Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-16-2023, 07:57 PM   #29
Jc9767

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
There is a severe shortage of trained technicians. If you have kids looking for a career it would be something to look into. Oil changes and tire work are the most basic things and the newest, least experienced personal will do that at the dealership.

Most dealerships do have quality technicians, but that doesn’t mean they will be working on your car. Warranty and accessories work is their bread and butter. I always try to build a relationship with a repair facility, trust to me is more important than price. Hard to do at large dealerships, private shops a little easier.
Jc9767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:58 PM   #30
MichaelG

Drives: 2LT
14,000 miles and I'm proud to say no one has touched my car but me. So far, no issues. Just maintenance.
01/26/21 - Delivered
MichaelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 08:02 AM   #31
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
https://youtu.be/Ii8rC6CPCvM

Immediately thought of this Ron White bit.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:36 AM   #32
len125

Drives: chevrolet camaro
delaer oil change

they dont know how to put camaro on lift, got car back and rocker panel slightly bent.....
len125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 11:16 AM   #33
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
After reading all these posts, I don't think I'll be taking advantage of that first oil change, lol. No problem using ESPx3 from autozone deal to avoid a headache and waste of time going there.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 01:03 PM   #34
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
This one time I took it in for my free oil change and they only put in 6 quarts instead of the 10 required. Long story short I got and extended warranty on the engine, 6 years 120,000 miles and it never went back to the dealership
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 01:16 PM   #35
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Exactly, it’s a bloody crapshoot taking it to a dealership
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:39 PM   #36
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

It’s funny but actually more realistic than we’d all hope. Proper procedure when removing wheels for ANY reason (brakes, suspension work, change a headlamp bulb) is to use a torque wrench to spec on the lug nuts in a star pattern after lowering the vehicle on to the ground, after using the impact gun.

That takes extra time, especially if you do all 4 wheels. If you could just sit in a chair at a dealer service dept and watch for a day how many times they remove wheels vs how many of those cars they actually check the torque on every nut on every wheel before shipping it you’d cry. Or faint.

It’s actually amazing we don’t hear about more wheels flying off on the highways of America.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:57 PM   #37
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
All my vehicles (Corvettes, Roush Mustangs Harley and Lightning pickups) have gone into the dealerships. I'm not about to change. I just had my 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate (which I have significantly more cash tied up in than the Camaro) in for its first complimentary oil change and tire rotation. As usual, zero issues. The Camaro will be going in likely by the end of the month. I've used dealers in Florida and Michigan I sure don't lose sleep or worry over it.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:08 PM   #38
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
*Laughs in Abel Chevrolet.*
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:47 PM   #39
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
All my vehicles (Corvettes, Roush Mustangs Harley and Lightning pickups) have gone into the dealerships. I'm not about to change. I just had my 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate (which I have significantly more cash tied up in than the Camaro) in for its first complimentary oil change and tire rotation. As usual, zero issues. The Camaro will be going in likely by the end of the month. I've used dealers in Florida and Michigan I sure don't lose sleep or worry over it.
+1... Same here. I've used the same dealer here by me for 25+ years. All my vehicles. Never an issue.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:18 AM   #40
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Not all dealership service departments are incompetent. There are plenty of shitty small non-dealer service shops too.

Bottom line is that everyone needs to do their due diligence and research to find a good one, dealership or not.
Spot on. Individual experiences, good or bad, are just that, and can't be headline-generalized across thousands of dealers and non-dealer shops.

Never had a issue with my Chevy dealer, though I don't get oil change done there as I refuse to spend an hour or more waiting for it.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 10:15 AM   #41
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
It’s funny but actually more realistic than we’d all hope. Proper procedure when removing wheels for ANY reason (brakes, suspension work, change a headlamp bulb) is to use a torque wrench to spec on the lug nuts in a star pattern after lowering the vehicle on to the ground, after using the impact gun.

That takes extra time, especially if you do all 4 wheels. If you could just sit in a chair at a dealer service dept and watch for a day how many times they remove wheels vs how many of those cars they actually check the torque on every nut on every wheel before shipping it you’d cry. Or faint.

It’s actually amazing we don’t hear about more wheels flying off on the highways of America.
Well for starters you would need all 4 (minimum for a small car) nuts or bolts to simultaneously come off. Or even worse drive with 3 missing and the last one about to come off. And if you simply had 4 VERY loose nuts or bolts or even one remaining nut or bolt you wouldn’t be able to drive the car without noticing. So, yes it could happen but the very loose wheel would be an indicator something was very wrong befor a wheel would actually come off.

That being said there are people that would simply use the steering wheel, accelerator peedal and brake until the car simply wouldn’t go anymore. So I would also be counting on a modicum of common sense as well.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:50 PM   #42
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc9767 View Post
There is a severe shortage of trained technicians. If you have kids looking for a career it would be something to look into. Oil changes and tire work are the most basic things and the newest, least experienced personal will do that at the dealership.

Most dealerships do have quality technicians, but that doesn’t mean they will be working on your car. Warranty and accessories work is their bread and butter. I always try to build a relationship with a repair facility, trust to me is more important than price. Hard to do at large dealerships, private shops a little easier.
I wouldn't.
Any other mechanic field pays way more (industrial mechanic, aeronautics mechanic, boat mechanic, electronic technician, etc...).
The cost of tools and training vs pay ratio is not good.

Add the type of management you will find at any dealer and you're in a bad spot.

Milton Friedman said "People vote with their feet". If techs walk away of that profession it is for a reason.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote