced the fan temp sensors? Maybe when you let it overheat that one time they got damaged.

I'd thoroughly check the fan circuit for any problems with bad wiring, weak grounds or bad relays. The fact that the fans always turn on late and on low speed means there's a problem in the low to high speed fan circuit. The factory service manual would be the best option to diagnose something like this.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #11
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Hmm, ok, firstly, it sounds like maybe the system still has air in and must be bled. Once you have bled the cooling system, you can determine if your thermostat is sticking closed not allowing cooling fluid into the engine through to the radiator to cool it off. what I do is to squeeze the top and lower rad hoses whiel the car is running and run dexcool into the engine ( I know it's expensive, but the car is worth it.) you should start seeing bubbles from the radiator filler neck, oh did I mention keep the cap off.
Another thing, if the cap is really easy to screw on then the seal is bad and must be replaced, like 12 bucks (us) for a cap.
keep tabs on the coolant temp. When the system is bled properly and filled properly, with the tstat operating normally, the fans usually should kick on around 221-223 degs.
With the issues I had, a large bubble somewhere, my fans wouldn't kick in until around 230 degs. so yea, there was an air bubble issue. So now mine kicks in after a new cap to finish it off after a new tstat, coolant and cap, at around 221, if it even gets there now. Used to get to 221 pretty quick before I replaced my cap, thought I had a leak but it was pushing pressure out the cap. I hope this helps some with my experience.

Tags
engine, fan, hot, water coolant