#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Nabush

Drives: 2017 C7 GS M7 / 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Camaro SS 1LE vs C7 GrandSport

Hello Guys,

I'm Alex, a french guy moving to the US for work (Boise, Id), as there is a big plant of my french compagny there

I'm passionate about cars since my childhood.

Mostly europeans ones at the beginning, i was not much of a fan of american cars, corvette and viper aside perhaps.

But now, since 5 years American cars made giant steps in performance and quality, and are now as good if not sometimes better than their european counterparts, all for a lot cheaper....

One important matter : I'm a track guy. I did a lot of Roadcourses with a track big prep 350Z HR (Le Mans and other french tracks) and i daily drive a RenaultSport Megane 3 RS 275 Trophy.

I also love spirited driving on mountain/canyon roads

As i can't stay without a sport car too long without beeing depressed, i'm considering to buy one of these cars soon after my arrival :

- 2017 C7 Corvette GrandSport
- 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Style wise and Performance wise (around the track) the Corvette wins hands down for me. But, there is a big but, the budget is not the same...

Ideally i'd like a Z07 package on the vette, and it would be a 75-80k$ budget min since the car is new...

And that's where comes the 1LE : i like the style (though less than the vette) and it seems to be quite a hell of a performance/price bargain at 40-45k$. It seems it is as fast as a C7 Z51 if not faster.

I also like the Z06 C6 (used, around same price than the 1LE) but the LS7 is a piece of crap in terms of reliability....valve guides to change every 15 000 miles)

So i'm seriously considering this 1LE as a first sport car in the US... and buying a GS/Z06 few years later.

Or do you think the C7 GS is so much better than i shoud wait a little and spend 20-30k more ?

I don't know if there are a lot of people who drove both here...

Thanks for your advice.

Alex
Nabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Hi, I drove both before buying and there was not much difference on the street. IMO the Camaro feels a little bit tighter. I preferred the GS seats, driving position, cog, and front windshield, while I liked the 1LE assembly quality, transmission, quieter cabin noise, and ease of parking. Steering feel, power, exhaust noise, and ride quality were very similar.

If you want the ultimate track weapon and something that looks like an exotic get the Vette, if you want something a little more understated and easy to drive around town while still being track capable get the 1LE.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Btw look up kerbeck chevy and Macmulkan Chevy you can get amazing deals on a GS 1lt 58k I was also able to find a zo6 17 on eBay New for 71k you can have it shipped for 1200 enclosed they are high volume discount corvette dealers

I had a z51 c7 absolutely love it esp targa top , its flashy , you have to decide if you want that flashy look the vette draws tons of attention the camaro flies under the radar . I found the electronics and dials in the c7 better and I absolutely miss taking the top off . The trunk in the vette is actually more useable vs camaro . There is something amazing about top off Canyon driving in the sun

But the 1le I am completely happy with and decided it's easier to daily drive and fly under the radar. I tracked the c7 z51 which is pretty close to the GS and it was a beast I'm waiting for spring to track the 1le. So far th 1le seats feel better and I love the suede I also feel the camaro is built from the vette and there is something just newer and better in design with the 1le like they had more time to add coolers etc

I think the camaro supercharged zl1 might be a better fit for you since you have so much experience ! Zo6 speeds! 60k Welcome
To camaro land !!! I love my 1le , I almost got a GS and decided I didn't want the flash and I wanted back seats ! My c7 was red and black and had a target all
Over me everywhere I went is that a Ferrari ???? You might like that

Th vette is like a fighter pilot the camaro the bat mobile !

Last edited by formoutofchaos; 01-07-2017 at 11:22 AM.
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Ground clearance is way better in the 1LE for practicality and price is obviously much less. I liked the GS better (targa, interior, options available), but, not for the price difference. Depreciation net amount will be much less (not talking % of price).

If you want an automatic, then, it'd be a GS (or A10 ZL1). It will be all up to your personal preference and budget.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
Nabush

Track performance aside, what i love about the C7 widebody (GS/Z06) is the look.

I don't feel like getting a ZL1. If i'm to put 60k$+ in a GM product it has to be a GS/Z06 vette.

I don't care much about dragstrip or straight line performance (460Hp is ok) , what matters to me in cornering and braking capability, general feel... In that regard I think the 1LE is better than the ZL1 since it's lighter. The ZL1 is more nose heavy because of the LT4 and the additional cooling it requires.

