Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-04-2022, 11:47 AM   #141
Drnick

Drives: 22’ ZL1
Jeeze, what a “Can of Worms”, I’ve opened!
But at least it takes your mind off of what
Your paying at the pump!!!!! Heh heh!
Drnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #142
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
This topic has been rehashed 500x on many threads, it's just cotton candy
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #143
Drnick

Drives: 22’ ZL1
Yummy cotton candy, well u can ride your zx10 that should get
At least 30+ MPG, I know I’ll be riding mine!!
Drnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:45 PM   #144
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Makes sense, best of both worlds.

I may eventually pickup another Miata with a 6-speed. I find that car the most fun car to row the gears on the street with. The ZL1 may have 3x the power of the Miata but it still feels torquey with its very short gearing. 6th gear in the ND is 1:1. You can wind out gears on the street a lot more without risking jail time.

Funny you should mention the Miata as it was a consideration as well, especially the candy apple red, which IMO is one of the more stunning colors out there. I also considered the Toyobaru (Motor Trend's word not mine) twins. Hell, I even considered the Hyundai Veloster N and the Civic SI R. I finally figured I'd just go ahead and get rid of my SS Sedan (automatic) and get the ZL1. My original thought was to keep my Titan truck, the SS Sedan, and just get one of the above mentioned "manual toys". The thought of having to account for 3 vehicles though, I thought it was too much. I still would seriously tell any car enthusiast to look at a manual Miata as they're a hoot to drive.

TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:54 PM   #145
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
Funny you should mention the Miata as it was a consideration as well, especially the candy apple red, which IMO is one of the more stunning colors out there. I also considered the Toyobaru (Motor Trend's word not mine) twins. Hell, I even considered the Hyundai Veloster N and the Civic SI R. I finally figured I'd just go ahead and get rid of my SS Sedan (automatic) and get the ZL1. My original thought was to keep my Titan truck, the SS Sedan, and just get one of the above mentioned "manual toys". The thought of having to account for 3 vehicles though, I thought it was too much. I still would seriously tell any car enthusiast to look at a manual Miata as they're a hoot to drive.

Agreed. I had a GT in Soul Red. Lots of fun.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #146
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
It’s been rehashed 1 million times and every time the manual transmission guys come away mad. They usually start another thread and try again to convince the world that everybody should be driving a manual. But the forums here don’t represent reality, sales numbers do and Performance does. A10 for the win. See you in the next manual versus automatic thread
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #147
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
It’s been rehashed 1 million times and every time the manual transmission guys come away mad. They usually start another thread and try again to convince the world that everybody should be driving a manual. But the forums here don’t represent reality, sales numbers do and Performance does. A10 for the win. See you in the next manual versus automatic thread
Funny I thought it’s the auto guys convincing themselves they made the right decision and took away half of the reason they bought the car. Your the same person that said if you buy a old muscle car get a manual. LOL
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:06 PM   #148
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Ultra short shift dogbox ($$$), sign me up - synchro transmissions (even the best ones) not so much. I'm very picky about shift quality and most of them just aren't that good (rubbery/numb). The Camaro is ok

https://racetechservicesinc.com/prod...x-transmission
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #149
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:

I'm a driving enthusiast, there's no reason for me to get mad. As I stated earlier, if I was daily driving the Camaro or 1/4 mile tracking it, I most likely would've kept my SS Sedan (automatic)and just put in a turbo. I don't think either answer is wrong, as it's going to matter what your end goal is with the car. If you're strictly about pure performance, automatic hands down. If you want to feel a little more engaged, manual hands down. Sure the paddle shifters give you some of that interaction back, but there's just something about feeling as if you're more involved with the machine when you have to put in a little more effort into it. I'd compare it to hand washing a vehicle vs just driving it through an "automatic" car wash. I just find it a little more rewarding. Different strokes (or no strokes) for different folks.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #150
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

I had an interesting little cruise this afternoon which really emphasizes the discussion in here. First half of my drive was on a toll road, and I found myself pinned behind traffic. I kept having to anticipate how I traversed traffic, and that meant having to make sure I was in the appropriate gear. I had one instance where I was glad that I was in the right gear as an SUV tried to get into a lane that I was merging into. He almost side swiped me trying to get into the lane after I was already 3/4ths in.

