Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
plg3rd

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS 6MT
2010 Camaro SS vs BMW e60 M5

hey guys i traded in my 350z for a camaro ss m6 last summer. i love the cars speed and its overall ride(except in the snow). but it wasnt a car i always desired to have. i just wanted affordable and faster car that had back seats at the time. moving on....

the E60 M5 is a car i always desired to own. it has speed luxury and lots of space. my dad bought a bmw 750 when i got my camaro and i fell in love with the performance of the car even more than the camaro.

i been looking at some used M5s with less than 30 or 40K mileage and was wondering performance wise how much faster is the M5? also do you think the gas is noticeably worse than the Camaro's gas?
plg3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Miles 45thCSS

Drives: 45th Anniversary Edition 2012 2SS
They are considerably faster, especially top end. But be careful because they are maintenance nightmares. Go look on the beemer forums and theres loads of horror stories.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
My friend just purchased a 2009 BMW e60 M5. I love the interior, exterior and everything about it. He let me drive it on the Dallas highways. The car is no slouch and has incredible top end. The gas mileage will be worse, it's a V10. From a dig, "I think" the LS3/L99 Camaro will take the lead but the M5 will catch up fast, then fly away. My friend and I like to run them but busy schedules.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
plg3rd

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS 6MT
thanks for the info
plg3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
PhilE

Drives: suv
I just purchased a BMW e60 M5 and I can say that the ride and handling was awesome, something BMW get so right compared to fast audi's. Most progressive car I have ever driven as well.
PhilE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
M cars are always going to be very , very expensive to maintain but the exhaust note is the bees knees.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles 45thCSS View Post
They are considerably faster, especially top end. But be careful because they are maintenance nightmares. Go look on the beemer forums and theres loads of horror stories.
It always amazes me the perception and reality......
A quick query on YouTube of Camaro SS vs M5 and you will see the Camaro wins most of the time.......

That is one sanctioned race but there are more video after video showing these cars are pretty even in a drag......

I just think some cars you are driving fast and they feel like they are going fast...... Others are just smoother in their delivery.....

But query it on YouTube and you will see the Camaro's top end is quite NICE afterall it was built to run on the autobahn.....
Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
It always amazes me the perception and reality......
A quick query on YouTube of Camaro SS vs M5 and you will see the Camaro wins most of the time.......

That is one sanctioned race but there are more video after video showing these cars are pretty even in a drag......

I just think some cars you are driving fast and they feel like they are going fast...... Others are just smoother in their delivery.....

But query it on YouTube and you will see the Camaro's top end is quite NICE afterall it was built to run on the autobahn.....
The E60 M5 or M6 will roast the SS in the high end even the current CTS-V has a hard time with this car are you serious.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD_SS View Post
From a dig, "I think" the LS3/L99 Camaro will take the lead but the M5 will catch up fast, then fly away. My friend and I like to run them but busy schedules.
Not sure about the older M5's, but the new ones should beat the Camaro from a dig and a roll. My buddy has a car that is a good bit faster than STOCK Camaro V8s. He ran a brand new M5 a couple months ago and only got it by a car length from a dig. His car is setup for drag racing (it has 4.10 gears), not roll racing, so he would have lost to the M5 from a roll.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #10
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
The speed of the M5 is one thing, the cost is another. Adding in the maintence cost, you could easily have a camaro much faster while being more reliable.