I saw some GS at 52k$ on cargurus, but i think it's a mistake from the dealer....no way it could be so cheap with a MSRP of 66k$ min....

The question i'm asking myself is : will i want to buy a GS vette after owning a 1LE ? Won't owning the 2 a duplicate ?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Nabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Ground clearance is way better in the 1LE for practicality and price is obviously much less. I liked the GS better (targa, interior, options available), but, not for the price difference. Depreciation net amount will be much less (not talking % of price).

If you want an automatic, then, it'd be a GS (or A10 ZL1). It will be all up to your personal preference and budget.
I can't bear automatic, only a stick for my sport cars

In terms of depreciation won't the 1LE loose more in % than a vette ?
Old 01-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Grand Sport with Z07 package badass.. if you can find it for 55k new, that would be a DEAL!

With that said, in two years I'll figure out what to do.. it's either GS or wait to find a Z06 w/z07 package.. Hopefully the new ZR1 Zora will make the Zo6 drop a bit in prices.

55k for this?? That is a bargain.

Last edited by Richard0nee; 01-07-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
I test drove a C7 GS, base model without the Z07 package, and from a street perspective, against a 2SS C6 I couldn't feel much of a difference. Based on that, I felt the 1LE would be even better, and although I did not get to test drive a 1LE, that is what I ordered. I just could not justify the price differential for a GS, and as an older guy, found the recaro's in the 1LE easier for me to get into and out of.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
I test drove a C7 GS, base model without the Z07 package, and from a street perspective, against a 2SS C6 I couldn't feel much of a difference. Based on that, I felt the 1LE would be even better, and although I did not get to test drive a 1LE, that is what I ordered. I just could not justify the price differential for a GS, and as an older guy, found the recaro's in the 1LE easier for me to get into and out of.
You're on the money.. I drove my co-workers C7 Stingray with Z51 and it didn't feel much different from my SS in terms of performance. It's just lower to the ground and a tad more nimble.

That is one reason why I'm not hopping into a C7 Stingray and even the GS, gives me some doubt. I'm after the "wow" feeling for acceleration and although the GS will have the Z06 wide fender, looks and track ready.. it won't wow me much from the SS in terms of acceleration.

1LE is just as capable as the GS in my opinion and a lot cheaper.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
Nabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
What kind of drive did you do ? By street you mean city or slow driving ?

I know the 2SS is good, but there must be a noticeable difference in sporty driving, perhaps less evident when you compare a 1LE to a GS

But on the track there is quite a big gap between the 2, at Virgnia International Raceway :

GS Z07 : 2min47
1LE : 2min 54

But you're right the price gap is big, that why i'm hesitating...

Note that i'll have to buy the cars cash since i don't have any credit history...so 20k more cash from my wallet is quite big... (i'll have to dig to see if despite having no credit history a loan would be possible for me since i have some savings...)
Old 01-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
Nabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
You're on the money.. I drove my co-workers C7 Stingray with Z51 and it didn't feel much different from my SS in terms of performance. It's just lower to the ground and a tad more nimble.

That is one reason why I'm not hopping into a C7 Stingray and even the GS, gives me some doubt. I'm after the "wow" feeling for acceleration and although the GS will have the Z06 wide fender, looks and track ready.. it won't wow me much from the SS in terms of acceleration.

1LE is just as capable as the GS in my opinion and a lot cheaper.
Yes, in terms of acceleration there is no difference.. that's quite strange because the Camaro is a lot heavier (but a tad more powerful according to dynos)...it think it's partially because of the poor gearing of the C7... Camaro 6 has better gearing. C7 Z51 has a huge drop between 3 and 4 gear.

But as i said acceleration is not my main concern.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Grand Sport with Z07 package badass.. if you can find it for 55k new, that would be a DEAL!

With that said, in two years I'll figure out what to do.. it's either GS or wait to find a Z06 w/z07 package.. Hopefully the new ZR1 Zora will make the Zo6 drop a bit in prices.

55k for this?? That is a bargain.
55k for a new GS with the Z07 package will never happen. Isn't msrp on that like 75k?
Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #13
dw760

Drives: C3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
55k for a new GS with the Z07 package will never happen. Isn't msrp on that like 75k?

I think closer to $90K with a few options !!!

Just cant beat the SS1LE performance per $$$$$

dw760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
Nabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw760 View Post
I think closer to $90K with a few options !!!

Just cant beat the SS1LE performance per $$$$$

Yes, the cheapest non Z07 GS are at 58k$...With Z07 the best deals should be around 65-70k$