Second half of my drive was pretty much a letdown. Got into the lane I needed to be in at a stop light (far right), a Tesla pulled into the middle lane. I anticipated that he either needed to be in my lane or the far left lane, which merges onto a highway. Either way, I figured he was going to gun it so I thought I'd follow suit. Light went green, and sure enough I bogged the takeoff. He jumped 1 car length ahead of me, but was trying to overtake the car on the left. I probably also had wheel hop and traction control intervene, which made it that much more disappointing. I'm sure an automatic would've been more competitive, but then I might as well get an EV which has only one forward gear.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #151
pauly1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I had an interesting little cruise this afternoon which really emphasizes the discussion in here. First half of my drive was on a toll road, and I found myself pinned behind traffic. I kept having to anticipate how I traversed traffic, and that meant having to make sure I was in the appropriate gear. I had one instance where I was glad that I was in the right gear as an SUV tried to get into a lane that I was merging into. He almost side swiped me trying to get into the lane after I was already 3/4ths in.

Second half of my drive was pretty much a letdown. Got into the lane I needed to be in at a stop light (far right), a Tesla pulled into the middle lane. I anticipated that he either needed to be in my lane or the far left lane, which merges onto a highway. Either way, I figured he was going to gun it so I thought I'd follow suit. Light went green, and sure enough I bogged the takeoff. He jumped 1 car length ahead of me, but was trying to overtake the car on the left. I probably also had wheel hop and traction control intervene, which made it that much more disappointing. I'm sure an automatic would've been more competitive, but then I might as well get an EV which has only one forward gear.
That’s the fun part, go do some launches and play with the settings. Anyone can get a Tesla or a automatic to launch well. Same reason I built my own house and do all my own general maintenance and fix my own appliances. Anyone can go buy a Tesla. Not everyone can launch a 650 Hp 6 speed. Have fun with it and try again. Chances are the Tesla will get you anyway but I’ve left a few in the dust on some rolls. They are just so damn perfect every time.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:46 PM   #152
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
I don’t see that at all. Everyone knows the A10 is quicker, after all, you did pay more for it. I’m fine losing while driving a manual modern day muscle car. Autos just don’t provide the feel and enjoyment I get when driving a high hp car. And as mentioned prior, some folks just can’t or blow driving manuals, it’s not for everyone and that’s ok. Everyone is different so choices are good.

One thing I have noticed while watching videos of the CT5-V and CT4-V blackwings is most recommend the manual.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:51 PM   #153
pauly1119

Older video but if you listen when he takes the ZR1 out in the beginning the most exciting part is the fact that its a manual, ZL1 1LE was only available in the 6 speed. But the biggest thing to take away is the car he picked as the best driver. You know the ZL1
Old 03-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #154
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
That’s the fun part, go do some launches and play with the settings. Anyone can get a Tesla or a automatic to launch well. Same reason I built my own house and do all my own general maintenance and fix my own appliances. Anyone can go buy a Tesla. Not everyone can launch a 650 Hp 6 speed. Have fun with it and try again. Chances are the Tesla will get you anyway but I’ve left a few in the dust on some rolls. They are just so damn perfect every time.

lol, yeah I looked at the performance for the Tesla Model Y and I'd have to be "Car&Driver perfect" with my launch in order to come close to the same 0-60 times. I still think that the Tesla will pull ahead of me initially, but since the 0-60 times are similar, it would be near 60 MPH when I'd start to even things up (them having that instant torque is why they appear faster). But as you stated, that's the fun. Just mashing the "go" pedal can be fun as well, but can sometimes seem a little too sterilized.